Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bullet Feed Dies

Boolit Master

Bullet Feed Dies

I am thinking of adding a bullet feed die to my Dillon 550 press for loading 9mm ammo

I was looking at Mid South , as I got a email that reloading dies were on sale
    But would buy where ever I could find what works
    I saw LEE has 2 styles and RCBS also has one also
    I know Dillon and Hornady each have a feeder set up
    But I was hoping to go with more of a simple die

Anyone use one of the LEE 9mm bullet feeder dies or the RCBS bullet feeder die ?
    Or is there another bullet feeder die to look at ?

BUT if one works and is more $$
    I don't care , I want to buy 1 time and want it to work
    So if there is a better choice that costs a bit more
    Tell me

Good , Bad or Ugly ?
    Your thoughts ?

Thanks
    John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Using a non-Dillon die on a 550? Oh no, that just won't do.

I'd worry about the other members of the Dillon cult coming after you with torches and pitchforks
    like the villagers the Frankenstein monster after he escaped and got into mischief.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I used to use the Hornady bullet feeder die. It now sits in a drawer since I made this bullet collator.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ullet-Collator

The bullet feeder dies found in the downloads work flawlessly. TylerR & GWS are the best tech support anywhere.

Boolit Master
    Are you looking for a full collator setup, or just a die?

I’ve got a couple of the Mr. bullet feeder setups, they work well. I got rid of my Hornady bullet feeder, the noise from the collator was intolerable, the die itself worked fine.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Using a non-Dillon die on a 550? Oh no, that just won't do.

I'd worry about the other members of the Dillon cult coming after you with torches and pitchforks
    like the villagers the Frankenstein monster after he escaped and got into mischief.
    We would never do that as long as 1: permission was asked and granted, 2: there are no comparable Dillon dies, and 3: you never do it again. Have fun and good luck.
    Ron

So I was going to do the same thing except I have a Lee Six Pack Pro. I bought one of these but have not tried it yet. It's the most expensive one on the market so I have high hopes.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2670347586?pid=476187

Boolit Master

I have bought several different calibers off of ebay that the fellow has 3D printed and they work great, and the price is right for trying out to see if it's something you want.

Boolit Buddy
    lee inline feeder is what I use. Works great.
    https://leeprecision.com/inline-bullet-feed-kit-35cal

Boolit Master
    I also use the Lee inline die with the 4 tube feeder and it works great , mine is for .45

Just a quick word about bullet feeders. They tend to work best with "J" words or PC'ed boolits. At least that's been my experience.

Boolit Buddy
    just as Sig mention the lubed bullets tend to stick in the die . I use Mr Bullet Feeder works great with j words and pc coating , you can check them out at Double Alpha web site , they also have a tube setup if you dont want a collator set up . To use in a 550 you will need a single bullet seat crimp die as the bullet feeder needs its own station
    also Dillon dont have there own die , they sell MR Bullet Feeder
    Last edited by oldsman; 01-30-2024 at 10:16 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    Just a quick word about bullet feeders. They tend to work best with "J" words or PC'ed boolits. At least that's been my experience.
    I have seen this mentioned elsewhere. Not sure if a "hard" lube on cast bullets would be less of problem. Going to buy a die only and try it out. Planning to manually feed the bullets into the die; with a short tube on top as I assume the die needs a stack of bullets to work best. If I cannot get it to work with lubed bullets, it will not meet my needs.

This will be on a Lee 6000 and a bullet collator or tube system is not needed. I have a case feeder and can keep the bullet die topped up with the left hand while running the press with the right hand. Placing the bullet on the case is the time consuming part of the process.

I am hoping that even if the bullet feed die needs some cleaning, a brush and swab with mineral spirits will be sufficient. Taking a couple of minutes after every 500 rounds (hour) would be acceptable for the volumes I load now.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    I tried hard lubed , no go with MR bullet Feeder and thats with 45 200 swc . The closes I got it work is using a long bullet feed tube and a spring on the feeder die to retract the die , just as you think its working a bullet gets hung up
    since I went to PC no more issues
    keep in mind you will need a m type powder funnel so the bullet wont fall off

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    lee inline feeder is what I use. Works great.
    https://leeprecision.com/inline-bullet-feed-kit-35cal
    Kit $20 cheaper at Titan:
    https://www.titanreloading.com/produ...ed-kit-35-cal/

Die only:
    https://www.titanreloading.com/produ...e-only-35-cal/

That said, I own several Hornady bullet feed dies, bought before those Lee dies were available.
    The fingers were full of burrs and had to be "adjusted" to work with the bullets I load, so bullet diameter sensitive. (for me).
    I use individual plastic tubes for the bullets, no multiple tube magazine.

Kind of a copy of Mr. Bullet Feeder's design, Lee's dies use ball bearings sliding along a taper to pinch the bullets.

jmo,
    Edit: if you go with Lee, DON'T buy the "pick-n-place" feeder, BUY the inline die linked above.
    Last edited by Kenstone; 01-30-2024 at 03:36 PM.
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

The Lee one with the plastic fingers allows you to feed and seat at the same station, at least for a few rounds before it starts spitting bullets everywhere and you have to boil the fingers (per instructions) nd they will load maybe a couple hundred more before you have to do it again. It winds up taking longer than putting them on the case yourself and thats with a collator.

Without a collator, you have to pick up each bullet by hand, orient them base down and drop them into a hole, even if that hole isn't a case mouth, so it doesn't save time at that point.

On the 550 "dropper" style, that just set the bullet into the mouth, force you to seat and crimp at #4.

The GSI feeder/tool head was unique in that it feeds and seats at #3, so the two steps could remain seperate.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	048.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	322867

Boolit Master

Thanks
    I plan on doing some reading before ordering

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Buddy
    Have you considered the collator and dies discussed in the 'Making That Bullet Collator' sticky in the 3D printing subforum of the Special Projects forum on this site? The .stl files needed for 3D printing are free and the project is well supported (including a written manual).

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ullet-Collator

The link to download the files is in the signature line of all of TylerR's posts.

Boolit Master
    If you are considering a 3D printed bullet feeding die, you can BUY them on ebay or Etsy.

Try searching bullet feeding die:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1392065...on0=3198042064

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1156012...search_click=1
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Master
    I fooled around with hornady bullet feed dies about a dozen years ago when midway had em all on clearance sale, never built feeder for them but they worked putting half dozen or so into the spring at a time. I may go back to using them but I really like to inspect each lube sized bullet as im loading one at a time

I like TylerR's feeders....was skeptical with the idea of a plastic feeder die at first, but I printed one to see......worked so well I've printed 6 so far. Even .223 rifle. The most recent .243 rifle. All work great.

Two more parts printed to connect them to springtubes......

Or You can just drop them in one at a time or in a clear tube, if that's your druthers.....

With a free printfiles find a library or a friend with a 3D printer and it's pretty darn cheap.....maybe 2 or 3 dollars worth of plastic, and springs from Ace Hardware.....ball bearings I got at Amazon, here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

20 for $5 enough for 10 feed dies.

TylerR asked me to print and test his newest one....243 (6mm) So I did and videoed a manual test.....below....

What you will see in the test is 4 different weights of bullets, the last one a light weight, which didn't stick as well. You see, they work best with a stack of bullets and I only stacked 4, a 107gr, a 100gr, a 85gr, and a 65g if I remember right. with no weight behind it the light one fell over......if the case had been sized with an "M" die even that one would have stuck.....so if using a stack tube, always have an extra in the tube....one at a time use an "M" die. I prefer those anyway.....just didn't do it for the test: (and fyi the die itself carried all four bullets)

BTW, I'm pretty sure Lee's inline feed dies are copies of these, only they figured out how to replace the two springs with one internal spring.....nice dies! But they are $50 a piece.....maybe I spent that much for 6......I'll have to investigate. But then Lees are steel....and I did have to reprint one when I dropped it and stepped on it. Less klutz is for sure needed.
    Last edited by GWS; 02-01-2024 at 01:15 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast