Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: How about a 28g in a 43 Egyptian Roller?

How about a 28g in a 43 Egyptian Roller?

So I have this E.P. Marked Egyptian action thats in OK shape. Seems the threaded receiver ring has relatively thin walls compared to the other RB's I have. So Iv been thinking about a 410 at first but would really like it in 28. I know the hammer tip will need most of its FP top edge removed from just looking at it. I think the conversion specs out with both cartridges pushing a factory 1300 fps but the 28 being a 1/4 oz lighter shot over the 400g 43 E factory loadings. I have a perfect 28 doner barrel as well as several 410's. Yay or Na on the 28?
    Right now I'm converting a bronze receivered Zulu Snider to 22LR. Should be a cool plinker.

Boolit Master

Is the breach block relieved for the larger rim size? Pressure is about 12,500 for the 28 gauge, 13,000 for the 410. I did a 20 gauge on an old black powder roller.

No, the breach block is straight across and with the 28 shell sitting on the closed breach centered by eye, it still has about an 1/8 th inch before the rim touches the round front of the breach base. I didn't know if any one has done one of these with a 28. Its the extraction over the cocked hammer tip that I'm not sure about. But I guess if you still had enough hammer face to get good purchase on the FP on a 20g, a 28 should have plenty of hammer face for that.
    Thanks for chiming in.

Boolit Mold
    You could just have the rifling bored out straight and shoot 32 ga in it...

Quote Originally Posted by b67 View Post
    You could just have the rifling bored out straight and shoot 32 ga in it...
    It didnt have a barrel on it when I got it. These days the ammo companies are pushing the 28's with $14 dollar boxes. 3" 410's have become swallowed up by the 2.5" revolver lunacy. Not to mention their ridiculous cost if you can find an old box. 32's? thats reloaders only. I'm cartridge only on a 550 and a turret.

Boolit Master

Sounds like you have everything laying there to do it, why not. The barrel could be sleeved the way deHaas showed. It works well and might make an interesting very usable field gun.
    I am thinking the extractor will work itself out as you get into it
    Facta non verba