Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Wideners Load Data
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: some thing cheap to shoot

Boolit Grand Master
    Ebb, hope your health improves. It sucks. At the Ohio Sate shoot about a decade ago I had to stop shooting after the first 50 rounds. I could not lift the gun. In 2012, I came in second at the Michigan State shoot after running 200x200. Things can change quickly.

I still battle issues but have never given up. Sounds like are wired the same way. Keep on keeping on!

Hope you are back shooting 10k rounds a year and building new toys soon. Good luck!
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Thanks Just the results of a life as a carpenter.

Boolit Master
    I like to shoot but I also like reloading and casting. I have pellet guns as well as 22lrs and center fire from 22H to 416 Rem. I don't shoot a lot anymore so I have enough components to shoot as much as I want for the rest of my life without having to buy any components.

I still like to shoot cheaply. Some of the calibers I like for cheap shooting and some performance are 22H, 22KH, 25/20 and 256Win. All shoot cast well enough and at the price I paid for components I can shoot any of these for around 3 to 4 cents per round using cast. I even shoot the 416 with cast. I got quite a bit of powder free that works well in the 416 so I can shoot it for about the same as the little guns.

I am just plain cheap so shooting cheaply and reasonably accurate is interesting and fun for me. My 22cal PCP is quite accurate and is great for dispatching small critters around the house but it's a bit light for skunks. Even a 22lr is a bit light but the 22H or KH work great. I also shoot a few jacketed bullets for hunting deer or elk but I shoot so few of those that 100 rounds of 300 H&H or 350 Rem should last the rest of my life.

Last year I used a homemade jacketed 270 gr in my 41 mag to take a 3x4 Buck in the front yard. I guess I just like messing with guns and ammo for them. The cost for that round was a 2 cent primer and whatever 30 grs of Lilgun cost several years ago.

Anyway, this is an interesting thread but I don't have a need to worry about whether a round costs 5 cents or $2. I just don't shoot enough of the high dollar stuff to matter.

I also shoot arrows at deer and those with broadhead are around $7 to $10 each.

Boolit Master
    I don't worry much about the cost per round. I might if I had a full auto or a semi-auto that I rapid fired a lot. About the only rapid fire I do is the plate rack with my EAA Witness 9mm. I few mags will empty a box of ammo doing that, even factory 9mm is pretty cheap. I really wish our range plate racks were bigger, I can clean the rack with less than half a mag. I love it when the range is not busy so I can use two plate racks .

What I love about reloading is the way it lets me experiment. I don't so much like casting and loading but more what it lets me explore.
    Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Buddy
    For ME! It's the 9mm. Why? Between my wife and I, we have three firearms in that caliber. Two semi auto hand guns and one carbine rifle. I've always been one to prefer to have a setup where I have a rifle and a pistol in the same caliber. I've been a "prepper" since the Clinton years when black helicopters flew over our Saturday club shooting matches. I can load hundreds of rounds that function in both handgun and rifle. I still have my .308 rounds loaded for longer distances. But I have my "multifunctional" ammo for the "everyday" tasks.

Well, now I wish I'd gone ahead with the lever action cast cartridge produced by forming 30-30 brass in the 6.8SPC dies
    but I'll be just as happy with a rifle shooting miniature minie balls...
    Which reminds me to order that .449 diameter sizer.

Boolit Master
    All the cheap to shoot centerfires cost the same. With primers at 8 cents, bullet and powder charge weight don't matter much. You can shoot pretty much everything from .22 Hornet to 308 to .357 mag for 10 cents a round if you use a light bullet and light powder charge. If you are hard on brass or don't anneal then maybe stick with 9mm or .223. If you want a new gun, you can pretend it is for cheap shooting but can't see how it will save much when primers are the major cost driver. Now that .22 lr is down to less than the cost of primers again, well, break out the rim fires and light um up.

I am thinking I want a breach loading flintlock in .22 cal. A mini Hall carbine, please. 32 cal would be ok too.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567