Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 7mm Mauser out of an AR-15 ?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 Rem View Post
    I can't take an AR or any semi auto seriously for anything but self-defense. Reason being that I don't want to either lose all my brass or spend tons of time poking around in the grass looking for it. I'm all for the existence of AR's or other rifles based on military guns for self defense but my take on that is to buy 2 or 3 of them, set aside say 10,000 rounds of ammo for it and then go to a true sporting rifle for most shooting or hunting. Losing brass is too big a negative for a reloader in my opinion.
    That is where I am as well.

I have five AR's for if/when the SHTF but have little desire to shoot them much. Even though .223 brass is cheap, why go hunting for it and pick it up after doing all the prep work? Prefer bolt actions and lever actions when shooting off the bench.

Wolf makes a good point about being able to have a bunch of different calibers by swapping uppers for those who like lots of "toys". When I got my first AR, I was going to travel that road. I used to be like that when I was younger but am a minimalist now.

My CF rifle needs are simple. The .223 and .308 cover self-defense close or far (as far as I can shoot anyway) and varmints/game. I have a few .30/30's but they are there in case the idiots ban AR's and I need an effective "combat rifle."

If I miss a 300 yard shot at a varmint due to wind drift, that I would have hit with a 6mm ARC, it is not the end of the world. Plus, I prefer carrying my little Howa mini-Mauser instead of lugging around an 8+ lb AR that makes me look like a mall ninja.

ARs have their place. I am "old school" when it comes to shooting and hunting.
    Don Verna

On the subject of hunting brass... Legit $10

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Wolfdog, good to see you are looking into increasing the performance of your AR platform. Bruce has some great cartridge designs, over 30, to his credit. Many of his designs have been copied and changed a bit, with a rename by the big cartridge makers. The 7mm Val brass is now offered by Star-Line. The 24 Varmit is the 7mm Val necked down and blown out, both based on the 6.8 SPC case. I just finished up a 24 Varmit build with an 18" 1-8 twist SS barrel, interesting concept, and Varmint Magazine did a two year series of tests on the cartridge in the AR platform with a good write up. Was originally the 24 GPC, changed the name to the 24 Varmint as a tribute to Varmint Magazine for taking the time and effort to do a fair test of the cartridge and the chambering in the AR-15 platform. Pictures of my 24 brass in forming stages before the name change. The 24ff is fire formed. Makes for a very versatile 6mm semi auto rifle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0328.jpg  
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Buddy
    Use AR-10 platform and be happy. Build a true 7mm Mauser on that platform and I would be first or second in line to purchase one. I have always loved the 7mm Mauser as it was the cal of the first surplus rifle that I bought. During deer season I reach past more modern rifles to get out my 7mm Mauser Frankenrifle that I built from parts laying around the shop. Can put as many through a ragged hole at 100 yards as you want. Makes DRT hits on deer.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Slugster View Post
    Use AR-10 platform and be happy. Build a true 7mm Mauser on that platform and I would be first or second in line to purchase one. I have always loved the 7mm Mauser as it was the cal of the first surplus rifle that I bought. During deer season I reach past more modern rifles to get out my 7mm Mauser Frankenrifle that I built from parts laying around the shop. Can put as many through a ragged hole at 100 yards as you want. Makes DRT hits on deer.
    AR10 are just extra weight extra parts three different patterns to deal with , extra pain. Not to mention Ive only been able to find two sources for 7mm Mauser brass one of witch is once fired range brass. Though 6.5x57 brass is kinda expensive it's good quality brass and not super hard to find. Not to mention you can form it from 6.5 creed which is everywhere. I Mena you could talk to magowen since they do .7mm barrels and for a extra $60 they will do a custom chambering .
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    Wolfdog, good to see you are looking into increasing the performance of your AR platform. Bruce has some great cartridge designs, over 30, to his credit. Many of his designs have been copied and changed a bit, with a rename by the big cartridge makers. The 7mm Val brass is now offered by Star-Line. The 24 Varmit is the 7mm Val necked down and blown out, both based on the 6.8 SPC case. I just finished up a 24 Varmit build with an 18" 1-8 twist SS barrel, interesting concept, and Varmint Magazine did a two year series of tests on the cartridge in the AR platform with a good write up. Was originally the 24 GPC, changed the name to the 24 Varmint as a tribute to Varmint Magazine for taking the time and effort to do a fair test of the cartridge and the chambering in the AR-15 platform. Pictures of my 24 brass in forming stages before the name change. The 24ff is fire formed. Makes for a very versatile 6mm semi auto rifle.
    Honestly I just find this stuff really cool. I love ofl calibers but I realize if it want for people like Bruce thinking similar back in the day alot of stuff wouldn't be around to day if they just went with " well this already works why change it ?!" I honestly hate the term " if it ain't broke don't fix it " with an amazing passion.
    I can only imagine what people where saying back in the day when we went from 30-40 krag to 30-06 or they necked a 30-06 down to .25-06. It's not the fact something nif broken if it's old it's stuff advances what was cutting edge tech in cartridge design 50years ago just my not be necessary now days.
    I Mena I thought people would find it cool that the newer generations would be revisiting the old cartridges and trying to improve them or do something similar in a modern deal. What's so bad about some kid saying "man id love to play with something similar to a 7mm Mauser or .257 Roberts but I can't find one or can't afford a cutome rifle brass ect, let me get this wild cat based in it that I can use in my AR".Better then just letting it die completely there was actually a big resurgence with 6.5 sweede in my generation after the creedmore cam out . Why ? We liked the creedmore and heard about the sweede being its grand dad so we started playing with those. But I'm ranting now.

Anyhow yeah Bruce has some cool stuff and I'm really wanting to try one of his one day. 24 goc does look cool.
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    I can only imagine what people where saying back in the day when we went from 30-40 krag to 30-06 or they necked a 30-06 down to .25-06. It's not the fact something nif broken if it's old it's stuff advances what was cutting edge tech in cartridge design 50years ago just my not be necessary now days.
    You think that bad just read the comment about the Army's new cartridge the 6.8x51 and the XM7 & XM250. Like you they are trying to maximize perform in a specific magazine size.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 35 Rem View Post
    I can't take an AR or any semi auto seriously for anything but self-defense. Reason being that I don't want to either lose all my brass or spend tons of time poking around in the grass looking for it. I'm all for the existence of AR's or other rifles based on military guns for self defense but my take on that is to buy 2 or 3 of them, set aside say 10,000 rounds of ammo for it and then go to a true sporting rifle for most shooting or hunting. Losing brass is too big a negative for a reloader in my opinion.

One thing I think that drives the enthusiasm for AR's among younger shooters is that they have been raised with computers in their hands since day one. In the computer world 3 years old means obsolete and they tend to bring that same thinking along when they get into guns. If it's old, it HAS to be obsolete, and I can EASILY come up with something that will outperform it they think. Tain't so but the still think it.
    They make brass catchers for the range... hunting I don't worry about losing 2 or 3 pieces of brass... https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Bras...00EB5OU0Q?th=1

My 6.5 Grendel performs as well as a .308... so yes new cartridges can perform as well as old designs in the AR-15! I use it on deer and feral hogs...

Banner Sponsor

I like guns of all shapes and sizes. I've got most everything covered from 22lr to 470NE in rifles and up to a 70cal double barreled pistol in Handguns. Does this mean I'm done and don't want anymore? Nope!
    I just built a 358cal AR15 that beats stock performance of the 35 Remington, 200s at almost 2400 and 180s at 2571. It won't be the best all around hog and deer rifle, but I'm betting it will do alright within 250yds.

Boolit Master
    I have been tempted by the AR platform. My 'defense' gun is a Garand I don't shoot it much anymore. 'Wastes' too much ammo.

If you want 'plug and play' with a bolt rifle and excellent accuracy you can have it. Savage is designed for it. Swap a barrel in about 20min. New bolt head for any size case you want. If you get a long action there isn't much of a limit on what cartridges you can use, unlike the AR limitations. There are Remage barrels for those with 700 pattern actions. Ruger RPR. And you can get a chassis for any of them if you really want the look, or a plastic, laminate or wood stock. Then you have a rifle with the potential of excellent precision, even bench rest or Fclass competitive levels. No gunsmithing required.

Boolit Grand Master

Larry is right. I love my 7x57 and this isn't it. I like and use ARs, too, but the action length just won't let
    you have the powder capacity needed.

Use an AR-10 platform, and you can sort of do it, but the 7x57 is longer than .308. So, use 7-08....which can
    pretty much match 7x57 (and with wimpy loading limits on 7x57 for antique guns) or beat it.

Load 7x57 to modern pressures in modern rifles, great cartridge. I hunted with it in Africa, using 160 Nosler Partition
    bullets at 2750 fps. Didn't shoot anything twice, including kudu. Great cartridge, this thing is interesting
    but something like 7 BR, not 7x57, or not even 7-08.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12