MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lightweight .45/70 boolit choice ?

Boolit Grand Master
    Been playing with a few lighter weight boolits in the 45-70. NOE copy of the 457191 has a large meplat for slapping down the deer and hogs and shoots very well out of my #1 @100yds. I have a 330gr from Arsenal that shoots as well, but smaller meplat and a 300 gr Ranchdog plain base that is about 315gr and also shoots well in my Ruger. I load the same load with all three boolits, the same load JDL posts above, using Unique. Really smacks our 100yd gongs.

Boolit Buddy
    Bob about 12 grains of Unique under a 340 boolit should get you close to 1100, maybe a bit less with your short barrel. I shoot this load in my Sharps and 1886 Browning for gongs out to several hundred yards. Recoil is next to nothing but those rifles weigh about 12# and 10# respectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt H View Post
    Bob about 12 grains of Unique under a 340 boolit should get you close to 1100, maybe a bit less with your short barrel. I shoot this load in my Sharps and 1886 Browning for gongs out to several hundred yards. Recoil is next to nothing but those rifles weigh about 12# and 10# respectively.
    I was planning to start with 12 grains of Unique, my Contender pistol shot that load pretty well. I have some Trailboss and plan to try that too although I don't have much hope for resupply at this point.

Boolit Buddy
    I got the 160 gr lee mold in yesterday but its a .452, so obviously powdercoat that one. I don't know how much you gain from powdercoating, I may need to do it twice.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 S&W Long, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, 10mm, 44 Special 44 Magnum. .223, 7.62x39, 7.62 x 54R, .30-06, 45-70, .32, .36, .44. .45. .50. .54. .58 and .60 round ball and various minies. And .375 heel crimped conical for those .36 conversions . KB6MRP on Discord

Quote Originally Posted by 2TM101 View Post
    I got the 160 gr lee mold in yesterday but its a .452, so obviously powdercoat that one. I don't know how much you gain from powdercoating, I may need to do it twice.
    Like to hear how this bullet works out.

Boolit Master
    BobT,

Have you considered using blackpowder? The Army kept getting complaint about how hard the rifle load recoiled in the carbine so they eventually reduced the powder charge to 55 grains and seated the bullet down on the powder. You could do the same thing with a 300 grain boolit or the Gould boolit (my favorite when I used the small bore -70).

You could even reduce the powder charge more. Me, I prefer penetration to expansion. Heck, you are starting with a 46 caliber boolit. Choose a boolit with a large flat meplat and you never recover them.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    BobT,

Have you considered using blackpowder? The Army kept getting complaint about how hard the rifle load recoiled in the carbine so they eventually reduced the powder charge to 55 grains and seated the bullet down on the powder. You could do the same thing with a 300 grain boolit or the Gould boolit (my favorite when I used the small bore -70).

You could even reduce the powder charge more. Me, I prefer penetration to expansion. Heck, you are starting with a 46 caliber boolit. Choose a boolit with a large flat meplat and you never recover them.

Kevin
    I never really considered black powder, I may eventually try some, likely a duplex load to try to keep the fouling to a minimum. For the time being I'm going to concentrate on smokeless powder, mostly Unique since I have a pretty good supply of it. I did come up with some 300 grain flat point commercial cast boolits the other day also and I'll try them as well as the Lee 340 and the Gould.

The lightest I ever loaded for my .45-70s and 45-60 was the 292 gr lead, mold #457191.

Boolit Master
    If you really want a lightweight boolit, consider the Lyman 457130. The collar button bullet, about 150 grains. Not much heavier than a round ball. Not sure if Lyman still offers it. There was also a Group Buy mold for it.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Grand Master

There is a lot of info here:

https://1895gunner.com/loaddata/table%2045-70.html

Stick with Trapdoor data and the loads will be light. He lists boolit weights down to 250 gr. Oddly he doesn't show the Unique load with is very popular but you can find that here:

https://www.nzha.co.nz/wp-content/up...08/Lyman44.pdf

Page 98 for Trapdoor Springfield load data.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    At the risk of sounding sacrilegious, you might try a round ball. I shoot a few from a .30 cal CF wildcat I put together. .310 diameter, sized to .309", wee bit of SPG lube smeared on the ball. No leading, top velocity 1,400 fps with 18 gr of 3fg. Lower velocity with smokeless powder worked well. 25 yard groups hovered around 3/4-1" for five shots.

https://i.imgur.com/Sftn5LR.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/rZgILkb.jpg

https://www.hornady.com/muzzleloading/round-balls#!/
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dan View Post
    At the risk of sounding sacrilegious, you might try a round ball. I shoot a few from a .30 cal CF wildcat I put together. .310 diameter, sized to .309", wee bit of SPG lube smeared on the ball. No leading, top velocity 1,400 fps with 18 gr of 3fg. Lower velocity with smokeless powder worked well. 25 yard groups hovered around 3/4-1" for five shots.

https://i.imgur.com/Sftn5LR.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/rZgILkb.jpg

https://www.hornady.com/muzzleloading/round-balls#!/
    The round ball is not something I had considered either but I can't see where it would hurt to try it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123