MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12 gauge Tree Trimmer.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by entina View Post
    It never occurred to me to use it in that way before. I should give it a try
    entina,

Welcome to the Campfire; I see this is only your 4th post. Living in a rural area, I was told by the tree guy he had to bring his high lifter, etc., and a few small limbs cost "about $150.00." No, thanks.

A box of trap loads later, NO MORE LIMB Problems.

Welcome.

Adam

Boolit Master
    I’ve used several different cartridges to prune trees through the years.
    Best I’ve found is/was my Winchester M94 “Legacy” in .45Colt.
    I use the Lee .452” 255gr RFN over 8.2gr of Universal. It’s profoundly accurate and busts limb’s taking 1/2” swaths out.

Boolit Buddy
    When I was a kid, dad and I walked off Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner by taking a walk up the hollow behind the house. Mostly we found and harvested hornet's nests in the top of trees.
    A 12 gauge is a good thing when you want to make astronauts out of tent caterpillars.
    For serious limbing work nothing beats a 50-70. At 20 yards a moderate load took the back out of the target 6 inch poplar.
    Worked a lime kiln job with a couple of contractors who were Civil War buffs. We walked past the burner end of the kiln and they had a fit. Seems the Winchester kiln gun (think vintage) was very similar to a Williams gun. The supervisor was not amused at the "Can we please fire it? Just once?" request.

Boolit Master

For many years I would "cut" our Christmas tree with a 12 ga. We had a large amount of cedar trees on our property that we mostly used for fence posts. The post size trees were not nearly as pretty for Christmas trees as the top 6 0r 7 of the 20 foot tall and taller trees were. I would shoot them a few inches below where they needed to be cut so I could make a clean cut. The trees would continue to grow and still make barn post or split post for the fence.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

While walking this morning, I came across a broken but still attached hanging limb on our ATV trail. Cab height and in the way….
    One shot of 7-1/2 1-1/8 oz 12 gauge dropped it easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    I had heard somewhere that is how mistletoe is harvested!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    I have done that.
    Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

When I lived in Knoxville, TN a neighbor told me about his experience growing up in Mississippi. He said there had been a bad ice storm and tree limbs hung over the power lines, causing an outage. He walked the power lines with his 22 rifle, and shot down the offending branches.

Wayne
    Last edited by WRideout; 01-28-2024 at 08:55 PM. Reason: spelling
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Grand Master

First year we had our 1st 43 Spanish Roller took it to a pastor friend's home near Decatur, Ill-nois. We went out to a relative's farm to do some shooting. There was a large cotton wood tree along a fence row that extended put into the crop area far enough it was a tractor issue.
    Well our solution was 400 grain 40-1 slugs about a foot from the trunk. Took 15+ rounds but those BP loads did the trick. Limb area where shot was about 8".
    Happily we did not have to drag it away.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

I've taken down small cedars with a 12g. Not the most efficient method, but fun.
    Oh and had an old bird feeder with a paper wasp nest in it. I told em to come out peaceable but they wouldn't do it!
    Known traffic menace

Boolit Master

Grandson got a new drone for Christmas a couple years ago. About his second flight, it landed/crashed on a walnut limb about 40 feet up. Went to the house and grabbed the .357 Marlin and a box of .38s. Boy was crying, "grandpa, don't shoot my drone". About a dozen well place shots and the limb sagged easily to about 6 feet off the ground. Reached up and picked the drone off the limb. Faith restored in grandpa./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master
    I thought I was the only country feller who did that - high brass 6's in my 12 gauge 870 work just fine. But during the last ice storm I talked to a feller with the power company about it. He said most of them had 12 gauge pumps in their trucks and used them often.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Thank You! I am sorry I digressed to discussion of a rifled firearm for pruning and pest control on a shotgun/tree trimming thread!

Longbow
    Don't feel sorry, LB, I'll back you up:

While I was still a teen, a friend's father complained of a branch on a large chestnut tree, interfering with the flag on their flagpole.
    Always willing to help, I fired a couple of 3006 - converted from FMJ to hollow points - through the base of the offending branch.
    Nothing happened, and we turned to walk away, when BAMM!! The branch came crashing down!

Years later, a logger told me that they always treated chestnut trees with outmost respect, as branches and trunks would snap without
    warning when cutting them down.
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Buddy
    Darn FEW chestnuts of american origin left..........thanks to an imported asiatic infection that in effect wiped out that species in the first half of the 20th century. Kind of a super covid epidemic for forests! What a shame we can't respond in kind.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12