Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: W209s, Blue/Blue Dot, Unicorn Horn?

Boolit Buddy

W209s, Blue/Blue Dot, Unicorn Horn?

Not sure if this is the right place but wondering if anyone has seen any of these in just about forever? I haven't seen Winchester 209s or Alliant Blue Dot since before the craziness started. And it looks like IMR Blue came out and was gone. (Potentially never to be seen again.)

I've been seeing a lot of other powders and primers (except very few LRs and all very expensive) but not these. There's so much data for W209s and Blue Dot has been THE powder for magnum 12 Gauge loads for the 50 years I'm aware of.

Seen any?

John

Boolit Bub
    I haven't seen any 209 primers other than Cheddite in a long time. Cheddite 209 primers can't be substituted for Winchester 209 primers. Check the Hodgdon Reloading Data Center for 12 gauge reloading info. If there is a trap and skeet range in your area, they may be your best option on finding components for loading shotgun ammo. Good luck.

1Iron

Moderator Emeritus

No one wants Blue dot. I have excess Blue dot. I've had Blue dot on my gunshow table for the last few years, no buyers. At one point, I even tried selling it here through S&S for local pickup and/or meetup at gunshow.

NOTE: this is not a sales ad, I am not currently selling any powder.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    I’ve bought Blue Dot, Herco, and steel online in the last couple of months. Blue Dot is great for buckshot and heavy lead loads.

I want to know where all the Green Dot is?
    700X?
    Hodgdon Universal? Clays? International?

Blue Dot is made from unobtainium up here where I am
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaverhunter2 View Post
    Not sure if this is the right place but wondering if anyone has seen any of these in just about forever? I haven't seen Winchester 209s or Alliant Blue Dot since before the craziness started. And it looks like IMR Blue came out and was gone. (Potentially never to be seen again.)

I've been seeing a lot of other powders and primers (except very few LRs and all very expensive) but not these. There's so much data for W209s and Blue Dot has been THE powder for magnum 12 Gauge loads for the 50 years I'm aware of.

Seen any?

John
    Too bad we are over 200 miles apart. I have W209’s and one pound of Blue Dot I bought for a project that died. I am going to burn up the BD in pistol loads to get rid of it.

I stop at Jay’s every once in awhile, and have not seen either since before the bug hit us.

Good luck!
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    I agree, Barry. BD is excellent for buckshot and I use it in 3" and 3 1/2" lead loads.

Where are you, Don? I have a place in Glennie I visit regularly. (205 miles north of my house downstate ��)

Boolit Buddy
    When I was young and poorer bought my first 44 mag, I was a duck hunting fool reloaded 12 mags by the cases.
    I was elated when I discovered I could use blue dot for my 44 mags, burnt numerous 8 lb canisters of it.
    Good old days
    Dan

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    No one wants Blue dot. I have excess Blue dot. I've had Blue dot on my gunshow table for the last few years, no buyers. At one point, I even tried selling it here through S&S for local pickup and/or meetup at gunshow.

NOTE: this is not a sales ad, I am not currently selling any powder.
    If we lived closer I'd take your Blue Dot. I use it in 357, 41 and 44 Magnum loads. Lately I've been developing some loads for it under cast in my 30/31 cal rilfes.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

I've been burning Blue Dot since forever, one of my favorite powders for heavy shotgun and magnum pistol loads! In the mag pistols, BD will do anything that 2400 will do and will save you about 10% on each charge, think about that for a minute. Load ten, get one free for the same cost. I've made it a point to keep a new, unopened 5 lb. jug in stock while working off another one. In my .357 mag carbine I'm using the Lee 158-RNFP over 9 gr. of BD for about 1400 fps, great all-around load. Some guys feel that 2400 or Unique are indispensable powders for them, that's how I feel abut Blue Dot. Once the weather breaks, like Larry, I'm going to start working up 30 caliber rifle loads with Blue Dot in place of 2400, can't wait! I haven't seen it for sale locally for a while, I'll probably have to start cruising Powder Valley and other sites to find it, bummer!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

I once had a one pound can of Blue Dot that I experimented with but ended up using most of it in 357 mag pistol loads. Since I acquired a 20 ga SxS shotgun last summer, I have been busy working up loads for it. Like everyone else, Cheddite 209 primers are all I can find, and Blue Dot, which I can't find, is like other slow powders highly recommended for heavy loads. I have had to turn to three different manuals to get load data for 20 ga with components that I actually have. Fortunately, the LGS seems to stock Herco, and there are lots of recipes for 20 ga with that. I also use the Herco in my 7.62 Tok, and 7.62X38 Nagant pistol.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Back when I first discovered I couldn’t get blue dot, I found out 800X would work for my 2 1/4 oz. 10 gauge loads using less powder. I’m good for awhile and it appears I can get 1 lb of 800X now and then. Alliants powders are now showing up at my local trap range but it appears only in 1 lb. at $40.

Boolit Master
    An shotgunner acquaintance was at some big shoot a couple of years ago and there was a rep from Winchester there... He said that ALL their 209 primers were going into loaded ammo and not to expect see any for several YEARS...and so it seems to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry54 View Post
    I’ve bought Blue Dot, Herco, and steel online in the last couple of months. Blue Dot is great for buckshot and heavy lead loads.

I want to know where all the Green Dot is?
    700X?
    Hodgdon Universal? Clays? International?
    I bought some Green Dot and Herco here last month. Looks like Herco is still available.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/smokeless-...ders&cid=17586

The other ones have been discontinued for some time but may come back one day.

Boolit Master
    I've always used whatever brand shotshell primer is cheapest and considered them as equal. But I've never tried to push the limit on pressures either. My loads have always been either 16 or 18 grains Red Dot with 1oz or 1.125oz shot respectively. The only other load I've used is 24 grains Unique with 1.25 oz shot. For those I've loaded well over 25,000 and swapped primers without any bad results at all.