WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Electric razor

Electrics never cut it for me(pardon the pun). 50 years this July since the last full shave. I use Peacock brand double edge blades, not easy to find. I'm another checkbone and neck shaver. I get mine from Maggard's Razors in Adrian Michigan. They have an incredible selection of razor blades. I had no idea there were that many different kinds of razor blades until I stumbled on to Maggard's.

You couldn't give me an electric razor.

Boolit Master
    Completely agree it depends on the beard. Electric’s don’t do it for me. Played with top dollar disposable blades for a while. Have fallen back to a double edged safety. Not quite as good as the disposable but if you search out good stuff, it is pretty cheap.

Moderator Emeritus

I played with electrics for ten years or so and went back to wet shaving with a brush and double bladed razor. The comfort is worth it.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I just burn'em off with a torch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
    Completely agree it depends on the beard. Electric’s don’t do it for me. Played with top dollar disposable blades for a while. Have fallen back to a double edged safety. Not quite as good as the disposable but if you search out good stuff, it is pretty cheap.
    Maggard's have a large web presence, order up and try a selection of different blades, you'll find stunning differences in how the blades cut. Also try different razor handles. I have two different ones, the difference between the two is like night and day. One I can get easily two weeks out of a fresh blade. The second one more like two shaves and it is time to change blades to get a mediocre shave.

Boolit Grand Master
    A long, long, time ago, I got a Norelco for Christmas.
    Don't have much face hair, so it's worked well.
    Shave maybe once a week.
    Until I dropped it.
    Then it didn't do anything.
    Used a razor since.
    But I got one of those foil one last year.
    It just doesn't cut clean.
    Probably let the hair get to long.
    Does the round head clean better???
    Hair got a bunch stronger since I was young.

Boolit Buddy

I second the Skull Shaver series of "Pitbulls". I use it to shave my head and face all at once. It works wet or dry and has deployed to several disaster zones with me. A single charge will last up to 2 weeks.

Boolit Buddy
    Though I prefer to use a blade, work made it necessary to shave very quickly for a number of years. I have a Braun Series 7 that has been going strong for over a decade. I've only replaced the blade cassette once. This shaver uses a cleaning station that runs alcohol through the shaving cassette while it charges the unit. Note that you do have to replace the alcohol packs. They are expensive if you buy them in 1's or 2's at the drug store, but you can buy 6-packs for much less online.

I've experimented over the years with extending the life of the alcohol packs. They last for 1-2 months if you use them daily and just let them sit. Best tips if you go this route are: 1) If not using the shaver for a while, take the "cap" that comes on the alcohol pack and seal it up so the cleaning solution doesn't evaporate; 2) If you want, you can rinse out the old solution and replace it with isopropyl alcohol.

The shaver can also be charged using just the cord if you travel (you don't have to take the cleaning unit with you).

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Something to add about electric razors, those pop up trimmers never worked for me.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    Maggard's have a large web presence, order up and try a selection of different blades, you'll find stunning differences in how the blades cut. Also try different razor handles. I have two different ones, the difference between the two is like night and day. One I can get easily two weeks out of a fresh blade. The second one more like two shaves and it is time to change blades to get a mediocre shave.
    Thanks for the tip on Maggard's. Actually I do use "better" grade blades but always in search of betterer! My comment was to the effect of I haven't quite managed to match disposables from the very top manufacturers' but we're talking $2/blade for those. I'm frugal and quite happy with my double edged safety razor as is. Better for cheap would be welcomed.

Boolit Master

Been shaving with electrics for 60 years. Started with the Remington foil shavers then went to the Norelco style shavers for a while. Just bought a Braun Series 7 and am very happy with it, shaves fast and close.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    Long ago, I made do with with a Remington foil-type electric shaver; I thought the mediocre performance was the price I had to pay for the convenience.

But once I tried a Norelco, you couldn't pay me to go back to the other methods. I am on my third after ~30 years of them; the rotary blades don't seem to get dull in the same way that the foil-types do.

I tried electrics back in the day and never could find one that worked for me so I used disposables. When my mom died and we were cleaning out her stuff I found my dads 1959 Gillette Red Tip. As soon as I could get some decent blades I started using the Gillette and never regretted it. Soon after going back to wet shaving I found a pristine 1958 Gillette Tech and it's a fantastic razor.

Boolit Master
    Thank you to all who have replied. You have given me a lot of things to think about. I may try to fond a Norelco as it seems to have gotten the most "likes".
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Another happy Maggard’s customer. They were where I finally found single edge razor blades for my 1912 EverReady razor. I tried a ton of electric razors, both foil and rotary. I found te Norelco rotary best and longest lasting, though I was pretty partial to Brauns. In my 50’s I found safely razors and slant edges worked best for me. Wizamet Super Iridium and Personna Stainless Steel (Red box) Double Edge Gillette Razor Blades both give me two weeks or more per blade. Dollar store 5 for a buck no name blades a week. Can’t get much cheaper. Once bought some Gillete blades in a Guatemalan store. Tried them out and they didn’t cut at all! Guess they have soft beards. I use homemade shaving oil (massage) or hair conditioner for lubricant. Bar soap and brush. When the Gillete Sensor twin blades didn’t cut it I went old school. 7 blades, electric do-dads and funky strips don’t make up for recycled aluminum foil and bubble gum wrapper blades. Just 1 GOOD one!

Boolit Master

Still using blades but curious enough to ask some friends - preference ran into the Braun brand.

Boolit Master
    I have only tried two, A Remington and a Norelco. Both pulled some of the hairs out instead of cutting them. I have been using Bic or Gillette disposable since and much prefer the Gillette.

Boolit Master

Used a Bic once, nearly bled to death.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Quote Originally Posted by shooterg View Post
    Still using blades but curious enough to ask some friends - preference ran into the Braun brand.
    No better than any other brand. Just ok. I use one now, quicker than a blade, but only half as smooth. I can shave with a blade razor and go 2 days and not have bad stubble the 2nd day that is worse than the evening of an electric shave. And I use a blade about one every 2 weeks to get what the electric missed

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

No matter what I use, my face comes out raw and frequently bleeding. Electrics are the worst of them all. I only need a clean shave, not a self-sacrifice!

The Bic shavers, just about as bad. The triple blade Mach-3's do okay but they leave quite the stubble.

Safety razors like granddaddy used to use are very good but it took a while to learn to use them.

Now, the best thing is straight razors. Took a while to learn to use those, too but they give me the best shave of all and the least amount of abrasion.

I'm fortunate that I really only have to shave once a week at the most. If I had to shave every day, I would never be able to do it. Especially in the summer. I've got a very light colored beard and you can only just tell I need to shave after about a week. Occasionally, I can get away with two weeks between shaves.

I don't envy all y'all who have to shave every day.

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    I just burn'em off with a torch.
    May have to try that!

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast