Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: preparing for the cold

Boolit Master

Massive global warming event!!!

MASSIVE GLOBAL WARMING EVENT!!!

Internet Weather site forecast a high today for us of -3 degrees. In this unbelievable Man Made impact; we have reached already this afternoon at 1:00PM - Zero Degrees Fahrenheit!.

Major Man Made Climate Change & Global Warming event in a single day!!.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    I have repaired many hydronic baseboards in many frozen houses.
    Would be more fun if it wasn't such an emergency, screaming housewives, barking dogs...
    The following is general, but one cold night I soldered up four houses just like this.
    If my company ran you out of oil on automatic delivery, this was all free of charge.
    In any case, your carpet is not my problem, unless I set it on fire.

Walk in the front door, heat's off, 40F in the house.
    Fire the old boiler up and a zone will be caught, won't circulate frozen.
    Turn up all the thermostats I want the boiler running showing pressure, whole house heating.
    If I can't run the boiler, game over, plan B.

Infrared thermometer leads me to the furthest bedroom from the woodstove.
    The drapes are over the heater, cold pouring out zeroF.
    If the system has any glycol in it, a hairdryer will warm it enough to flow.
    A 1500W hairdryer is safer than a 1500W heatgun, hairdryer moves more air.
    Walmart hairdryers are cheaper, too. Heatguns set cat hair and carpet fuzz on fire for a bad smell...
    If its water frozen it's split, stop off the zone (got stops?) and pack the wound with towels.
    If you do not have stops on both ends of each loop, this is when you will get them.
    And I have to stop the boiler to do so. Time is money and it's cold out.
    I carried lots of parts, good sale items. Some were purge stops very handy things.
    If you have a circulator, go buy a spare. Boss got a silly price for mine.
    I can usually solder wet pipe without a steam explosion. Just let out the steam.
    Needle nose plier off the fins until you can caliper 7/8"
    Cut out the split; solder in slip coupling and drain coupling, the drain lets out the steam.
    For a small split I might solder in a union but baseboard really won't stretch.
    I might sell some new baseboard, but the stuff is expensive, depends.
    I usually carried an 8' and leftovers, but Boss thought truckstock was like gold.
    Purge air, away we go. Great place to sell some propylene glycol.
    2AM in January is a poor time to service a boiler. Any day in August works better for my sleep habits.

Keep the draperies off the heaters and remember the wood stove fools the thermostat.
    I did my best work after midnight.

Boolit Grand Master

It was 17º here this morning and forecast to drop during the day and start snowing. They were right, iy did. Sticking to the roof, driveway and streets. Thats pretty cold for here but nothing like you Northers folks get.

I got food, water, milk, bread, beer and booze. I have full propane bottles in the garage with a heater if I need them and a natural gas fireplace that can run on a battery if I need it. If I need to go to town the Polaris if gassed up. Bring it on!!!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    cold blast in forecast, they say we might get a blizzard starting tonight and by tomorrow night expect 2 degrees, yeah I know its probably mild winter weather if your from somewhere in the north but here at the edge of the smokies in Tennessee the coldest ive experienced is about 12 degrees.
    I just thank god I have been able to keep my woodshed stocked well and have a generator to keep the water moving to keep the pipes from freezing if power goes out for extended time. in this old civil war house if it goes below about 25 we have to leave the faucets cracked open a bit to keep the water pipes and drains from freezing up. I even plugged in the block heater on the big tractor with loader just in case I have to move some snow.
    BEST wishes. Only advise I might offer is to have a few carboys filled with drinkable water! Assuming you have an electric-powered pump for your water, a power outage means no water. (You may be lucky with gravity-fed city water, but "I've been there" when the power goes at and nothing comes from the faucets; toilets don't flush (more than once), and the like.)
    BEST wishes!
    geo

Boolit Buddy
    Don't forget to check the antifreeze level in your vehicles! Top off as necessary...

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by .429&H110 View Post
    I have repaired many hydronic baseboards in many frozen houses.
    Would be more fun if it wasn't such an emergency, screaming housewives, barking dogs...
    The following is general, but one cold night I soldered up four houses just like this.
    If my company ran you out of oil on automatic delivery, this was all free of charge.
    In any case, your carpet is not my problem, unless I set it on fire.

Walk in the front door, heat's off, 40F in the house.
    Fire the old boiler up and a zone will be caught, won't circulate frozen.
    Turn up all the thermostats I want the boiler running showing pressure, whole house heating.
    If I can't run the boiler, game over, plan B.

Infrared thermometer leads me to the furthest bedroom from the woodstove.
    The drapes are over the heater, cold pouring out zeroF.
    If the system has any glycol in it, a hairdryer will warm it enough to flow.
    A 1500W hairdryer is safer than a 1500W heatgun, hairdryer moves more air.
    Walmart hairdryers are cheaper, too. Heatguns set cat hair and carpet fuzz on fire for a bad smell...
    If its water frozen it's split, stop off the zone (got stops?) and pack the wound with towels.
    If you do not have stops on both ends of each loop, this is when you will get them.
    And I have to stop the boiler to do so. Time is money and it's cold out.
    I carried lots of parts, good sale items. Some were purge stops very handy things.
    If you have a circulator, go buy a spare. Boss got a silly price for mine.
    I can usually solder wet pipe without a steam explosion. Just let out the steam.
    Needle nose plier off the fins until you can caliper 7/8"
    Cut out the split; solder in slip coupling and drain coupling, the drain lets out the steam.
    For a small split I might solder in a union but baseboard really won't stretch.
    I might sell some new baseboard, but the stuff is expensive, depends.
    I usually carried an 8' and leftovers, but Boss thought truckstock was like gold.
    Purge air, away we go. Great place to sell some propylene glycol.
    2AM in January is a poor time to service a boiler. Any day in August works better for my sleep habits.

Keep the draperies off the heaters and remember the wood stove fools the thermostat.
    I did my best work after midnight.
    I use a pellet stove, I have fans blowing cold air to the stove(cold is denser, easier to move!) plus the thermostat is at 78 so the furnace cycles enough to heat upstairs and front of the kitchen.

It's pretty cold here in Tulsa today. The high was around 6 degrees Farenheight. Low will be around 0 tonight. Brrr!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tall View Post
    It's pretty cold here in Tulsa today. The high was around 6 degrees Farenheight. Low will be around 0 tonight. Brrr!
    Tulsa Oklahoma. Reminds me of living on the Panhandle of Texas. Old Timers Saying many years ago was: "Nothing between us and the North Pole except a Barb Wire Fence!"
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    A real yankee drains the copper leaving a way out for steam.
    Sandcloth the split tap the copper smooth with a small ball peen hammer
    a little paste a little 50/50 (it's not a drinking water pipe, and won't have much pressure)
    and press a thumbprint in the solder to sign it.
    That's how I rolled in the 70's.

Boolit Master
    I made a big pot of venison chili - I'm ready for any snow storm that might hit!

5 here this morning power went out just after midnight. Coffee, pancakes, grits, eggs and gravy all fix on top of woodstove. Mighty fine. Power came back on 1:30pm. All my neighbors headed to town for breakfast. I'm the only one in neighborhood with wood stove. Our County has a ban for new homes no wood,pellet or gas stove for heat. Talked to guy building fence for neighbor next said semi hit power pole in his neighborhood 1/2 dozen houses all had their pipes freeze, all had electric heat. Local Government all got no brains. The wife wanted build new house changed her mind when found out new rules!!!!

Zero here in Central NY this morning but at least the wind stopped howling. Can’t believe we didn’t loose power since the wind has been blowing all week. But with the wood stove and the propane Generac we are prepared for anything. I can’t believe how crazy the media gets and whips the public up about good old winter weather.

Yep the the weather folks love to see the people on the street go crazy. This cold snap reminds me of hurricane season and all the nut rolls and monkey flips.. But NW FL does get cold on occasion Only place in Noth FL that gets to -55 is the Climatic Hangar on Eglin, live a wee bit north of Eglin. Supposed to be cool here tonight, about 17, doubt it will get there, was 31 two days ago, so my thong will get stored in the drawer until it gets warmer.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master

Well, -10 F right now. Wish my oil boiler was working.

Boolit Buddy
    Muffler (scarf), mittens, muchlaks and don't fall down!
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Master
    We were at the KC game Saturday night. Wool socks, long underwear, Carhartt bibs, a sweater, 2 hats and a heavy coat. We were fine. We laughed at our frozen mustaches and beer slushies! It was me and my buddy's first NFL game, he being a Dolphins fan and me being a Chiefs man.

Boolit Master

4 degrees when I got up this morning has warmed up to 6 degrees and they say the high will be 19 degrees and I need to go out and clear snow of driveway and sideway what fun it will be. Got to love winter in Idaho
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Grand Master
    News people love to use windchill as it makes things sound worse. To them, bad news sells

Colder than a well diggers butt in a brass bra!
    Or something like that….
    After bacon, eggs, sausage and grits, I’m going to chop ice for the bovines, give them their crack(range cubes) and hurry my frozen self back to the warm house!
    Seven degrees here this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wow where abouts are you located..?? -56 is crazy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast