Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Anyone got any tried and true cast loads for a 1895 Browning in 30/06?

Boolit Master

Anyone got any tried and true cast loads for a 1895 Browning in 30/06?

Recieved a really slick specimen 1895 today, with buckhorn/bead barrel sights and a Tang Marbles sight. The buckhorn sights are dead on at 100 yds with factory federal 150 jsp, and the peep sight is on about 250, from what little I shot it. Gun is about mint conditon except for a hairline grain crack in the buttstock starting at the butt plate and traveling about 2". I am going to fix it tomorrow with liquid acraglass. I have Lee molds in 150 and 170, and a Noe 190 gr with 4 grease grooves/GC that shoots very well in a 30/40 AI krag single shot I have. I have found that the 190 gr will shoot well in a variety of guns that normally shoot 170 grs, I am hoping this 30/06 will shoot it well. Its metal buttplate packs a punch with factory ammo. The gun works like melted butter spreads,feeding and ejecting, great trigger around #2 and crisp. All replies appreciated.

Boolit Buddy
    I have several 30-06 al of them love a 225 gr boolit over a splash of 2400 start around 16 gr for paper punching up to around 23 gr for hide punching. As for the Browning 1885 I have one in 38-55 that will shoot ragged holes at 100yds and never heard of any caliber of them that didn't shoot real well.

James

I’ve been using 193 gr rnfp .311 gc Hunters Supply boolits with V-V Tin Star [out of print-much sadness] in my ‘03 and Krags. Using them for BAMM so large steel thats close. Haven’t shot them in my ‘06 1895 Browning yet. Bought it for a rebuild into a NRA 1895 Musket.

I have an original '95 in 30 06 that shoots everything I have tried well, both cast and jacketed. Jackets I use are 165gr to 180gr spire points and lead goes 185 to 210gr Lyman #2 with a gas check. Lead is sized to .310. Most of my loads are 1800-2000fps, never found the need to go faster. The gun was made in 1924 IIRC. Has the nifty Lyman 21 peeper too!