Thread: What is this used for?

Boolit Buddy

What is this used for?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Block with dowels.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	322169

The attached picture is something my dad was using 60+ years ago. I remember it from when I was a wee lad, but don't remember what it was used for.

I now have what is left of his reloading gear, and this was in one of the boxes. It appears to be home built, 36 dowels in a piece of 1" plywood.

Does anyone have something similar, and what is it's purpose?

Thanks in advance.

Sort by headstamp?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

From the marks on top of the dowels,
    it looks like he might have been using it as a loading block to seat primers on with a drift/mandrel & hammer.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

My WAG is that cases are placed mouth down over the pegs, maybe so primer pockets can be inspected. Second guess is to act as drying rack for washed black powder cartridge cases.
    "Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil." Doug Patton

Converting lead into gold

Moderator Emeritus

I have a couple of these; we used to call them "porcupines" and after you trimmed and decapped your cases they were dropped onto the dowels. They were then removed, one at a time as needed, to start the reloading process. An added note is that this was used pretty much exclusively in the days of, say, the early single stage -- e.g., Fred Huntington's first RCBS models, old Pacifics, and the like presses. Part of the "safety regiment" of loading was one can visually SEE the case ready for a primer, and then subsequent following steps to produce a round. Back in these days (I've done it ) it was a possible to charge a case with powder, then seat the bullet, to "oops" then notice one forgot to put in a primer.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    Can't say what that particular device was made for, but I am building something similar for spray lubing my cases.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks y'all for the quick responses. He never shot black powder. Nor, for that matter, did he ever tumble or otherwise clean his cases, other than wiping them off. I don't know that tumblers even existed for brass back then, and if the they did, he never had one. I have his old notes, and some read like "loaded 19 rounds of .38 Special". He was not a high volume reloader. He did have a couple of nails that he pounded one end flat then filed the edges and bottom to just fit a primer pocket. One large, one small. He was frugal that way. And they work. I just used the small one to clean the pocket on a .38 Special case.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Primer pocket cleaning nails.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	322171

I just checked, a .38 Special dropped over the top has the mouth of the shell lining up with the black mark at the bottom of each peg, so, yeah, seating primers could be one of it's uses. He had a C press, and eventually a RCBS JR3. I have both. The C is out in the garage, with a couple of screw on shellholders. I know the JR3 has the priming arm, but I'm not sure when he got it. 60 years ago he may have had to do the hammer and mandrel primer seating method.

Boolit Buddy
    Just out of curiosity, what diameter are the dowels, and what calibers did your father reload?

Boolit Master
    My older brother made me something similar for holding my spools of thread when I was tying flies for extra money.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    Part of the "safety regiment" of loading was one can visually SEE the case ready for a primer, and then subsequent following steps to produce a round. Back in these days (I've done it ) it was a possible to charge a case with powder, then seat the bullet, to "oops" then notice one forgot to put in a primer.
    I still do similar, but I use 1-1/2" high or higher wooden blocks with holes drilled in them. 20 to 50 holes. All cases go in the blocks upside down in the beginning. F/L sized and deprimed, then back in the block upside down. Then trimmed if necessary and back upside down, repeat through belling, priming and any other operations until ready to charge with powder. Only time a case is right side up is after powder charging. Then flashlight to check consistent powder charge. Then seat the boolits/bullets.

I've even gone to the extent of upside down cases on the left side of the powder measure, charged right side up cases in a different block on the right side of the powder measure.

Only had one instance of an over-charged case. A 30-06 loaded on a Dillon 550B using SR-4759. Didn't make that mistake again. But did pull down a bunch that had been loaded at the same time.

Didn't like having to hammer open the bolt on a very nice 03-A3.

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    I have a couple of these; we used to call them "porcupines" and after you trimmed and decapped your cases they were dropped onto the dowels. They were then removed, one at a time as needed, to start the reloading process. An added note is that this was used pretty much exclusively in the days of, say, the early single stage -- e.g., Fred Huntington's first RCBS models, old Pacifics, and the like presses. Part of the "safety regiment" of loading was one can visually SEE the case ready for a primer, and then subsequent following steps to produce a round. Back in these days (I've done it ) it was a possible to charge a case with powder, then seat the bullet, to "oops" then notice one forgot to put in a primer.
    Thank you for sharing that tidbit.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Do the same thing but with a loading block with holes when I load my ‘06-.303-.30krag or 6.5x55. Load them on a single stage.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gunther View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what diameter are the dowels, and what calibers did your father reload?
    5/16", though being 60+ years old, some are undersized at .304-.306". I didn't measure more than half a dozen. One was .312", a couple were .310".

I have a picture of my brother, sister and I with that block and boxes of brass. We were all little kids, and the only brass I can identify on the table appears to be .30-06. My sister has the block of wood, and it appears there may be .38 Specials inserted on most of the dowels. It doesn't blow up well, as it's a snapshot from about 1963.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by cpaspr View Post
    5/16", though being 60+ years old, some are undersized at .304-.306". I didn't measure more than half a dozen. One was .312", a couple were .310".

I have a picture of my brother, sister and I with that block and boxes of brass. We were all little kids, and the only brass I can identify on the table appears to be .30-06. My sister has the block of wood, and it appears there may be .38 Specials inserted on most of the dowels. It doesn't blow up well, as it's a snapshot from about 1963.
    My use was for .38 S&W Special for a Model 52 Smith, shooting Bullseye in the early days. I did not mention this in my earlier post, but I'd have wagered the porcupine in question was for .38 S&W Special. At least in my area, there were but "three calibres": .22 lr; .38 S&W Special; and .45ACP. A good plurality of Bullseye shooters went for the .38 S&W Special with its mild mid-range loading (2.x grains of Alliant Bullseye in front of a CCI primer using a 148 grain flush-seated wadcutter). A good many reloaders then, did their loading at, say, the kitchen table, and -- again -- the porcupine was a very efficient and easy way to "tell" at which stage one was in their loading. Now, many spend multi-hour load sessions with progressive presses. (I, for one, do 90% (all save .21 Fireball) on a Dillon 550b!) But, back then, the few progressive units were WAY out of the financial reach of most. (I had an early RCBS and... employed a porcupine ).
    geo

Boolit Master
    For holding powder bushings. Did he load for shotgun? That’s what I use it for.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you all. I think George is probably right. He did shoot NRA expert at some point, and he did have .38 Specials at the time, so in hindsight the Expert rating was probably from shooting Bullseye matches with one of them. I don't know what bullet he was shooting, but I also have a .22 shell brazed onto a bent piece of coat hanger. That scoop holds exactly 3.0 grains of Bullseye powder, and deep in the recesses of my memory I knew that before I even checked it.

Boolit Master
    Good to hear that you found your answer.
    I'm sure I am not alone when I say congratulations to you for having that piece of your father.
    And I am also sure I am not alone in asking for you to post the picture you described!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cpaspr View Post
    That scoop holds exactly 3.0 grains of Bullseye powder,
    Depending on which book ya pick up, it's .5gr. below min. in some of them.
    However:
    With 148gr. DEWCs, that's been a long time favorite load for .38s.
    I use it myself in a S&W Model 52.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    Organize powder bushings was my first thought.

Boolit Master

Could be used with pistol cases to avoid a double charge. With single stage loading, remove a primed case, drop/dump the powder, then immediately seat a bullet. Place the loaded round in the box. No way to get a double charge with low volume pistol powders.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast