WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223

Thread: My homemade Golden powder!

Boolit Master
    I use those exact screen sizes to separate my powder.
    It works well and does match most factor powder grain sizes.
    But I only do BP right now.
    But this thread is getting interesting for another kind of powder.

Boolit Buddy

Comparative power levels

Homemade powders, from weakest to strongest, near as I can determine:

Golden Powder
    White (Starch) Powder
    Crimson Powder
    Screened Black Powder
    Puck & Corned Black Powder
    Pyrodex
    BH 209 / 777
    Sugar / Chlorate Powder

With Black Powder the quality of the Charcoal can make the final product vary quite a bit. TP black powder is more than Pyrodex, but I've also made stuff that was weaker than anything on this list.

Most ballistic testing I have seen puts Pyrodex a little ahead of commercial BP. I have never used 209 or 777 but I think those are a little more yet again

The Sugar / Chlorate powder is at the upper limit for muzzleloaders, and that with loads at half what they would be for BP. If it cycles a 9mm, which it does, its way more than BP. In fact I have heard that you can use it as a direct replacement for Unique.

I don't know where "KNSU" made with Potassium Nitrate instead of Potassium Chlorate fits on this list.

I would assume the homemade Smokeless powders discussed elsewhere on this board would be at the bottom of this list and too powerful for a muzzleloader.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 S&W Long, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, 10mm, 44 Special 44 Magnum. .223, 7.62x39, 7.62 x 54R, .30-06, 45-70, .32, .36, .44. .45. .50. .54. .58 and .60 round ball and various minies. And .375 heel crimped conical for those .36 conversions . KB6MRP on Discord

Boolit Master
    Thank you for listing all the homemade stuffs level of power.
    One other thing that I would like to see for comparisons is how well it cleans up or the amount of dirt or junk that each kind of powder produces.
    Plus how are they as far as promoting rust or damage to the metal or finishes of not cleaned the same day , or if a gun is left loaded for any period of time.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TM101 View Post
    Homemade powders, from weakest to strongest, near as I can determine:

Golden Powder
    White (Starch) Powder
    Crimson Powder
    Screened Black Powder
    Puck & Corned Black Powder
    Pyrodex
    BH 209 / 777
    Sugar / Chlorate Powder

With Black Powder the quality of the Charcoal can make the final product vary quite a bit. TP black powder is more than Pyrodex, but I've also made stuff that was weaker than anything on this list.

Most ballistic testing I have seen puts Pyrodex a little ahead of commercial BP. I have never used 209 or 777 but I think those are a little more yet again

The Sugar / Chlorate powder is at the upper limit for muzzleloaders, and that with loads at half what they would be for BP. If it cycles a 9mm, which it does, its way more than BP. In fact I have heard that you can use it as a direct replacement for Unique.

I don't know where "KNSU" made with Potassium Nitrate instead of Potassium Chlorate fits on this list.

I would assume the homemade Smokeless powders discussed elsewhere on this board would be at the bottom of this list and too powerful for a muzzleloader.
    just a comment - I dont see any difference between screened and corned blackpowder -- made from the same base meal and compared on a weight basis.......volume loaded ?certainly ...............