Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Hammer for Rogers & Spencer

Boolit Bub

Hammer for Rogers & Spencer

Does anyone know how true the hammers of the reproductions are in dimensions to the originals?
    Maybe the internals of the repros are made with modern coil springs even?
    If I should bother to try to find a hammer as a spare part to fit or just have one made from scratch.
    In that case I might also change the angle of the spurr to something a bit more ergonomical.

Also does anyone know what load they used in these, larger dose than the 1860 army?
    Last edited by Eamonn; 05-03-2024 at 12:40 PM.

Boolit Master
    I never owned one but always wanted one. If it were my gun, I'd chance the repro hammer. Have you looked for an original hammer? I don't think the repros were made with coil springs.
    As far as the loads - I'm pretty sure they're comparable to the Colt 1860 Army, and Remington 44 New Model.
    Can you post a pic of it?

Boolit Master
    i have 2 RS one to shoot and one to have for spare parts great guns and 21 grains 3f shoots great

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    These were intended as a martial firearm and to keep things consistent, I have to believe that they would have been intendeds to take the same .44 combustible cartridge the were issued for the 1860 Colt, Remington NMA and other 44 caliber percussion pistols that were issued and in use during the war.

Boolit Bub
    I think I'll get a repro hammer if I find one an try. Originals are probably hard to find here although I might be wrong as our legislation favours antique C&B guns. They are unregluated as opposed to reproductions that are regulated the same as modern pistols and require continous active club membership and competition results to own.

It is in working order except that the hammer falls if you pull the trigger at half cock. So not optimal for anything more than a test fire.
    The reason I asked about the load is that the only comparison I found was to the Dragoon and I haven't handled any of the full size pistols to get a feel for it.

Here it is next to a Colt 1862 Police:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Revolvrarna - kopia.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	113.0 KB 
ID:	326392