WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: 44 Magnum Nickel Brass

Boolit Master

44 Magnum Nickel Brass

Where would the I find some nickel plated 44 Magnum brass?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    When you find it, it can scratch your loading dies.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

A friend is looking for some. The last time I saw it was on Midway’s website in the 80s when they were doing a bunch of different headstamps.

Got lucky with a google search and found some at Grafs!
    Nothing came up last time I tried!

Moderator Emeritus

Graf's has Starline in stock.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    When you find it, it can scratch your loading dies.
    I have done plenty of 38, 357 and 45 nickel with no problems for the last 40 years!

It won't scratch TC dies, but I don't like it because of cracks and flaking of the plating at the mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    I have a bunch. I don't know why anyone would like them. but different strokes for different folks.
    Most are once fired as far as I can tell.
    PM me if you are still looking.
    fish4bugs
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    According to my "computer inventory" I have 112 nickel .44 Magnum cases. I suggest you place a Want To Buy (WTB) listing in the S&S section of this forum, and I (as well as perhaps others) may very well reply!
    geo

Boolit Buddy
    The plated cases are nice to have if they are going in leather , I've ran a lot of plated .357 threw carbide dies with nary a problem .

Boolit Master
    I’ve got nickel brass that’s worn through over the years. Have split a bunch, but don’t recall flaking on a straight-wall case. Would love some in 45-70.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    According to my "computer inventory" I have 112 nickel .44 Magnum cases. I suggest you place a Want To Buy (WTB) listing in the S&S section of this forum, and I (as well as perhaps others) may very well reply!
    geo
    "computer inventory" I have enough problem sorting through plastic bags of brass and ammo kept in big plastic totes

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    "computer inventory" I have enough problem sorting through plastic bags of brass and ammo kept in big plastic totes
    I've been threatening to do a spreadsheet inventory of all my reloading components for decades. I may even get around to it some day.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

I have a very limited supply of 44 Special brass that I use for carry in my belt pouch. Everything else is plain brass. I'd love to have 500 pieces of both special and magnum nickel brass.

I have 20 30-30 cases from a box a friend bought. If I ever do an extended hunt with the 30-30 somewhere, I'll put those into use in my cartridge slide.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    It looks cool until it cracks and flakes off. I’ve had some that have been around my stable since the 90s and still in action. I have tumbled it so much and cleaned it that the silver has worn off in a lot of spots and brass is showing through. lol. It’s still going.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    Well, I had plastic bags of "this" and coffee cans of "that" as well as plastic boxes of "more", which was cool. EXCEPT when I went to load some .30-30 Remington, I KNEW I had just spent a small fortune on new brass -- and could not find any of it! Coging on this for a bit, I came across relatively inexpensive cardboard boxes from U-Line or Amazon (I don't recall which), printed a label for each box end with my Brother QL500 printer, and put most all my brass into them. Within the boxes are individual bags labeled with number of firings; if trimmed; if annealed; etc., etc., etc. It is now an extreme pleasure for me to simply go out to garage, open a box, and bring in whatever calibre I wish to load. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brass in Garage.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	322890 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Br5ass cropped inv.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	322891
    Here's where the "computer inventory" comes in, as I can simply check the SmartDraw sheet to ascertain I do in fact have brass for the calibre I plan to load. *BUT* here's where I cover myself with the "according" as I've been known to both add and take out brass without updating oops! I cropped my inventory sheet so you may see "what I do" -- without my sharing my brass holdings in total with the world .
    It works quite nicely for me!
    geo

Boolit Master
    I like those boxes.
    I’ve done about the same thing but with ammo cans which are relatively expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    Well, I had plastic bags of "this" and coffee cans of "that" as well as plastic boxes of "more", which was cool. EXCEPT when I went to load some .30-30 Remington, I KNEW I had just spent a small fortune on new brass -- and could not find any of it! Coging on this for a bit, I came across relatively inexpensive cardboard boxes from U-Line or Amazon (I don't recall which), printed a label for each box end with my Brother QL500 printer, and put most all my brass into them. Within the boxes are individual bags labeled with number of firings; if trimmed; if annealed; etc., etc., etc. It is now an extreme pleasure for me to simply go out to garage, open a box, and bring in whatever calibre I wish to load. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brass in Garage.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	322890 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Br5ass cropped inv.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	322891
    Here's where the "computer inventory" comes in, as I can simply check the SmartDraw sheet to ascertain I do in fact have brass for the calibre I plan to load. *BUT* here's where I cover myself with the "according" as I've been known to both add and take out brass without updating oops! I cropped my inventory sheet so you may see "what I do" -- without my sharing my brass holdings in total with the world .
    It works quite nicely for me!
    geo
    Nice! Thanks for sharing. I might just do the same. So far, I'm doing the ziplocs in and around a 5 gallon bucket thing.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Nice! Thanks for sharing. I might just do the same. So far, I'm doing the ziplocs in and around a 5 gallon bucket thing.
    Trust me, Bazoo -- if you go this, or similar route, I can almost guarantee you shan't regret it! In my 50+ years of reloading, imho this is one of the "bestest" mods I've done. Just not having zip-lok, bread, and other plastic bags all over the place with "?????" in each has almost been a God-send! And, again, just the time-savings alone made it more than worth the very few dollars spent!
    One "mod" I'm adding is a clip-board hanging in front of sixty boxes, with the hopes I can and will -- at the TIME of brass removal/insertion -- jot down changes. E.g, at fall's (almost) end I wanted to load some .32 Winchester Special, so I took a bag of 100 from its box and brought it into house. I loaded 40 rounds, and -- snowing and cold when I took now-less bag out -- I put (tossed ) bag on my casting bench. Later, I went out for another calibre, and have no idea where the bag of .32 Win Sp went; did I return it to box.. did it fall on cement floor behind it.. ????
    So -- a friendly suggestion -- if you go this route, get a clip-board and hopes (maybe you already have it) for the discipline to keep it up to date!
    geo

I use 5 gallon buckets and smaller cat litter boxes for my brass storage.
    What I make sure of is that EVERY zip loc bag is labeled with a note inside as the status of the brass.
    Nothing worse than getting ready to load 1000 223 and not know the status of the brass - how many times fired? trimmed? Swaged? Chamfered/deburred? Sized?
    A note makes life easier.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.