WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New jug of H-110?

Boolit Buddy

New jug of H-110?

I cracked open a new jug of H-110 Friday to monkey with before this cold snap hit. I load a good bit of it between two .357 revolvers, a Marlin .357 carbine, and loading .410. For years my go to load for the carbine has been a Lee gas checked 158 SWC @ .359 and 15.6 grains of H-110 in Starline cases with a heavy roll crimp in the crimp groove. Loaded and shot thousands of these. They run around 1730 fps in my carbine with consistent MOA accuracy. At 63 my eyes are not what they used to be. I need readers to look at my manuals and measurements now. I started putting a 2-7 Leupold on the lever guns when I am working up or testing a load in that carbine. Any how back to opening the new jug of powder. By H-110 standards 15.6 grains is not what I consider hot but around 1730 is historically where it shoots best in my carbine. Opening a new can and all, I set up my chronograph dropped down to 15.3 grains with my normal procedure of working back up to 15.6. Checking velocity as I go. First shot at 15.3 did 1719 fps.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2C8D4B0B-026D-4A6D-BE62-9A511E47D5A1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	322298
    Hmm. Went inside and put the scope on the Marlin and loaded a few more at 15.3 and shot a 100 yard group to confirm what I was seeing. Basically the new can of powder duplicates my old 15.6 grain load with 15.3 grains.

Name:	EE709703-744B-4642-BC3B-9085AEADD846.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	322299
    Lot to lot variation within the same powder is worth checking for when opening a new jug of powder.
    Willie

H110 smells like freedom. I like your gun and shooting.

Boolit Master
    Excellent grouping for 100y with a gc lead. Mine will only do 2'' @100y.
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 01-18-2024 at 03:35 PM.

Boolit Master
    Same zero and group?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    Same zero and group?
    Some speculation on my part on zero but my opinion is yes. I mounted the scope and zeroed it before shooting the group just to check accuracy. Group size is representative of how that carbine shoots that bullet with H-110 at that velocity. I loaded 100 more and took the scope back off. Age is catching up to my eyes though. With the iron sites I can only see good enough to shoot 3 moa @ 100 yards any more. At 50 yards with irons, poi is the same as the 15.6 load. I have no reason to think 100 yards is any different. In the woods where I hunt with it, 50 yards is about as far as I can shoot.

looks like your doing good with the scope

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy C View Post
    looks like your doing good with the scope
    Yes sir but it certainly diminishes the balance and handling of that little carbine… kind of a damned if you do and damned if you don’t.

Thanks for sharing that being on this forum i am learning more and more by the day once again Thanks

God Bless

JDAS

Boolit Master
    I really need to get me a lever action 357. They just look like so much fun....
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Carbine length levers are so much fun, scope or otherwise. Like you, I need readers having a terrible time with open sites now. My carbine/short barreled Winchester 94 30-30, the side eject model WITHOUT the crossbolt safety, has a leupold 1x4 and while it shoots so very accurate to 100 yds I wish it without the scope. My load uses a Sierra #2020 125 grain HP and 4320 powder loaded close to max.

Out of curiosity, did you try your original load of 15.6gr of the new H-110 and if so what was the velocity and how did they group? Also, much temperature difference shooting the 15.3gr load compared to the last time you shot 15.6gr of the old stuff?

Banner Sponsor

Great group.
    I was loading for 2 9.3x57 Mausers. 2 different cans of H4895 gave very different results.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
    I cracked open a new jug of H-110 Friday to monkey with before this cold snap hit. I load a good bit of it between two .357 revolvers, a Marlin .357 carbine, and loading .410. For years my go to load for the carbine has been a Lee gas checked 158 SWC @ .359 and 15.6 grains of H-110 in Starline cases with a heavy roll crimp in the crimp groove. Loaded and shot thousands of these. They run around 1730 fps in my carbine with consistent MOA accuracy. At 63 my eyes are not what they used to be. I need readers to look at my manuals and measurements now. I started putting a 2-7 Leupold on the lever guns when I am working up or testing a load in that carbine. Any how back to opening the new jug of powder. By H-110 standards 15.6 grains is not what I consider hot but around 1730 is historically where it shoots best in my carbine. Opening a new can and all, I set up my chronograph dropped down to 15.3 grains with my normal procedure of working back up to 15.6. Checking velocity as I go. First shot at 15.3 did 1719 fps.

Name:	2C8D4B0B-026D-4A6D-BE62-9A511E47D5A1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	322298
    Hmm. Went inside and put the scope on the Marlin and loaded a few more at 15.3 and shot a 100 yard group to confirm what I was seeing. Basically the new can of powder duplicates my old 15.6 grain load with 15.3 grains.

Name:	EE709703-744B-4642-BC3B-9085AEADD846.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	322299
    Lot to lot variation within the same powder is worth checking for when opening a new jug of powder.
    Willie
    This is why I started buying 8 lb er's. I got tired of starting over every time I finished a 1 lb er.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Out of curiosity, did you try your original load of 15.6gr of the new H-110 and if so what was the velocity and how did they group? Also, much temperature difference shooting the 15.3gr load compared to the last time you shot 15.6gr of the old stuff?
    No sir I stopped at 15.3. The velocity was all over where I wanted to be. Temps were 35 degrees cooler on the 15.3 load. I had worked up the 15.6 in the summer. I have six bottles of this new lot, all bought at the same time. 15.3 is my new load for a while…
    Willie

Boolit Grand Master
    Using one chronograph reading can be misleading. A .3 gr difference in H110 should give about a 30 fps difference in velocity at the low end you are working at. But you can get that much variation in shot to shot differences with the same load.

It is too bad powder and primers are so expensive. Folks cannot afford to "waste" rounds to do enough testing.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Using one chronograph reading can be misleading. A .3 gr difference in H110 should give about a 30 fps difference in velocity at the low end you are working at. But you can get that much variation in shot to shot differences with the same load.

It is too bad powder and primers are so expensive. Folks cannot afford to "waste" rounds to do enough testing.
    What am I going to pick up with more testing? Lever gun shooting No2 cast MOA @ 100 yards in a pistol cartridge. 100 yard deer hunting load. 100 yard deer hunting cartridge. With this batch of powder the load tightened up with 0.3 grains less powder than the previous load I worked up. I get it that some enjoy nerding out with tests but there is not much meat left on the bone. I think I’m pretty close to the upper limit of what that combination is capable of with the components I’m using.
    Willie

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
    What am I going to pick up with more testing? Lever gun shooting No2 cast MOA @ 100 yards in a pistol cartridge. 100 yard deer hunting load. 100 yard deer hunting cartridge. With this batch of powder the load tightened up with 0.3 grains less powder than the previous load I worked up. I get it that some enjoy nerding out with tests but there is not much meat left on the bone. I think I’m pretty close to the upper limit of what that combination is capable of with the components I’m using.
    Willie
    You missed the point. You altered your load based on one reading. One chronograph reading does not tell you much.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    You missed the point. You altered your load based on one reading. One chronograph reading does not tell you much.
    The chronograph combined with the cooler weather was a clue my new lot of powder is more energetic than the old. I tested that hunch with a group. That gave me more useful information than 10 chronograph readings and is the basis for how I went at it.

Edit to add: I started loading long before I had a chronograph like most of us old guys. The ammunition I load now shoots no better than before I had a chronograph. The chronograph does short cut figuring some things out.

Willie

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Nice shooting! Wondering if your Brynell hardness changed in your Boolits? When I go up and down in hardness my groups open and close. The weather temps always play a role in it too which has been talked about. Same with loading your for your overall length if you lengthen or shortened it a tad unknowingly it could’ve caused that too. Same with if you’re crimp style changed or it was a little heavier or lighter for the last time around. A tighter crimp is gonna increase pressures and velocity. Also, check your scale. My old RCBS scale that was 13 years old was not very accurate. Maybe dump. A few powder charges out and re-weigh them after recalibrating your scale or grabbing another one to double check. I don’t put a lot of faith in my chronographs either other than it gives me a good estimate on velocity so I can figure out drops . I don’t rely on them for almost accuracy. If I’m shooting through them at just an If I’m shooting through them at just a hair of an angle or a little higher or lower angle or an hair higher or lower than the previous shot placement my Beta isn’t reliably accurate. Either way you got her dialed in!

WillieT, that's a darned good shooting rifle no matter what it chronos. I went to 2400 instead of H110 because of the blast and flash it creates in handguns but the accuracy of that powder can't be beat for top end loads. My 4" 629 shoots pretty fair with a 429421 Lyman and 2400 but it shoots great with H110. I have read that Accurate 11FS is the equivalent of H110 but with a flash suppressant (FS part). Since you have an 8lb keg, I doubt you will need to find any though. BTW, good shooting on your part.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast