WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: S&W has a new one

I like my ugly, sucky Henry with its threaded barrel and removable magazine tube.

Boolit Master
    I love my lever guns, I have a variety of them. Henry, Winchester, and Marlin. All do the same thing, but all are different and pretty in their own way. My rub with S&W is they didn’t do it their way. It’s simply a copy that they’ll charge more for to cover whatever licensing fees they incur or because they are a “premium” brand. And two models in only one available caliber. And they want an arm and a leg for the fancy version. I’ll keep buying nice older Marlins and Winnie’s and new Henry’s.

Boolit Master

So now it's a race between Marlin and S&W as to who will supply the stainless, railed, and threaded 357 that I'm waiting for.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    I have heard of people putting an O-ring on the crossbolt safety to keep it from ruining a once in a lifetime shot.
    That's what I do, a spare injector cover o-ring from my MF-165 was a perfect fit. With the o-ring in place, the safety will not engage unless you push it so hard it tears the o-ring.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I think Winchester nailed lever guns with the M95 as did marlin with their M95. there was no need to design any farther.
    It would be nice if somebody would come out with a new traditional lever gun chambered in 38 56, 38 70, 40 70, 40 82 or 40 65 with traditional slow twist rifling, true express rounds just like the old days. The 45 70 is just too boring....

Boolit Master
    I appreciate your liking the old calibers, but in the interim, I'd just like to see some brass available in .38-55 and .375 Win that was only available on indefinite backorder. GF

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by freakonaleash View Post
    I think Winchester nailed lever guns with the M95 as did marlin with their M95. there was no need to design any farther.
    It would be nice if somebody would come out with a new traditional lever gun chambered in 38 56, 38 70, 40 70, 40 82 or 40 65 with traditional slow twist rifling, true express rounds just like the old days. The 45 70 is just too boring....
    I can certainly get on board with you by wanting those things. But I think that it's like asking an engine manufacturer to start producing coal fired models - sure they probably have a niche market, but they're not likely to be profitable at a cost that is affordable.
    One can certainly purchase an available production lever gun and rechamber to about anything one can imagine!
    (And I'm on board with you on the '95 Winnie!)

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    I can certainly get on board with you by wanting those things. But I think that it's like asking an engine manufacturer to start producing coal fired models - sure they probably have a niche market, but they're not likely to be profitable at a cost that is affordable.
    One can certainly purchase an available production lever gun and rechamber to about anything one can imagine!
    (And I'm on board with you on the '95 Winnie!)

I'll just keep buying the old ones I guess. The quality is 100% better than this new stuff anyway.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by freakonaleash View Post
    I'll just keep buying the old ones I guess. The quality is 100% better than this new stuff anyway.
    There ya go! Nothing wrong with that at all!

Boolit Buddy
    At first glance, I wondered if Henry was making these for S and W...I have not researched it, but I thought it for a minute???

Boolit Grand Master
    It is great that companies are trying to offer something besides ARs and cheap bolt actions that shoot MOA. Like a few others, I am not enamored by tacticool lever actions, but I am old school and part of a shrinking market.

I could see getting a lever action in stainless steel and even a laminated stock. But over $1000 for something with a plastic stock does not sit right. But I would not be buying another lever action CF so what I think is immaterial. If this offering is successful for the newer crop of shooters, that is what matters.

I was lucky to get some “real” lever actions decades ago and am happy with them. But that new Winchester Ranger might suck me in if it shoots well.
    Last edited by dverna; 01-25-2024 at 09:50 AM.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    The Mag Tube system sounds interesting.
    Henry (and/or Rossi?) does that. It adds a lot of weight. So probably a pass for me while I hold out for a Marlin Dark .357.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    In the videos, the SW's whole tube comes out, not just the inner tube like a Henry or a 22 tube loader. Might be a little lighter than a Henry. But the Henry tube fed Big Boy system may weigh 4 or 5 z more than say the equivalent Marlin or Winchester tube system. But theHenry over all does weigh a bit more than 5 oz over the others. Its heaviest out of my collection.

I actually prefer more weight in most long guns. I'm a big guy and more weight helps me hold it steady.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JRD View Post
    The limited edition blue ones have high grade walnut stocks where the wood costs way more than the stainless version of the rifle. They will likely due a blue version with plain walnut that is a closer to the stainless/ polymer price. The stainless version is priced to be competitive with the new Ruger/ Marlins.

For traditionalists who only like to shoot vintage lever actions, this doesn't get us excited, but there is a large group of newer gun people who grew up on plastic bottom feeders and AR's and are ready to branch out into revolvers and lever actions. Hence Henry getting into revolvers and S&W now getting into leverguns.
    There is also some market demand for straight wall cartridge hunting rifles in certain states.

It can't hurt for there to be another player to compete for market share in the levergun space.
    It's nice to have a good knock around rifle that you're not so worried about getting scratched or having dew fall on it.

Boolit Master

Man hard pass, I dated girls back inna day weren’t that ugly….jmho

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Thundermaker View Post
    It's nice to have a good knock around rifle that you're not so worried about getting scratched or having dew fall on it.
    That's what those ugly *** henrys are for.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazman1602 View Post
    Man hard pass, I dated girls back inna day weren’t that ugly….jmho

Art
    Oh, but I did! Then I met my wife who is good looking and has low standards. For the win!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    I have heard of people putting an O-ring on the crossbolt safety to keep it from ruining a once in a lifetime shot.
    I guess I just don’t understand how it’s costing people successful shots. Cock the hammer and use the safety just like a bolt gun. That way, you know the safety is off when you are ready to pull the trigger.

Not directed at you rockrat. Just a general observation from earlier posts.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by vonb View Post
    I guess I just don’t understand how it’s costing people successful shots. Cock the hammer and use the safety just like a bolt gun. That way, you know the safety is off when you are ready to pull the trigger.

Not directed at you rockrat. Just a general observation from earlier posts.
    Simple. You decide to unload the gun and see that stupid safety button and start thinking about how you could just click it and unload all 10 rounds without worrying about bumping the trigger. Then you hop in the truck and go to the next deer driving location, load up, chamber and lower to half cock. The stupid safety never enters your mind because it has one specific use (unloading) while the main safety for 150 years is half cock. So now the big buck comes running through and stops at 5 yards. You shoulder the gun, cock it and let it fly just to hear the saddest little clink you could imagine. Nobody runs around with a lever gun at full cock and people would look at you funny if you did.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast