Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CB Load for .303 Lithgow 1943

Boolit Mold

CB Load for .303 Lithgow 1943

Long time lurker.

I'm looking for a cast boolit load for 165gr Hitek coated pills for a .303 Lithgow.

I'm looking for around 1500fps - 1700fps.

The powders marked in Yellow below are the powders that I have on hand, how close are 'equivalents' and can they be safely interchanged? (i.e Unique to N330?)

Thanks kindly and appreciate any advice.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	46521.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	322170

Boolit Master

Unfortunately, the only cast bullet my Lyman manual lists for the .303 is the 200+ grain 314299, but there are some crossovers with your equivalent powders for that projectile. How "equivalent" they actually are, I couldn't say, but here's my source data:

Unique: Starting 11gr at 1310 fps / Max 14.5 gr at 1549 fps

IMR4198: Starting 21 gr at 1565 / Max 28 gr at 1946 fps

Assuming your AR2207 is a straight swap for 4198. . . Given that your bullet is 35 grains or more lighter, my inclination for your target velocity would be to start the charge a grain or two heavier with 4198 and creep up until you find your happy place.

The same game could be played with the Unique equivalent.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    I have a 177 grain bullet (PC with Smoke's clear) that my 303 (Ishapore) just loves for accuracy. I drive it at just under 1400 fps with 10 grains of W231. That same load with your slightly lighter bullet ought to approach 1500 fps.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Mold
    Thank you Bigslug & Hicks, much appreciate the replies.

I bought the projectiles online, I wished I'd bought heavier ones than I did. Alas I didn't and I have 500 of these 165gr.

I've reloaded many calibres for over 40 years, but light fast burning powders in rifle cases is new territory for me (and is making me very careful).

I only need to reach out to 100 yards to hit steel targets for the match I will be using the rifle in.

Boolit Man
    If you only need to go to 100 yards I would suggest AS-30N,it is the bulkiest powder of theADI powders.10 grains should do the job,between 7 to 12 grains if you want to experiment,AP-70N add 2 grains.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
    If you only need to go to 100 yards I would suggest AS-30N,it is the bulkiest powder of the ADI powders. 10 grains should do the job, between 7-12 grains if you want to experiment, AP-70N add 2 grains.
    THIS, Yes, THIS!!!!
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Mike and thanks Kosh.

No ADI powder is really plentiful down here presently, but I do have a sort of healthy stash of AS30N.

These 165gr pills are coated, but NOT gas checked.

I'll load up some cases with 10 grs of AS30N.

I'm a pistol shooter mainly so I don't load much for rifles. Always bought factory .303 ammo before.

I'm shooting Wild Bunch matches (off shoot to Single Action) and they have side matches BAM (Bolt Action Military) with steel targets out to 100 yards and they don't want holes punched in the steel.

I've bought Lee RGB dies and a collet set as well. Haven't slugged the barrel, but I'd be surprised if it was .312 which is what these pills are.

Once again, thank you kindly for the replies.

With a 180 ish grain boolit in my Lithgow .303, 25 grains if IMR 4198 has done well.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master

Since the range expectation is short you might drop your velocity expectation down to the 1400 +/- range for best accuracy with the plain base bullets. I suggest the VV N330 or W231 as the better choices of the powders you have. I'd start at 7 gr of the W231 and work up. I'd start at 10 gr of the VV N330 and work up.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

I've reloaded many calibres for over 40 years, but light fast burning powders in rifle cases is new territory for me (and is making me very careful).
    always check the load...use a flashlight to make sure you haven't double charged using fast powders
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

I have been loading my SMLE's for a number of years with a CBE 192gn boolit with 28.5gns of 2206 with excellent accuracy. I use PH aperature sights at 100yds

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Mold
    Thanks one and all super appreciate the replies.

Boolit Master

Larry's got a good point about your lack of gas checks. I've gone a little beyond 1700fps successfully without gas checks in the .30 caliber family, but 1600 fps is sort of my quasi-official point of "gas checks might be a good idea". For your 100Y gong-ringing plans, those powder-puff loads will be a hoot.

When your supply of 165's is exhausted, if you can obtain some Lyman (or clone) 314299's, those are about ideal. My NOE clone is blueprinted with a .314" shank and .303" nose which I would guess is about perfect for the groove and bore diameters on a newer (WWII)/tighter/cleaner barreled SMLE. The 316299 version bumps those diameters to .316" and .305" if your rifle is one of the loose ones. There are a number of powders that will get that up to 2000 fps which makes for a decent clone of the pre-WWI MKI through MKVI service load. You'll probably need to raise your later MKVII spitzer-calibrated sights by a couple hundred yard increments past the actual range.

When in doubt ask B.A. Wallace for sourcing stuff in Oz.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

There are two variations of bullets for the 303. CBE make the 192gn boolit which fits the throat for later 303's (post 1908) using MK7 ammunition and a 220gn boolit to fit the throat for the earlier rifles (LE's that used MK6 ammunition (215gn coppro-nickle) with long throating.

PM if you would like some of each to try!

One other thing that I do is to fit an 8mm (32 cal) gas check, powder coat, and pass through an 0.316" sizer die.

Boolit Mold
    Once again.....thank you for the further responses....super appreciated guys.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    always check the load...use a flashlight to make sure you haven't double charged using fast powders
    Bingo!!! Do that everytime. Been doing it for many years.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ass Wallace View Post
    There are two variations of bullets for the 303. CBE make the 192gn boolit which fits the throat for later 303's (post 1908) using MK7 ammunition...

PM if you would like some of each to try!

One other thing that I do is to fit an 8mm (32 cal) gas check, powder coat, and pass through an 0.316" sizer die.
    Thank you for that interesting post.

Among other things, it never occurred to me to try a gas check for .32 caliber and see if that made any difference whatsoever. I also do gas check and powder coat prior to sizing and I'm going to try some sizing fine tuning with NOE's nifty little sizer setup to see if that yields even better grouping ability in my 1950 Long Branch than what I'm getting out of my Accurate mould with current formulas. My rifle's bore pins at .3035" while a .3040" pin hangs very quickly beyond the chambering, so perhaps fiddling with different sizing at the nose or base might make a difference that's worth continuing to do.

Just have to find an unwanted conventional reloading press gathering dust in a local pawn shop first. After purchasing the sizing kit, I discovered that the physical dimensions of my Bonanza Co-Ax press don't permit it to work. Once installed in the die slot of the press, the bullet is entering the sizer at a point where the handle doesn't have enough mechanical advantage to push the bullets through. I've been too cheap so far to shell out for a new reloading press just for this one reloading project, so for now everything gets resized in my Saeco.

I will add picking up a box of 32 caliber gas checks to my project list. But nothing is going to happen anytime soon while it's -40 here and I'm about to go outside for another round of snowblowing and shovelling. Weather like this is why God invented the Eider duck. It will get warmer... but range time testing loads is a long ways away.

I use 11 grains of AP70 with 180 grain plus boolits with no gas check. very accurate at 100
    The Bird of Time has but a little way
    To fly-and Lo! the bird is on the wing

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Driver man View Post
    I use 11 grains of AP70 with 180 grain plus boolits with no gas check. very accurate at 100
    Driver man how much AP70 would you suggest for 165gr boolits?

For any CB load for any rifle, the powder space SHOULD be at least 50% of the case capacity. With small charges and no filler to hold the powder back against the primer, you run the risk of uncontrolled powder detination and at least "ringing the chamber" ruining the rifle.

How do I know? Ruined a nice 30.06 once with a load of 10gn of red dot,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast