RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: some thing cheap to shoot

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    Abert found a solid "cheap to shoot" concept.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...this-somewhere
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Grand Master
    When primers were $20/k and powder was $15/lb, my "cheap to shoot" was 125 gr bullets in .38 Spl cases and 2.7 gr of Clays. The cost of a new gun, barrel, reamers, gunsmithing, sights, mold, and dies killed the idea of a .30 Badger. With .38's, I could shoot my lever actions (3 at the time) and revolvers (4 at the time) instead of being limited to one gun. Plus, I reloaded .38's on the 1050 at 700/hr. BTW, see no reason for "cheap to shoot" unless you intend to shoot a lot. Investing in something new, and shooting less than 2500 rounds a year, does not make sense when .22LR is $160 for 2400 delivered - $.067/rd. You cannot reload anything for $70/k.

https://2awarehouse.com/federal-22lr...ange-pack-box/

I am ordering a good quality airsoft gun. Got a recommendation on an airsoft forum but was advised to wait for the new model to be introduced. Cost for the gun and battery will be $300-325 and 10,000 biodegradable BB's are $32. That come 300 shots for a buck without needing CO2 or air. It will be neat to shoot full auto too! The grandson will have a blast.

Here is the current version of the gun I am ordering:

https://www.evike.com/products/104049/

I will post a review in the airguns subform when I get it.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    When primers were $20/k and powder was $15/lb, my "cheap to shoot" was 125 gr bullets in .38 Spl cases and 2.7 gr of Clays. The cost of a new gun, barrel, reamers, gunsmithing, sights, mold, and dies killed the idea of a .30 Badger. With .38's, I could shoot my lever actions (3 at the time) and revolvers (4 at the time) instead of being limited to one gun. Plus, I reloaded .38's on the 1050 at 700/hr. BTW, see no reason for "cheap to shoot" unless you intend to shoot a lot. Investing in something new, and shooting less than 2500 rounds a year, does not make sense when .22LR is $160 for 2400 delivered - $.067/rd. You cannot reload anything for $70/k.

https://2awarehouse.com/federal-22lr...ange-pack-box/

I am ordering a good quality airsoft gun. Got a recommendation on an airsoft forum but was advised to wait for the new model to be introduced. Cost for the gun and battery will be $300-325 and 10,000 biodegradable BB's are $32. That come 300 shots for a buck without needing CO2 or air. It will be neat to shoot full auto too! The grandson will have a blast.

Here is the current version of the gun I am ordering:

https://www.evike.com/products/104049/

I will post a review in the airguns subform when I get it.
    Just as a "note", Dverna and perhaps others, in the state I reside in any/all ammunition purchases MUST be face to face -- ZERO mail-order -- and, "a firearms dealer or ammunition seller may not transfer ownership of ammunition to any purchaser who is not a firearms dealer or ammunition seller, unless the purchaser has first passed a background check." Oh... there's a $2.50 USD "fee" added to each ammo purchase -- whether you buy but one round out of a barrel, or a case of factory ammo.
    Many sellers of ammunition KNOW they have anyone who wishes to shoot "by the short-hairs", as they say. Sooo, one can generally find the going price in most states, add 15% to 20% -- and you get the cost in New York. PLUS, of course, that $2.50 fee; and... 8% sales tax on it all!
    I so appreciate the ability to still find some lead (this is now viewed by most as more toxic than arsenic (slight -- very slight exaggeration -- a neighboring town is digging up and replacing all lead water-supply piping with plastic; removed lead NOT for sale or acquisition -- going to secure toxic site!). It's getting soooo hard to even find lead wheel-weights -- they've been ILLEGAL here since April 1st, 2011! But, one might still get lucky... (God bless RotoMetals!)
    Assuming one has the brass, home-cast, sized, and lub'd bullets, primers, and powders -- my only real cost is from the primers and powder. While I do wish to go to Heaven, I'm in no hurry to get there and hopefully when I pass I'll still have a few of the latter in my reloading den.
    I do have a few (31) air arms -- and love the quiet fun (at camp) spending full days at a time shooting them; truck-battery-powered compressor for the PCPs.
    And, I do agree with you the purchase of "something good".

Boolit Master
    My attempts at a cheap shooter have never been to build a high dollar rifle or handgun. But more of a contraption. I have made some tools and rebarreled a S&W revolver and could do somethng on that order or weld a lug on a piece of barrel and convert a single shot, shotgun, I have rebarreled a few bolt action rifles and have some actions to work with or maybe an encore or contender. I have narrowed my choices to the 30 Badger, or something made with 223 rem brass. I will do some more research on the TCM before I make a choice. Buying off the shelf dies does seem like a cost-effective way to go. Challenger, I saw that video a few days back and its just a little too crude for me. My friend has made some 3/4 inch bore cannons and would make a new one or give me one of his completed barrels in a heartbeat. I am a retired carpenter with a lot of woodworking equipment, and I will be making the carriages for them anyway.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    Ebb, I posted that as a joke, as some of the "suggestions" being put forward were a bit... outlandish?
    "Cheap" to shoot is relative: like Blondes, Brunettes and Redheads: it really goes back to what One's preference is.
    30 Badger is easy: all One needs is a stash of orphan 38 brass and a 30 Mauser die set. Heck, I'm shooting 30 Mauser
    cast reloads in my P14. As soon as the Bonnie Boys in Alaska get my new chamber insert made, I will be doing the same
    with my Argentines. Still will not be as "cheep" as potting away with my 22's, but it is the path I have chosen.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Buddy
    When .22 LR was 15.00 to 20.00 per brick a few years ago, I stocked up to the point that I was almost embarassed...almost. I got over my embarassment when bricks topped 80 bucks. My advice: Stock up on .22's when the price gets a bit lower as they are the least expensive option there is for cheap shooting. My .02 cents.

At one time I could load and shoot .44 magnum and .45 acp for about a nickel a pop, Ah, the good old days. Of course I didn't count my labor as my casting/reloading was considered a hobby. I never put a price on a 'labor of love'.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Boolit Mold
    Agreed, Slugster. Oh how I long for the primer and powder prices of 5-6 years ago. I can remember passing on a case of 5,000 small rifle primers at an action because the bid went to $30 or $35 per 1,000. Hindsight...

Boolit Master
    Ive got 22LRs and they are in fact as cheap as it gets. Just looking at something reloadable, for the future. Maybe its time to start reloading 22s or making priming compound and reloading primers.

Boolit Grand Master

I'll admit that 22's are relatively cheap and fun to shoot, but I prefer something with a little more thump in it. I could make my own blackpowder and shoot one of my flintlocks but have been playing a lot with my .32 caliber Walther lately. I've been loading a 78 grain boolet over 1.5 grains of N-310 powder which would give me over 4,600 rounds per pound of powder. That's relatively cheap in my book.

I also own 5 PCP airguns, BUT the goobermint in my State says I am only able to shoot them at the local rifle/pistol range (which is open only on Saturday and Sunday and you have to make a reservation for one of the time slots which enable you to shoot for one hour and fifteen minutes!). The laws locally do NOT allow airguns to be used on public hunting land either.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    Stubshaft i had to use google to find out what was the southern most stats in the union. But if my search was correct, we both live in Florida. And the town I live in sent me a copy of a state law about home shooting ranges. The STATE law says anybody with over an acre of land can operate a home shooting range, with that provision that all bullets are keep on the property. I confirmed this with the mayor of my town who owns the 10 acre tract the adjoins my property. He used his backhoe to provide me a small berm to shoot into. If you live in the West Palm Beach area you are welcome to shoot into my berm anytime you wish. The law you mention must be a county or city law or someone is giving you bad info. Since Ron has become governor the state has been very friendly to us around here (provided you keep all bullets on your property).

Boolit Mold
    It's basically the 9MM necked down to 22 cal. I have two pistols and a rifle in the caliber. Ammo is fairly cheap, about .50 a round. It's easy to reload and a blast to shoot.

Boolit Master
    What is basically a 9mm necked down to 22? please tell us much more.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    What is basically a 9mm necked down to 22? please tell us much more.
    22 TCM maybe? I was sniffing around this morning for a revolver chambered in TCM and didnt see one.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by brokeasajoke View Post
    22 TCM maybe? I was sniffing around this morning for a revolver chambered in TCM and didnt see one.
    22 TCM is a popular choice in rifles. You can also buy a 1911 with two barrels which can shoot 22 TCM or 9MM out of the same magazine.

Boolit Master

I'm guessing Hawaii is the southern most state in the union.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Buddy
    Considered a 22 TCM rifle. Looks like unavailable at the moment.

Boolit Grand Master

Necking 9mm Luger cases down to 22 cal and loading 22 cal cast boolits in it sounds like Punishment for Crimes committed against children and the elderly ...

It makes my head hurt just thinking about it ...

No way would I want that ... and it doesn't sound like a cheap shooter !

I found out 22 TCM is made from 5.56 Nato case , shortened to 38 Super length ... WOW !
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 03-10-2024 at 06:33 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Necking 9mm Luger cases down to 22 cal and loading 22 cal cast boolits in it sounds like Punishment for Crimes committed against children and the elderly ...

It makes my head hurt just thinking about it ...

No way would I want that ... and it doesn't sound like a cheap shooter !

I found out 22 TCM is made from 5.56 Nato case , shortened to 38 Super length ... WOW !
    Gary
    Like you, I missed the point until I thought about for a while.

It is cheap to shoot because it such a pain that you end up shooting less and save tons of money.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    A friend bought a bunch of reloading stuff at a flea market Saturday. I was just looking through it and noticed a bunch of 30 carbine brass. Was thinking maybe this would be the cheap to shoot cartridge???? I know Ruger made a single action revolver, and I think it was AMT made a semi auto, has anyone ever chambered a bolt action in 30 carbine?

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    A friend bought a bunch of reloading stuff at a flea market Saturday. I was just looking through it and noticed a bunch of 30 carbine brass. Was thinking maybe this would be the cheap to shoot cartridge???? I know Ruger made a single action revolver, and I think it was AMT made a semi auto, has anyone ever chambered a bolt action in 30 carbine?
    The cartridge is cheap to shoot for sure. I saw an AMT sell at an auction last summer. It went for about $800 more than I anticipated.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast