WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Auto start/stop on my new car

Boolit Master

Auto start/stop on my new car

Every time I pull up to a stop light it shuts the engine off, then re-starts when I let off the brake. This "fuel saving" feature bugs me. Since I rarely drive the car (my wife has put 99.999% of the miles on the car) I don't get bugged too often. Today was the day that it annoyed me enough to figure out how to disable it. In my mind I can't see how it can possibly save enough fuel to offset the cost of a new battery or starter that I think this wonderful technology will cause.

What are your thoughts?

Boolit Buddy
    It’s okay in bumper to bumper in the city. Turn it off by switching off eco mode.

Yes it can wear out a starter and solenoid. Not the battery tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife’s new Jeep wrangler has this also, I can’t stand the feature. It does have a button on the dash that will disable it thankfully.

Boolit Master
    You should have a way to turn it off. Some vehicles have the option to shut it off and it stays off unless you turn it back on. I have it on my Honda Passport and I have to shut it off every time I turn the car on. This will be my last Honda. When the battery goes it’s a $350 replacement and you’ll be lucky if you don’t have to get a new starting system as well. Ford has a system where you can turn it off and it stays off. So does Nissan. I don’t know which company has which but I’ll check before I buy my next vehicle. This is put on there (at your expense, nothing is free) so the auto companies can lie about their gas mileage. It saves about one-tenth of a mile per gallon.

Sounds like a great feature for subzero temps.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtrubicon View Post
    My wife’s new Jeep wrangler has this also, I can’t stand the feature. It does have a button on the dash that will disable it thankfully.
    My buddy's daughter has a Jeep Compass, someone told her there is a separate battery for that shut off- start back up feature

Boolit Grand Master

A lot depends on the manufacture. GM's are notorious hard to delete that function. My 2023 Silverado is the only one that has it. The claim is the starters have been redesigned to last. The batteries are another matter. They use an absorbed glass-mat (AGM) battery that is double to triple the cost. Unless these AGM batteries last 2 to 3 times as long it's a forced cost increase.

https://www.interstatebatteries.com/...s-the-big-deal
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-16-2024 at 08:40 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by jimlj View Post
    Every time I pull up to a stop light it shuts the engine off, then re-starts when I let off the brake. This "fuel saving" feature bugs me. Since I rarely drive the car (my wife has put 99.999% of the miles on the car) I don't get bugged too often. Today was the day that it annoyed me enough to figure out how to disable it. In my mind I can't see how it can possibly save enough fuel to offset the cost of a new battery or starter that I think this wonderful technology will cause.

What are your thoughts?
    My wife now drives a 2024 Suburu Legacy Limited and it came with this feature. NOT too much of a challenge to disable (turn it off) it -- just check your owners manual or ring/stop by dealership. We find LOTS of the "new, improved, safety/comfort" features not to our liking. Vis your auto, do the headlights both turn on and off as the auto thinks they're needed -- with the real annoy-er being the hi-beams automatically switching on and off? And, if the "eye ball detector" notes you take your eyes off the road (straight ahead) the expletive-thing starts beeping!
    )(I loved my '49 Ford pick-up!!!)
    geo

Boolit Master

I retired as a GM dealership tech 3 years ago. I cannot remember the last time I replaced a starter due to failure. While I agree the auto stop/start feature is annoying as hell, I did not see an increased failure rate of components including batteries due to it. Just my experience with the system.

Boolit Master
    More wear on all the parts involved including the engine getting hotter once coolant isn't moving. If the AC is on it's pulling the battery down. Just wait till your changing lanes as the guy in front of you is braking and the car thinks you're going to hit him. Very violent lock down of the brakes. The term for these cars I'm hearing is "nanny cars".
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by John Wayne View Post
    More wear on all the parts involved including the engine getting hotter once coolant isn't moving. If the AC is on it's pulling the battery down. Just wait till your changing lanes as the guy in front of you is braking and the car thinks you're going to hit him. Very violent lock down of the brakes. The term for these cars I'm hearing is "nanny cars".
    On mine the collision avoidance system can be turned off and it will not turn on until you turn that feature on. The auto stop/start has to be turned off every time you start the vehicle. Lots of plug in deletes but the claim is they could void the warranty if it modifies the computer software.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Moderator Emeritus
    I really like the collision avoidance package, especially when mt kids are driving the car! Many accidents can be prevented using it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by garandsrus View Post
    I really like the collision avoidance package, especially when mt kids are driving the car! Many accidents can be prevented using it.
    Same for me. Mine is allows on. Same for lane wander alert. I flat-out love the adaptive cruise control. You set the speed and if the traffic slow it will slow according and maintain a selected distance.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    My Buick TourX shuts down at lights and there is absolutely no way to turn that feature off on that model. Annoying. But, the car has the manual transmission option, and when I stop, I just shift into 1st and it keeps going.
    My Buick (great car, by the way) is in the shop now. It has 96,000 miles on it and the battery has to be replaced. $400.
    Oh well.

The first time I drove a rental car that had the manual transmission option, I decided to try it (I grew up with manual transmissions). So, I eased up on the gas and reflexively jammed the clutch down with my left foot. But there's no clutch - just the brake. Ooops.

On a GM there are a few driving tricks you do so it will not shut the engine off when stopping for a light. The car has to be stopped from speed of greater than 6 mph. If i know the light will not change i will let it shut off if i think it will turn green soon i will slow down aplly brakes and just before i stop i release the brake and the engine will not stop when i reapply the brake to stop and hold positions. The engine will not shut off if it is hot outside or if it is cold outside. My GM has an Eco mode on the HVAC that lowers the threshold for shut off the engine, increases temp in summer where will shut off (shut off higher temp when in eco mode) OR or lower temp in winter. A smaller battery powers the blowers and radio and other electric equipment and the main battery is used for restarting. My daughter's Ford Escape has an override button that disables the auto shutdown.

Boolit Master
    My wife's 2020 Ram has that 'feature', when in a town with more than 2 stoplights, I turn it off(button under the 2/4 wheel drive selector. The collision avoidance can be really annoying on two tracks in rough country with weeds, trees and rocks all around, braking beeping squealing. I try to keep it turned off.

Boolit Grand Master

That has to be one of the "dumbest" fuel saving features I ever heard of !!!

Re-starting a car every time you come to a stop is hard on a battery...
    In cold weather it's realy hard on batteries .

Have you checked the price of auto batteries lately ...
    The President shut down all lead mining ... we are now dependant on ...
    ... China for batteries ... and the batteries they are foisting on us are ....
    Lets just say ... Not Good and Expensive.

Whomever came up with this "gas saving " scheme is either an Idiot or a Fool .

Don't get me started so early in the morning ... this kind of stuff doesn't have to happen .

I do have a gas saving measure ... manufacture all cars with manual , stick shift , transmissions and a clutch ...
    A lot of people would stop driving !
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 01-17-2024 at 11:14 AM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gtrubicon View Post
    Same.. my wifes gladiator has a disable button.. but you must hit it each time you turn the vehicle on.. wish it was a hard toggle switch.. or at least a soft setting preference you could adjust in the information console.

I hate that feature.
    All our vehicles predate that nonsense but every SUV that I rent for long trips has it. After about 50 times later, I learn to turn it off right after buckling in……

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    People wonder why I drive old cars. Electronic fuel injection and timing on a car is enough. I have been driving cars and motorcycles for 60 years. I don't need someone else to program a computer to drive my car for me. Motorcycles have taught me how to stay out of collisions.

Having been a mechanic all my life has taught me how starters, batteries and other components work. Starters like all other components have a limited life span. The more you use them the quicker they give up. The started drive, solenoid contacts and the flywheel ring gear will only take so many engagements before they quit. The starter and solenoid both use a lot of amperage to start an engine. This makes a lot of heat in both and reduces their lifespan unless they have time between starts to cool.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast