RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: Shooting Bench Cover Issues

Boolit Buddy

Shooting Bench Cover Issues

Howdy! Put up a 15x30 tin covered canopy over my shooting bench. It 9' high on one end and 11' on the other. The canopy is to keep the sun off but shooting is now louder with a lot more felt concussion. Any thoughts on how to deaden the sound?

There are sound deadening or absorbing material that you could line the roof with.

https://www.secondskinaudio.com/soun...oof-gun-range/

Boolit Master
    I use a tire baffle to shoot through. Mine is 12' long. It doesn't remove all the sound but takes the edge off and directs the sound toward your target. Burlap is used to reduce noise and does an OK job. I can get tobacco sheets from the local ag supply for $17/8'x8' sheet.

Boolit Master

When I built mine (north facing firing line) I set the bench so it's end is just behind the roof edge. That way the rifle muzzles are just past the roof line when firing. My suggestion is move the bench.

Boolit Master
    The trick is to extend the end of your muzzle beyond the shelter. It's amazing what 6" will do for repercussion. A 300 WSM with a muzzle brake will shake your fillings out! Same rifle set 10" ahead is a puppy.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

You need something to break up the sound waves Styrofoam insulation sheets hung vertically every 18-20 inches will deaden a lot. Lineing the roof will add more and may help with heat build up under a hot sun. You want to use something that wont attrach critters and or insects. battings, cloth will make a big nesting area for them. Some of the spray in foams way work also.

As was stated above getting the muzzle out from under the roof helps a lot. A enclosed front with shooting windows will block a lot of the sound vibrations from coming back.

Boolit Master

+1 on Post #6. When I was "in the business" I built three firing line shelters for private ranges and found that triangular styrofoam baffles worked pretty good to absorb/deflect muzzle blast. On the other hand, if you're shooting under a roof with a muzzle brake, ain't nothin' gonna help too much.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Buddy
    We shoot a lot of pistol and no rifles with muzzle brakes. Had someone out shooting a 223 ar and each shot was like someone dropping a decently sized phone book on you.

Will try moving the bench from underneath. Also will look into styrofoam baffles

Boolit Master

Gluing any carpet to the underside of the roof will a) damp the harmonic vibration of the roof, and b) get rid of the flat reflective surface for sound to bounce off of. The old shag carpet would be ideal

I helped a number of folks build sound recording studios in the 1970's Carpet on the flat surfaces did a lot to reduce sound. Carpet companies have left over rolls that can be had for very little, colours do not have to match unless one looks up often
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Grand Master

Carpet will deaden the noise and concussion but it also holds unburnt powder becoming a fire hazard. It also attracts insects out doors.

If you really want to see the effect take a buddy with you into a corn field get 4-5 rows over from him and have him fire a few rounds.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Carpet will deaden the noise and concussion but it also holds unburnt powder becoming a fire hazard. It also attracts insects out doors.

If you really want to see the effect take a buddy with you into a corn field get 4-5 rows over from him and have him fire a few rounds.
    Annual use of a pressure washer with DawnŽ soap, no rinse, and bug spray keep dust and vermin out of carpets.
    And unburnt powder usually settles on the ground
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Grand Master

Sprayed on Foam Insulation . It will adhere to metal and wood surfaces .
    You want to cover the underside of the sheet metal completely for both sound and thermal insulation ... that tin roof gets hot in direct sunlight and its like being in a toaster oven on a hot sunny day .
    You also want coverage on all solid surfaces , metal or wood framingg
    Sound will bounce off solid surface , the Foam insulation will absorb and deaden the sound .
    Talk to a contractor about what type and how thick to apply ... make them aware the roof is exposed , and outside in the elements , with no walls .

Spray Foam will be one of the best ways to sound and thermal insulate your range .
    I would suggest looking at a Closed Cell Foam for this ... it is denser , stronger and would hold up better in the outdoors .
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 01-26-2024 at 08:47 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I have shot inside a jail a few times. Wow, that's loud.
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Wayne View Post
    If you were fishing for random comments..... you win!!!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Sprayed on Foam Insulation . It will adhere to metal and wood surfaces .
    You want to cover the underside of the sheet metal completely for both sound and thermal insulation ... that tin roof gets hot in direct sunlight and its like being in a toaster oven on a hot sunny day .
    You also want coverage on all solid surfaces , metal or wood framingg
    Sound will bounce off solid surface , the Foam insulation will absorb and deaden the sound .
    Talk to a contractor about what type and how thick to apply ... make them aware the roof is exposed , and outside in the elements , with no walls .

Spray Foam will be one of the best ways to sound and thermal insulate your range .
    I would suggest looking at a Closed Cell Foam for this ... it is denser , stronger and would hold up better in the outdoors .
    Gary
    Make sure to paint or cover any edges exposed to UV, spray foam breaks down fast when exposed to it. I use a kit like this to do my foundation every couple of years so know UV breaks it down.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/656-oz-2...2055/321211061

Make sure to pressure wash the underside of the roof with soap to remove grease or this will peel off and fall on your head wet! Spray THIN layers, let expand, come back and do another layer until it builds up 2" or so

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by John Wayne View Post
    Try my AR-15 with a muzzle break. A friend insisted he could tolerate it inside our shoot house training house... he came out dizzy... sound level is NASTY...