MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barrel Hone Advice?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by hartwickco View Post
    I've picked up some beater shotguns at auctions over the years, and some of them could really use a barrel hone -- a few heavy, a few light.

I watched a video of Larry Potterfield demonstrating a Sunnen hone system that looked great, and I've seen the lighter Flex-Hone brushes as well.

Any experience or advice with either of these styles? The Sunnen video was on the older side, so I wasn't sure what the modern take on it was. I'm open to anything and cost isn't *that* much of an issue. First and foremost, I want what's going to work well.

Also, long-time lurker, first-time poster. I really appreciate the outstanding content and discussions this forum has provided all of us!
    both of these have worked well for me.

https://www.brownells.com/tools-clea...?sku=531108002

https://www.brownells.com/tools-clea...?sku=080607212

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editor...ng_0406/100368
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-24-2024 at 11:24 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Hey rbuck -- would there be any reason why that Sunnen drill hone couldn't be stuck onto an 18" or 24" bit extender, like the ones used for installing?
    Sunnen makes a bunch of different style hones for their honing machines and for use in a lathe or hand drill.

One example here. Wished the Sunnen part # for the mandrel was listed.

Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-24-2024 at 11:24 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I wasn't aware that sunnen made that long small bore hone. That would be as good a hone as you could get but it probably won't be cheap.

Boolit Grand Master

In the past they did a lot of custom and semi-custom. I've used them for custom jobs a couple of times. Like most quality tools they don't come cheap. Going thru their catalog I came across their line of external hones. Thats a new one on me.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Bub
    That Lisle hone is certainly cheap enough -- I'll very likely pick one of those up if I can find it in stock somewhere, or just wait on Brownells. Definitely worth the experiment as I get comfortable with this.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Sunnen makes a bunch of different style hones for their honing machines and for use in a lathe or hand drill.

One example here. Wished the Sunnen part # for the mandrel was listed.

This is exactly the same video that kicked off my thoughts on all this -- I'm going to try to track down that part number.

Boolit Grand Master

This is exactly the same video that kicked off my thoughts on all this -- I'm going to try to track down that part number.
    Here you go https://forum.accurateshooter.com/th...stion.2995974/

"Ive been in contact with Sunnen in the USA,the company that manufactures all different honing devices.They contacted there Irish agents which is where Im from and they recomended a product with the following product code P3G-P20781UA-FO7X.My question is the price they quoted was 1339 EOROS which is roughly $950.Im thinking this seems pretty steep for a simple tool which is powered by an electric drill.I first came across this tool when Iwas searching through Youtube,I saw a guy called Larry Potterfield from Midway USA using it to polish up a shotgun barrel.If anyone has any advise on this I would welcome it,I think the product there quoting me on is perhaps not the tool I saw on Youtube and maybe you guys could advise me of a different product code.Many thanks."

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    for that price you can send it out and have it back bored and extrusion honed and keep most of that money in your pocket.
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Boolit Grand Master

Surprised they get by with so little oil.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12