Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Bushingless 1911

Bushingless 1911

I have a 5" slide that is set up for a bushing system, I want to go bushingless. Can my current slide be machined out to "bushingless" or do I need to replace the slide??

Curious as to why you want to go bushingless? I’m not aware of any serious NRA, CMP, and PPC target shooters use bushingless barrels.

I only have 1 can (currently) that is for my 450 Bushmaster. The thread pitch is 5/8"-24. A standard 45 ACP barrel is not big enough to thread to this size, instead they use a goofy thread pitch size that is used on nothing else. If I go with an extended bull (bushingless) barrel, I will have enough OD to thread it 5/8-24, thus getting double duty from my suppressor.

There is no modification required to change the slide to a bull barrel-no bushing. Just have the new barrel fit buy a gunsmith for best results.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwing View Post
    I only have 1 can (currently) that is for my 450 Bushmaster. The thread pitch is 5/8"-24. A standard 45 ACP barrel is not big enough to thread to this size, instead they use a goofy thread pitch size that is used on nothing else. If I go with an extended bull (bushingless) barrel, I will have enough OD to thread it 5/8-24, thus getting double duty from my suppressor.
    You are aware that most pistol barrels use a booster or Neilson device that unlocks and allows the barrel to tilt and the slide to cycle. There is no guarantee that a direct thread barrel with heavy rifle silencer attached will allow the gun to cycle. You may very well end up with a bushingless single shot 1911, after spending $xxx to get there.
    Last edited by BK7saum; 01-19-2024 at 11:26 PM.

Vendor Sponsor

I'll go you one better than a bull barrel, the Briley 1911 bushing features a spherical ring in a ball joint type sleeve, i.e. the bushing. I have used these on a couple Commanders and they sure shoot like the Briley bushing is superior to any other form of accurizing the business end of a 1911.

https://www.briley.com/c-511-bushings.aspx
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    There is no guarantee that a direct thread barrel with heavy rifle silencer attached will allow the gun to cycle. You may very well end up with a bushingless single shot 1911
    That's OK. Even quieter and I won't have to pick up my brass.

Boolit Master
    I seem to remember a setup from the old days that was a silencer and locked slide. No recoil spring. Single shot. You moved the slide by hand to chamber the next round. Supposed to have been for more quiet operation as there was no noise from the action.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    I'll go you one better than a bull barrel, the Briley 1911 bushing features a spherical ring in a ball joint type sleeve, i.e. the bushing. I have used these on a couple Commanders and they sure shoot like the Briley bushing is superior to any other form of accurizing the business end of a 1911.

https://www.briley.com/c-511-bushings.aspx
    Frank Pachmayr was the first I was aware that used this system. It was designed for bullseyes competition guns. This system is outstanding.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

I bought a magnum research 1911 10mm,,made by bul..
    It is machined for a bushing,although it came with a bull barrell,,so id say you wouldnt have much trouble

Boolit Master
    Charlie B's notes about a 1911 with a suppressor that would fire from a locked slide reminded me that we had seen one like that several years ago. A local car wrecker company was called to tow in a car that had a mechanical failure. As this was just a service call the local police did not inventory the contents of the car. When the wrecker driver dropped the car in his lot he conducted his own inventory of the car's contents. When looking through the contents on the floorboard behind the driver's seat he found a 1911 that was wearing a home-built suppressor. This got the driver freaked out so he called the local police to gather the pistol. Unlike Charlie B's pistol, this pistol had the recoil spring and would cycle as intended. There was one more issue with it. The thumb safety had been de-activated and the pistol could be fired with the safety lever in either the "fire" or "safe" position. The user could fire one quiet round (safety lever up), then drop the lever and cycle the slide by hand to gather the fired case (leaving no evidence behind). Also, several rounds could be fired if needed. We spoke with the FBI and they wanted the pistol inspected by their personnel so we released the pistol to them. In time the pistol was returned and we read their findings. They stated the suppressor worked as designed, so we called the tech who had examined the pistol. When we asked him what he found about the thumb safety he got curious and asked "why?" We explained the by-pass feature and the value that would have on this firearm. That tech got real silent and asked us to let him have another look at the pistol. Off it went again, then back with evaluation of the safety added to his report. Our police took the car owner into custody and passed him to the FBI. Apparently they already knew about him and had lost touch with his travels until this event. We never heard how they dealt with him. FBI also retained the pistol. I had forgotten about it until reading this thread. Thanks for the memories, Charlie B.

I think that I remember reading about S&W model 39s that had a slide lock lever installed.
    Nicknamed “Hush Puppy.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It has been a fairly common modification for suppressed guns. It is intended to prevent the gun from cycling (duh!), which can be pretty loud when you don't have the cartridge report to drown it out.

Boolit Master
    YW, I don't remember where I first heard about that on the 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I think that I remember reading about S&W model 39s that had a slide lock lever installed.
    Nicknamed “Hush Puppy.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've see one of those, and I think a High Standard, in a military museum Special Forces exhibit.

Boolit Master
    I think that the way the silencer was fabricated was also part of why the gun was call a "hush-puppy". If I recall from some 'Nam MacSog contacts while I was in country, the device had a series of rubber-like baffles that were only good for 6-10 rounds, then the gun had to be turned in to have the baffles replaced. For the type of missions those guys had that was more than enough rounds. GF