RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: 410 brass rifle fire in 410 bore

Boolit Mold

410 brass rifle fire in 410 bore

Was watching Iraqvetern888 video on trying to blow up an old rossi 410. All I shoot is brass I reload, 9.3x74 and 444 marlin. Watching him send downrange 45 colt, 454, 444 marlin got me to thinking. He reducing 45 down to 410 that is a no no. I'm doing it with a brass shell with bird shot. Why is it OK with bird shot and not a solid bullet?

My brain is wrestling with your question, and losing. Can you clarify it a bit? Is he shooting loaded .45 Colt, 454, 444 Marlin ammo in a .410 shotgun? The fear here would be excess pressure if a .45 cal. bullet is being swaged down to .410 size as it passes through the barrel. On the other hand shooting shot through almost any barrel is much lower pressure. Members here load birdshot in brass cartridge cases very often. Tell us more......

DG

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Years ago I blew the muzzle off an Iver Johnson .44 Garden Gun firing factory jacketed softpoint .44-40s in it.

The muzzle split behind the choke and spread open like the hood of a cobra. The gun actually recoiled forwards.

I cut the split muzzle off at 20 inches, leaving a .425" cylinder bore. I still have the gun and it shoots .425 round balls in about 6 inches at 25 yard. Soft lead .44-40 cowboy loads keyhole and won't stay on a 20-inch square target backer. Normal cylinder bore patterns with Game Getter shot loaded in 5 in 1 blank cases.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Mold
    Was trying to blow up the old rossi. Took a case full of bench powder waste before it let loose. Using 9.3x74 brass you are going from 45 to 410 directly into the barrel without squeezing in down. My mind tells me the center on the shot goes down range first follow by the outside of shot. If you have time Iraqvetern888 has videos on utube.

Boolit Mold
    No jacket but 200 grain lead at Standard 45 acp speed in the 9.3x74. Pulled it out of the sand trap, makes for a much longer bullit.

Quote Originally Posted by MEHecker View Post
    Was watching Iraqvetern888 video on trying to blow up an old rossi 410. All I shoot is brass I reload, 9.3x74 and 444 marlin. Watching him send downrange 45 colt, 454, 444 marlin got me to thinking. He reducing 45 down to 410 that is a no no. I'm doing it with a brass shell with bird shot. Why is it OK with bird shot and not a solid bullet?
    You can load a solid bullet into a brass .410 case and shoot it out of a .410 shotgun if that is what you are asking. The bullet just needs to be sized correctly is all. My halibut load is a 40cal roundball loaded over red dot with .410 wad in between in a 444 case out of a .410 single shot snake charmer. Works just fine.

Boolit Mold
    No, I'm talking about squeezing a load of shot In a brass 9.3x74 or 444 marlin witch would be 45 caliber down to 410 bore. To me I would think that there would be a major pressure spike.

Quote Originally Posted by MEHecker View Post
    No, I'm talking about squeezing a load of shot In a brass 9.3x74 or 444 marlin witch would be 45 caliber down to 410 bore. To me I would think that there would be a major pressure spike.
    Should not be an issue as the shot is not a solid projectile. You would basically be loading a shotgun shell same as if you were using a .410 brass or plastic hull. The pressure would be affected by how heavy of a load of shot you used not necessarily the bore diameter. I would think a cut shell would produce more pressure as this is like firing a slug. I've fired plenty of cut shells. They do a number on woodchucks but no harm to the gun.

You lost me at “trying to blow up a Rossi .410.”
    What a waste of a good shotgun!
    Idiots abound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why is it OK with bird shot and not a solid bullet ?

When discharged, bird/buck shot flows/changes position in the bore, so gives lower pressures than solid boolits, which do not.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    someone..think its harrington n richardson?? make a survivor shotgun..its a 410/45long colt with very light slow rifling....
    your CASE is irrelevant for birdshot..if it chambers it CANNOT be physically bigger than the 410 chamber..if payload is 3/4oz or less it will be no different....
    I made up a .410 cinsert for the .12ga it has ZERO difference in size from one end to the other..straight chamber and barrel is same diameter..I can drop a .45/70 projectile through it. agree if barrel is choked using solid all bets are off.... definately would not fire a 45 long colt through shotgun with ANY choke at all.

Boolit Buddy
    How does a Taurus judge do it?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by badwolf View Post
    How does a Taurus judge do it?
    >452 Bore...most probably...Like the Contender...made for .45 but chambers 410's