Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: 03A3 in Model 70 stock?

03A3 in Model 70 stock?

I'm buying an 03A3 barreled action in what looks just like a pre-64 Model 70 "Target" or "National Match" model stock. There's an inlet and holes for a handstop, beavertail fore end, extended pistol grip curve, etc.

The wood to metal is a close fit. I tend to assume that some aftermarket stock company knocked off an M70 target stock inletted for an 03A3. Or is it possible the two actions are that close and the builder used an M70 stock?

Incidentally the bbl is a Smith Corona 2-groove, the sight is a Lyman with target turrets. Good single stage trigger of some type. No speed lock but this was once somebody's match rifle. No photos yet, I'm waiting out the Washington state 10-day period that prevents me from acting in the heat of passion with a 70 year old match rifle.

Boolit Grand Master

In the 50s and 60s even into the 70s a lot of guys made a national match rifle from 03s 06s and model 70s . The springfields were usually set into a fajen or bishop stock sights added and then shot till the barrel was gone then a heavy barrel fitted and stock opened up for them. A popular upgrade was a timney or jewel trigger. These were very good shooters and very competitive. The heavy stock with hand stop was a big improvement in position shooting. Some were also fitted with adjustable butt plates and cheek pieces.

Rifles like the one you found are a interesting part of the national match history. At one time they held a lot of the records. The stages of the match were Offhand 200 yds 10 or 20 rds 1 min per round. with 2 sighters, Rapid sitting 200 yds was 10 rounds in 60 or 70 secs with a reload fired 2 times in some matches, 300 yd rapid prone 10 rounds with a reload in 70 seconds again in some matches fired 2 times, last was 600 yd slow prone normally 20 rds 1 min per round 2 sighters. Rapids were loaded with stripper clips. slow fire was single loaded.

Boolit Master
    If the built up area where the cutoff is located has a corresponding built up area on the stock, basically protecting it, then it wouldn't be a Winchester stock, likely a replacement.

Fajen offered a 'marksman' stock that was very similar to popular factory target stocks in the day. Could very well be one of those, especially if the wood to metal fit is close as you mentioned. Fajen and others offered a huge assortment of styles that could be custom ordered by the buyer.

Also Smith-Corona didn't make a 2 groove barrel, only 4 or 6 groove. If it's 2 groove its a Remington.

Would love to see pics when you get it.

Boolit Grand Master

I restocked - sporterized my 1903-A3 Springfield with a nice Frech Walnut 90 % pre-fitted stock blank from the infamous Herter's of Waseca , Minn. circa 1968 .
    Herters sold many styles ...sporter , varmit and target ... in every wood you can imagine . 90% inletted for you to complete & finish . I even bought a stock blank for a Swiss K-11 straight pull rifle , two 303 British Enfields , a model 95 - 7X57 Mauser and model 98 - 8X57 Mauser ... there were very few rifles they didn't make a stock for ... Military or commerical !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"