Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Magazine Extension For Colt Mustang . . .

Boolit Buddy

Magazine Extension For Colt Mustang . . .

I'm not looking for adding mag capacity, rather someplace for my pinky finger to grip. No one I have contacted makes them for the Mustang. Before scratch making a couple I figured I'd ask around. One for another application that is sized close enough to enable modification to fit is okay too.

Take a good look at the magazine for your pistol and determine does it have a replaceable end cap? If it does why don't you try getting a replacement and modifying it so that you have a pinky Shelf? Kind of like what Smith & Wesson does with The Bodyguard 380 pistol. There is the flush fit and then there is the pinky extension magazine the difference is replacing the end cap piece of plastic.

Boolit Master

Someone left a .380 mag on the range a few years ago. I couldn't ID the make. I put a notice in our news letter, but nobody claimed it. It took 9 rounds, 3 more than the mustang mag. The mag catch notch was in the wrong place for the mustang, but I decided to try modifying it to see if it would work in my Mustang. I carefully measured where the notch was on the Mustang mag and cut a new notch in the mystery mag. It worked and I now have a 9 round mag for the Mustang. It is every bit as reliable as the Colt mag. You might try this route. It worked for me. I still don't know who made that mag, but I'm glad someone lost it. I gives me three more rounds AND plenty of extra room for my pinky, and I have large hands.

Boolit Grand Master

Sig makes a mag for their little 380 I believe its the 232. Its supposedly a close copy of the pony mustang you might try one of their mags with the extension

Boolit Buddy
    country_gent, I will check out the Sig 232. I thought about a higher capacity mag but already have maybe eight standard capacity mags in two makes. Couldn't talk myself into buying more. None have a removable bottom plate. The reason for so many was back in the nineties I would shoot the occasional ccw match.

Boolit Buddy
    Follow up to country_gent: Sig 238 magazines fit and function - according to the internet. A seven rounder with a pinky shelf from Sig is $50. Of course Sig has their name is indelibly molded into it.
    Last edited by scottnc; 01-29-2024 at 01:28 PM. Reason: spelling

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by scottnc View Post
    I'm not looking for adding mag capacity, rather someplace for my pinky finger to grip. No one I have contacted makes them for the Mustang. Before scratch making a couple I figured I'd ask around. One for another application that is sized close enough to enable modification to fit is okay too.
    I have a Mustang and experienced similar too-short-for-me-mag challenge. By happenstance I had a few inches "extra" for the hard rubber strip which is for the bottom edge of a Kubota snow blade, and cut a slightly over-sized piece with idea of going on end of mag. Mine is the Colt Mustang Pocketlite Semi-Auto 2.75” barrel .380ACP s/n PL2xxxx model which was made in 1993. Anyhoos, I drilled a hole through its center, as well as a similar hole in bottom of my mag. I used 8-32. With bolt head inside of mag I passed it thru rubber with a washer/nut at end of rubber. I then sat down and sanded away using my stationary 6" x 48" belt sander, and did a pretty fair job of fabricating a not-too-shabby mag extension. I did make one screw-up as (oops!) I butchered a bit the plastic piece at end, but it no way affects function. A note here, too, is my Pocketlite came with two factory magazines, which are untouched. The one I put the screw-on-extention is an aftermarket brand which I cannot recall manufacturer off the top of my head -- BUT, this (what I did) may in fact be a doable solution, as it was for me.
    Just a thought...
    geo

Boolit Grand Master

I posted the model number from a poor memory it is the 238. I am sorry for the inaccuracy. But its an option. I believe when I bought mine it came with 2 mags one with a flat base and one with the finger rest. I believe Kmag has both versions.

Boolit Grand Master
    If the magazines for the SIG Model 238 work, the ones Kimber sells for their micro 9mm may also. They are a bit pricy at about $25
    and hold seven rounds. There are at least two versions, the cheaper one doesn't work without modifying the baseplate in my smll Kimber.

Robert

Boolit Man
    https://gregcotellc.com/cart/colt-mk...3e-p-1756.html

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G using Tapatalk