RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: gas checked plain lead

gas checked plain lead

Is there anyone who has tried revolver loads, say at .357 or 44magnum speed level, with straight lead (no alloy) and gas check?
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Yes. The bullet leaded the forcing cone which told me that the bullet was riveting when it hit the forcing cone. You may get away with dead soft alloy if you powder coat your gas checked bullets, but there are limits there as well.

Boolit Master

Or if you keep pressures below what a pure lead alloy will stand. Maybe 38 special or lighter.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

Boolit Master

The original load for the .357 Magnum back in 1935 (?), loaded by Remington, used a very soft lead bullet at a velocity of 1510 fps from the 8-3/8" barrel of the Model 27 Smith & Wesson revolver. It was used by Major D.B. Wesson to kill all manor of big game, including Grizzly Bear. He said that the gun was very effective, but that it leaded the barrel very badly. Elmer Keith's design, the #358429 IIRC, was a big step forward when properly alloyed and lubed. I forget now which alloy Elmer used in his loads but I've run straight COWW's, air cooled, up to 1500 fps from .357 and .44 mag Contender's with no problem at all. I do not know if the original Remington loads used a gas check or not but Elmer never saw the need for them on his bullets. The old adage "He who does not learn from history is doomed to repeat it" rings true here - pure lead, magnum pressure......just don't!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

if I still had any doubts, you took it away : Thanks everyone for the replies and clarifications !
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Master
    There's this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wooters wadcutter2.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	322469