Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Electric razor

Boolit Master

Electric razor

I am considering buying an electric razor. I am tired of fooling around with shaving cream and safety razors. I would welcome suggestions for a reasonably priced good functioning unit. Thanks.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Buddy

blackthorn,
    I'm on my 3rd Norelco. I have had this particular one since about 2019-2020.
    It's a 3000 series.
    Just stay away from the S3650/88. It is a piece of crap.
    I bought a 9 pack of blades from Amazon and still have one set of 3 left.
    I also use preshave which helps. Mine can also be used in the shower but I don't.
    I occasionally pull the blades out and give them a good scrub with an old toothbrush.
    Back together and works great.
    If I skip more than one day I just go a but slower and get a good close shave.
    Don't ask me which particular model I have, I've worn the model number completely off.
    I bought my son one of those S3650/88.
    I bought one for my son and it only lasted a year.
    I shave my head and face nearly every day.
    I buy a set of blades about once per year.
    Blkpwdrbuff
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty or Safety. "
    Benjamin Franklin
    "Time to take Brandon to the train station"
    "The right of citizens to bear arms is just one guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." ~ Hubert H. Humphrey

I've got a 'Pit Bull' Gold and like it.
    They are marketed to us bald guys that have realized hair is over rated anyway.

It is cord less, and has 4 rotary heads like a Norelco. The blades last about a year.
    Replacement blade heads are pretty cheap,
    and I saw a video presented by Professor youtube on how to re-sharpen your old ones.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

One thing to consider. If your beard hairs are quite thick in diameter (read older guys), some of those rectangular head foil shavers will not cut those hairs. The little holes in the foil just do not let the hairs pass through. On myself, that is the case on a couple of those type of electrics. The triple rotary heads with slots work far better for me, as those let the thicker beard hairs come through.
    100,000 BC: stone tools. 4,000 BC: the wheel. 900 AD: gunpowder — bit of a game changer, that one

Peter Weyland, 2023

Nothing to worry about, because for once, I have the proper tool at hand. Looking for a little heat?.......Any questions?

Burt Gummer, Tremors 3

Boolit Master

You'll find that an electric razor won't give you as close a shave as a blade and cream. That works for me because when I have to use a disposable razor, my neck has areas that bleed without being nicked. My electric razor is pretty close and is good enough for me.

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Master
    No electric razor for me. I use soap and a k-bar, on my bald head.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

I use an electric, mainly as I'm lazy. But I still find I need to shave once a week or so. The blade gets way closer than the electric. Just sayin.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Used norelco's for 55 years. I get ingrown hairs if I don't shave every day or use a blade. Even in elk camp. The foil shavers never worked for me.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    I've owned several electric razors. Different brands. NONE of them gave me the close shave that I get from a razor. Not even close. I now use, and am happy with, the BIC disposable razors. I shave in the shower. Just lather up with common bar soap and have at it. I have one can of shaving cream that has been setting on the shelf for 25 years or more. I probably should dispose of it before it rusts through and makes a mess.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I had two electric razors. The ones with the three rotating heads. They do get dull after a while. The replacement blades I bought didn’t seem to be as good as the originals. Maybe they were knock offs. I often grow a beard and could never find the charging cord and had to by another razor.

I now have a Phillips One blade. It doesn’t shave as close as my other electric razors did. And the replacement blades aren’t that cheap. Now that I don’t go out in public that much and the unshaven look has become acceptable, it works great every week or to to remove the stubble before a straight razor.

I haven’t used shaving cream for years, only shampoo. The new razors today with the special strip are a great improvement over what came before. Still the best shave is with hot towels done by a real barber with a straight razor. Difficult to find these days.

Boolit Grand Master
    I had the same experience as Greg...

I bought a set of "no name" replacement blades for my Norelco from Amazon or eBay and they are not as good as the OEM blades. I get a year out of a set of blades.

I am not anal about getting a close shave. Good enough is good enough.
    Don Verna

I have two, a Phillips 5000 series, and a brown series 3
    Both require more time standing in front of the mirror, and there are some hairs that need to be touched up with the regular shaver.
    but I take advantage of the fact that the phillips can get wet and I shave while I shower, and then touch up when I go out
    It is more complicated than the regular shaver, but it does not hurt the skin as much

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    When switching to an electric razor, your whiskers really need time to get used to it after being cut with a blade.

Boolit Grand Master
    Been using an electric for about 55 years. First Norelco lasted about 10 years, second about 20. Nowadays, I use one of the mid-priced ones at the house and if I am off on a trip, I carry one of the cheaper ones.
    Blade does give me a closer shave, but like SciFiJim, if I am not really careful, neck will bleed a bit, so I seldom use a blade. Tender skin and hog bristle whiskers are a bad combination.

Boolit Master
    I usually shave with a blade but I do use an electric on occasion. I have a very old Remington 100, a foil shaver. I have replaced the foil and blades several times, the foil wears though, still works fine. I did have a Norelco Triple Head rotary, found that the Norelco gave me more ingrown hairs. A blade does get closer, but scrubbing with the foil shaver does pretty good, a hot wet cloth over your beard helps no matter what you use to shave. I find weather also makes a difference, dry and windy really hardens the hair. I usually shave at night when I shower.

Moderator Emeritus

In 1985 my Dad bought a new razor, he gave me his old Remington. I cleaned it and swaped out the blades and ran it many years. I've replaced the blades 3 or 4 more times. I can no longer find blades for it. About 5 years ago, I picked up a used Norelco two head razor from a "free box" at a garage sale. I brought it home and cleaned it. It's been working well ever since, just used it this morning.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I got tired of shaving so let it grow. Now I just trim it on occasion. Used a razor for years, sometimes my norelco, the razor wins hands down for a smooth shave. Electric razors always left my neck burning and never did work well there..

Boolit Master

Got sick of shaving in my late 60's. Thin skinned, knicking moles, and just let it grow out. Never could trim it right though til I broke down and bought professional barbers clippers, now I'm "dapper"...........enough
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Bub

I just shave my neck and upper cheeks and have a beard. I use a Henson DE. Best shave of my life. I wish I would have found it sooner.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Disabled Army veteran

Boolit Master
    Customer service school taught me to carry a battery electric in the service truck
    so I would have no 5 o'clock shadow working past dinnertime.
    So for years I shaved on my way to work.
    Depends on the beard, YMMV, worked for me.
    A razor shaves, an electric beats hair to death.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast