Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: best way to make a slug to slug a barrel

Banned

best way to make a slug to slug a barrel

tried drilling a hole in wood and pouring fishing weight lead PIA to get it consistent. Poured into a fired case and had a nice taper and mic'd fine but maybe too much of a taper to suit the need to check throats consistently. I read that carbide dies size straight verses older dies with carbide rings.

Took the advice of DougGuy inserting the slug once barrel was slugged in the cylinder throat end first to see how off they were. Some slightly snug some not, can see some oblong throats.

Just wondering if I can make a more consistent slug.

Boolit Master
    I have used pure lead balls I had for cap and ball revolvers to slug cylinders.

Banned
    None of my fishing weight fit right... either too big or too small. Can't measure nothing at the store, they all packed up. Can you give me an idea what ones to get for 44 ?
    Last edited by castmiester; 01-30-2024 at 12:57 AM.

Boolit Master

I recently used a .457 round ball that I had on hand to do a .44 - worked fine, as should any in the .45 family. had a nice ring of lead peel off at the muzzle, just as you'd expect seating into a C&B revolver.

I've historically cast an assortment of pure lead bullets to use as slugs in various molds for the next caliber up from what was needed, but the round ball worked so well that I may just invest in a box of each of the different potentially useful sizes.

But I think pouring a .45ACP or .45 Colt case full of pure lead and extracting with a kinetic bullet puller would serve your need as well.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    I recently used a .457 round ball that I had on hand to do a .44 - worked fine, as should any in the .45 family. had a nice ring of lead peel off at the muzzle, just as you'd expect seating into a C&B revolver.

I've historically cast an assortment of pure lead bullets to use as slugs in various molds for the next caliber up from what was needed, but the round ball worked so well that I may just invest in a box of each of the different potentially useful sizes.

But I think pouring a .45ACP or .45 Colt case full of pure lead and extracting with a kinetic bullet puller would serve your need as well.
    Thanks for that. Wondering if I should preheat the case before I pour it like the mold, maybe it will fill in better. The was a few inconsistencies on the slug.

Always used lead round balls. Just put one on the muzzle and whack itwith a brass hammer the drive it through with a rod. Lightly oil the bore first. There will be a ring of lead that will peel off.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by castmiester View Post
    Thanks for that. Wondering if I should preheat the case before I pour it like the mold, maybe it will fill in better. The was a few inconsistencies on the slug.
    If all you're trying to do is get a good diameter read, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Small wrinkles will largely get compressed or skidded out. If you're trying to ferret out an oval throat, however, cleaner is probably better
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master

Take a bullet and press it nose to base in a vise work in 1/4 turn increments. This will expand the body up in dia. After a few times you will see how much 1/4 turn expands the bullet. This works better with smooth jaws in the vise. A 7/8 14 bolt and flat plate with your reloading press will do the same. Set the plate on the shell holder bullet on the plate then turn the bolt in to touch solid lower ram turn bolt in 1/8-1/4 turn and raise the ram measure body repeat until your where you want to be.

Banner Sponsor

Take a lead bullet appropriate for your caliber, set it on an anvil and gently tap it's nose with a hammer to make it larger all around.
    Then use a wooden dowl to drive through your barrel or cylinder...