Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IMR 4064 now costs MORE than Varget?

Boolit Master

IMR 4064 now costs MORE than Varget?

I did my usual check-in at PowderValley.com last night, just to browse and see if anything desirable was in stock. I was surprised to see Varget available, but floored to see that it was $41 cheaper per keg than 4064! Did I miss something? I grabbed two kegs of 4064 a few months ago, and they were priced higher than expected, but this one has me vexed.

Prices are crazy and there’s really no rhyme or reason, just up. I am just happy to find what I’m looking for at this point.

Moderator Emeritus

Hodgdon announced two weeks ago, price increase (12-35%) across the board on all powders, effective 1-15-2024.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Hodgdon announced two weeks ago, price increase (12-35%) across the board on all powders, effective 1-15-2024.
    I guess that means I should grab a few kegs of Varget before they're $430 also.

Boolit Bub
    The group that purchased Vista Outdoors announced that all of our reloading components would have a price increase in 2024
    AND damned if it's not happening

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

I predict a 500% to 1000% increase in component costs in 20 years barring a DRAMATIC change in American society overall.

Between Government, News agencies and Institutions of Higher Education the population is getting brain washed.

Boolit Master
    Since the cost of importing all the powders and components is increasing, shipping costs are going up, labor costs are going up, why wouldn't final prices go up?

And if demand stays high then the financial groups that own most of this stuff will increase prices further (supply and demand almost always rules prices).

Remember that Vista Outdoors sold their ammunition and gun business to the Czechoslovak Group (CSG) last year. That includes a lot of reloading supplies, like Remington, CCI, Federal and Alliant.

Boolit Buddy
    Most powders from my supplier are 39.00 to 45.00 per lb. Alliant Reloader 16 is 75.00 per lb. plus shipping etc. Unique is 55.00 per lb.
    I have a good supply on hand, and will not pay these prices.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    Most powders from my supplier are 39.00 to 45.00 per lb. Alliant Reloader 16 is 75.00 per lb. plus shipping etc. Unique is 55.00 per lb.
    I have a good supply on hand, and will not pay these prices.
    Agreed. Thankfully I have a fair amount of Unique, but I've basically stopped using it unless for special applications. I'm looking more into powders like TAC. Really kicking myself for not jumping on a American Reloading deal I saw last year. H335 equivalent surplus powder for something like $25 lb for 32 lbs. Free shipping and Haz.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanzy4200 View Post
    Agreed. Thankfully I have a fair amount of Unique, but I've basically stopped using it unless for special applications. I'm looking more into powders like TAC. Really kicking myself for not jumping on a American Reloading deal I saw last year. H335 equivalent surplus powder for something like $25 lb for 32 lbs. Free shipping and Haz.
    You are not the only one!!!
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    It appears that Vihtavuori powders that were once considered expensive, are now the same price as most popular powders.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    It's not like they are importing anything I could use anyways. I'll wait until the stupid smoke in ukraine settles.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Master
    Vendor at the gun show this weekend showed me the price comparison between old stock and new. Like $100 on the 8lb jugs.

Alms for the poor. I don’t need any powder right now. Cut my shooting way down. Retired. It’s about 100 bucks to buy a pound on line. I can’t go on much longer. Bp available though. Primers too are way high. Is stopping an option? But keep getting in deeper to my pockets.

Boolit Master
    It is time to bring out the 22 rifles.

Boolit Master

all the IMR powders have gone up significantly in price
    and yes I have been shooting a lot more .22 lately just to keep in practice.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master
    I've been tempted to get a PCP air rifle. Although some of the longer range .22 stuff seems interesting too.

But, I can still get components cheaply enough for my budget so I can still go out to longer ranges.

I did dedicate one rifle to cast bullets a few years ago. Less powder and lead doesn't cost too much.

Boolit Bub
    imr powder is very expensive up here in nova scotia canada. new inventory is running 100$ a lb and primers are rather expensive also.

Boolit Master
    Interesting that most IMR powder is sourced from Canada, then processed and distributed by Hodgdon. Can you get General Dynamics powders from dealers up there?

That brings up another thought. IMR is more expensive than Hodgdon brands? Hodgdon brands tend to come from Australia. Are tariffs or govt regulations different?

I hate be gouged, but what I hate more is not being able to get what I need at any price. Some call it hoarding but I call it being prepared.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast