Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H&k p7

Boolit Master

H&k p7

I'm trying to price an H&K P7 that a friend inherited. I am not trying to sell this gun, or buy it - just price it out.
    He brought it to three gun stores and that all said it was so rare that they wouldn't be able to sell it to their customers.
    Apparently it's the stainless version, unfired.
    He's seen prices from $5000 to $10,000.
    I might send photos to Poulins auctions in Maine.
    Any ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HK-P7.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Call Antique and Modern Firearms in Lexington, KY. They specialize in this sort of gun. 859-276-1419
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Boy, I see prices for what you are thinking for far less pristine examples. I would be looking for professional appraisal. (Unless you're interested in taking a few C notes!)

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

If he is thinking of selling it he might call Morphys??? Used to be rock island auction that host a bunch of old high end stuff. They would have access to the high end collectors.
    There are other similar outfits , which I am sure others could name.
    Good luck.

Boolit Master
    I'm going to ask him exactly what the three shops said was so rare about this gun. It's definitely unfired.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails H&K P7-2.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    I'm going to ask him exactly what the three shops said was so rare about this gun. It's definitely unfired.
    The "squeeze cock" is enough to intrigue most. I believe it has been expressed that it is perhaps the finest pistol H&K ever produced.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Here's a pretty good (long) review of the P7.
    If I had some extra moola to spend...
    https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/he...t-pistol-ever/

Boolit Master

Not stainless, but nickel. That gets it extra props by being Alan Rickman / Hans Gruber's gun from the original Die Hard.

Unique in being a single action that isn't cocked until you squeeze it, which has the added benefit of helping lock you out into a proper firing grip. Also unique in using cartridge gas as a delay to keep what would otherwise be an unlocked blowback action slide-forward long enough for the bullet to exit. Unique further still in being a serious combat offering that's NOT descended from the 1911 or P-38. Crazy low bore axis on them, making them very flat shooting and controllable. The biggest negative is that the gas system puts a lot of heat into the frame, so they can get a little toasty if you run a lot of rounds. A few U.S. agencies gave them a whirl, but it only lasted a decade or so.

They're a tight tolerance gun that was never cheap at any time, and every armorer I've spoken to who took the class on them said they're a nightmare to get into. Both probably contributing factors to why they went away.

Last time I looked a couple years ago, the black "common variants" were bringing $3000+. Especially with the Die Hard connection and its greater rarity, $5,000-$10,000 for an unfired nickel one doesn't surprise me at all.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Nickel - good to know. I handled the gun at the owner's house but at the time I had no idea of its functions. The current owner is not a "gun guy" - his father left it to him with no info - but he knows it's worth quite a bit. I'll check out the Die Hard connection.

Boolit Buddy

The guys on the Hkpro.com website will help you.

Boolit Master
    Had one as my first semi-auto pistol. Everything about the pistol itself was great including that as a lefty it is 100% ambidextrous in operation. One downside was that HK USA customer service was not helpful to civilians. I understand that may have changed.

Boolit Master
    I tried the HKpro site, but I was told to check Gunbroker for prices, or join the paid version of the site to gain access to price checks. That's cool, I get it, but, it's not my gun. I'll suggest it to the owner - it might be worth it to him.

Boolit Master

There's a NIB black one listing on GB for above $2500 with 16 bids and 8 days left to go.

A double stack black M13 version creeping up on $4,000 with 23 bids and 11 hours to go.

There are several nickel/hard chrome listing between $4,000 and $9,000, but with no activity on them, which is how I usually figure current market value.

FWIW.
    WWJMBD?

Boolit Master
    I got a few replies on the HKPro site. The consensus is that the gun has been refinished. Apparently there were no factory nickel guns in that model. One poster said that it's probably a refinished German Police trade-in. That really cuts into its value. Still, a nice gun.

Boolit Master
    I'd still look for a reputable person to assess the value. I've had to go through that once and the answers you get from 'armchair' folks or run-of-the-mill gun dealers are not very reliable.

If it is rare then they'd need to contact an auction house that specializes in such items. Of course, they take a 25% cut (or more).

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    I got a few replies on the HKPro site. The consensus is that the gun has been refinished. Apparently there were no factory nickel guns in that model. One poster said that it's probably a refinished German Police trade-in. That really cuts into its value. Still, a nice gun.
    I may have misspoke on the nickel. Offerings on BG are being plugged as nickel or hard chrome, with one listed as Robar NP3. The factory DID make silver P7's, we just have to sort out what the actual pixie dust was.
    WWJMBD?

Boolit Master
    Apparently that gun was previously owned by the Lower Saxony Police, then traded back to HK. Traded in guns were given condition grades, then shipped to the US. Some of the C grades were refinished in hard chrome or nickel before being shipped.
    So, it's a nice gun, a shooter as opposed to a collectible.

Boolit Bub
    A Really Neat piece, I'd Get Ahold of the bigger auction houses and see what they say. Usually Bigger Fees for selling, but a better exposure for selling something ( if they plan to sell).

Boolit Master
    Factory P7s were plated - never Stainless

Boolit Master
    I actually called H&K and they ran the serial number for me. Good people. They confirmed that the P7 was a police gun that was bought back by HK, refinished, refurbished and sold in the US. Definitely not a factory nickel gun but still a great gun. I'm helping the owner figure out what it's worth (I sent pics and info to an auction house in Maine). Prices on GB are all over the place. It's definitely out of my price range.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast