Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Henry lever rifles

Henry lever rifles

last summer we bought our Niece's Son his first rifle, the Henry 22Lr with oct barrel, the silver reciever model. The gun shoots very accurate printing small groups, with his eyes of course! I am now wondering what others who might have one of these think of them? The gun seems well made, finish is nice all around and once getting his first brick down the tube the trigger may lighten up some but if not, I can fix that. OPINIONS PLEASE.

Awhile back I got a Henry Golden Boy .22.
    It, and CCI CB shorts are a big help with thwarting the great squirrel invasion around here.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I have had my Henry H001T for about 5 years, fires and functions flawlessly. With a Leupold 1.5-5x scope it is very accurate.
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    I have a Henry 357 Big Boy. Easiest lever to use that I have. Feeds and functions round nose and hollowpoint ammo. Haven't tried semi wad cutters.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ass Wallace View Post
    I have had my Henry H001T for about 5 years, fires and functions flawlessly. With a Leupold 1.5-5x scope it is very accurate.
    I have the same one but it wears a Williams FP receiver sight instead of a scope (one of my .30-30's wears that same excellent scope BTW). Great rifle and I love it. Trigger is really no worse than any other lever action in my arsenal and there are quite a few. My one and only gripe is an annoying air gap between the rear of the forearm and front of the receiver. I cut a piece of leather to match the shape and glued it to the back of the forearm to snug it up.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    I have four Henry's, the 'standard' lever 22, an octagon barreled 17 HMR, an octagon 24" barreled 22LR and a Long Ranger .223. All are very accurate, I have a couple Marlin 39A's and a 9422 along with a bunch of older Mossberg's but the Henry's get the most use. I have a bunch of Marlins and Savage 99's or I'd probably have more.

Moderator Emeritus

Some years back, I bought my Granddaughter a H001. It's a wonderful rifle, nice looking and accurate, but I am not a fan of the painted receiver cover...but for the price I paid, I can't complain.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master
    My Henry .22 lever is the most accurate .22 I've ever fired. Benched / braced 50 yard head shots on squirrel are doable.

Boolit Grand Master

I have to ask... for those that have experience with Winchester, Marlin and Henry lever guns, how do you rate the Henry in comparison? My interest lies in a .45-70 and possibly .44 mag.

Thanks,
    Longbow

Boolit Master
    I’ll say that the Henry Big Boy with an 18in octagonal barrel is heavier than my 94s, one with an octagonal barrel and one with a round barrel. It’s also heavier than my 336. The Henry’s action is super smooth and operates with little effort. It also has the least going on inside the action, very similar to the Marlin. The finish on the barrel and action is beautiful. The wood is nice but is somewhat soft. Stocks on all three of the other centerfire lever actions are nicer.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    I have to ask... for those that have experience with Winchester, Marlin and Henry lever guns, how do you rate the Henry in comparison? My interest lies in a .45-70 and possibly .44 mag.

Thanks,
    Longbow
    On average, every bit as good as those made in the past 50 years. Often better in fact. Remember, there is zilch warranty or factory service for New Haven Winchesters or pre-Ruger Marlins but every Henry includes their awesome warranty and customer service. Don't get me wrong, I love old lever actions but I have spent many hours fixing things on them that Henry would have taken care of for free. Late model Winchester 94's are a real slot machine. I won't buy one unless I see it in person and the price is really good. In fact, lately I've been working on both of mine for little nuisances that never should have happened in the first place.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I have three Henrys.
    The cheapest .22 model lever action.
    The Henry AR7 survival rifle.
    The H010X .45-70
    I wasn't super crazy about the plastic stock on the .45-70 although it had a lot of nice features, I took it off and made my own walnut stock.
    I also put a rail on top so I could use various scopes and sights with quick detaches.
    This rifle is a joy to shoot with a Banish 46 suppressor mounted on the threaded barrel.
    I like them and they did not break the bank to buy.

Boolit Grand Master

I have been holding out for a either an older JM Marlin 1895 or a new Ruglin when they are available here... I htink they are but move fast so most places seem out of stock.

I have for some reason avoided Henry. Not sure why. I have never handled one but will be heading to Alberta in about a month so can look in Calgary and hopefully some gunstore will have some in stock.

That's why I asked the question. I have not seen one in person.

They seem to look very similar to Marlin with a similar action and the pics look pretty good, and the price is good. If you guys say the guns are good then I should be looking at Henry too.

Longbow

I have been holding out for a either an older JM Marlin 1895 or a new Ruglin when they are available here... I htink they are but move fast so most places seem out of stock.

I have for some reason avoided Henry. Not sure why. I have never handled one but will be heading to Alberta in about a month so can look in Calgary and hopefully some gunstore will have some in stock.

That's why I asked the question. I have not seen one in person.

They seem to look very similar to Marlin with a similar action and the pics look pretty good, and the price is good. If you guys say the guns are good then I should be looking at Henry too.

Longbow
    I like the Henrys; I think they are good guns.
    When I was looking, I looked for a Marlin first, but they were not available and when they were, they were at twice the suggested retail price.
    I wanted a rifle with a threaded barrel and both Henry and Marlin had them.
    I ended up with the Henry and removed plastic and made my own walnut stock, it is now in the configuration I wanted at the price point I wanted to spend.
    I think I would have been just as happy with the Marlin; I like both guns.
    If you have your heart set on the Marlin, I would say go for it.
    Either way I don't think you can go wrong.

Thanks,
    Longbow
    Being a BIG fan of Winchester 1886's and Marlin 1895's I would surely have either one first, having collected both for a long time. The 1990's Brownings and Win are both very nice too. My Browning without the safety of course, shoots really well with my cast loads.

Have not had the Henry so comments would be speculation only..The older guns are quite exspensive so I can't blame anyone for looking at the Henry and giving one a try..

I have fixed a few old winchesters for others, mostly they were so mistreated I had to completly take them down to fix. My old levers though were aquired while in top shape still and have never given me a problem after years of shooting and hunting. most are antique with a few pre- war model 94's and 92's.

The 86 is as tough as it gets if care for, same for Marlins, newer levers not so much though as quality began dropping after 1964 in some lever models.

My neighbor, about 10ys ago, bought a Uberti lever model 1876 in 50-95 and has pounded it pretty hard without an issue. Surprising to me but maybe those levers are better than first thought.
    Last edited by gc45; 01-25-2024 at 05:53 PM.

I have three. The first was the H001 22, which has been here for nearly 20 yrs. Used it to teach to the youngest the shoot with. And she is deadly with it. It looks nothing like it did originally. I replaced the plastic barrel band and stripped it and the receiver cover and let it tarnish and then clear coated it. Gives it an antique look, then added a Winchester style saddle ring and stripped the stocks and gave them an oil finish.
    Then, about 10-12 years ago, I was thinking of adding 44 mag to the collection, and while a Henry was not my first thought , I came across this
    older "07 made bronze model 44 that already had a nice patina, I don't really like that bright finish.
    The stocks have a few bumps as most used guns do and adds to the old west look. It shoots quite nicely, and the blued barrel is beautiful.
    And I really didn't want another as my real passion is old Marlins, but I wanted a 41 mag rifle to go with my BH.
    I wasn't going to pay the insane asking prices of the Marlin 41's, even though I searched high and low for one for a couple of years, "hoping" to find one half way reasonable. Then Henry introduced one, and knowing I would be hunting with it some I picked the steel model even though I am Not crazy about that brushed finish it is durable and the rifle is very accurate and it feeds and fires all different styles of ammo.
    I have no complaints about any one of them. At this point, though, I'm not really interested in anything they make.
    If they'd get off their lazy butts and make one of their single shots in the 38-55, then I'd be inclined to plunk down some coin and try one.
    Other than that, I have no interest in anything they offer.
    I will say, that have very smooth actions and that they do stand behind their products.

RP
    Last edited by Pereira; 01-25-2024 at 06:32 PM. Reason: added pic.

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Boolit Buddy
    One of my Henrys is the H001TER. The Evil Roy with the silver receiver, barrel band and octagon barrel. It's very accurate and the action is as smooth as butter. The only change I made was putting a Skinner peep on it. A lot of fun to shoot.

Boolit Master
    I have two Big Boy Steel rifles, .357 mag and .41 mag. Absolutely love them both, excellent rifles.

I bought the first model Henry 22 rifle. Wal Mart had them back then, probably around 2010 I think the total including tax was around $160 out the door. Very happy with this rifle. Lots of squirrels have been unhappy about it.

Boolit Master
    I have the Henry brass in 357 Magnum. Excellent rifle. My only issue has been that I have gone through 2 transfer bars-- they get beat up over time and then you get weak strikes and failure to fire. In fairness, I shoot a lot, about 2-3 thousand rounds per transfer bar.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast