WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: pachmayr grips Ruger Redhawk

Banned

pachmayr grips Ruger Redhawk

The presentation grip.... I noticed when decocking the hammer you kinda loose grip with stock grips. The pachmayers are wider, and have more depth. Does this prevent loosing grip when manipulating trigger/hammer and have a better grip over all ?

Yes.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by castmiester View Post
    The presentation grip.... I noticed when decocking the hammer you kinda loose grip with stock grips. The pachmayers are wider, and have more depth. Does this prevent loosing grip when manipulating trigger/hammer and have a better grip over all ?
    I had a redhawk (long traded, gone) with Pachmayr recoil grips -- no problems other than, as yours, too wide/big for my hand. Interestingly, I traded for a then must desired by me S&W Model 610, 10mm Auto Revolver which came with similar Pachmayr grips on it. First trip to range I noted it did not always fire -- it was quite random -- with every shot! It turned out the cause was the grip screw was contacting the main spring! I changed grips and all problems ceased! Since, with all grips -- specially Pachmayrs -- I visually ascertain their screw is nowhere's near said revolvers main spring!
    geo

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    I had a redhawk (long traded, gone) with Pachmayr recoil grips -- no problems other than, as yours, too wide/big for my hand. Interestingly, I traded for a then must desired by me S&W Model 610, 10mm Auto Revolver which came with similar Pachmayr grips on it. First trip to range I noted it did not always fire -- it was quite random -- with every shot! It turned out the cause was the grip screw was contacting the main spring! I changed grips and all problems ceased! Since, with all grips -- specially Pachmayrs -- I visually ascertain their screw is nowhere's near said revolvers main spring!
    geo
    Hey thanks for the heads up, appreciate that ! The stock grips are kinda on the slender side, and my index finger touches the trigger guard.

Boolit Master
    My Redhawk came with Pachmayrs, and no original grips/stocks. I tend to carry both thumbs high and on the left side, so I suspect that OE grips/stocks would cause my thumbs significant abrasion with .44 Magnum-class loads from my revolver.
    I could probably shoot 18.5/2400/255 gr. RNFP all day long with any type of grip/stock on the piece. 19.5+/2400/255 RNFP and above would likely require the Pachmayrs or other custom grips/stocks.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Banned
    maybe gloves would do me justice rather than different grips.

Moderator Emeritus

Back in my walking/hunting days I ONLY wore gloves once, and I cut the trigger-finger glove-tip off. The "choice", imho, would be to have gloves thin enough to enable trigger function but do not much else; or, gloves that keep hands warm, provide a better grip, etc. -- but are just toooo fat for trigger function. I'd be thinking (my favourite!!! sport) "HOCKEY". Most decent sporting goods stores (or, on-line) purvey a tape hockey players use for wrapping about their sticks. This tape I've found more than ideal for revolver/pistol grips. Matter of fact, I used some on my S&W Model 52 when I shot Bullseye!
    Look into this tape? A real added benefit is it comes off, too, when YOU want it to -- with no sticky residue.
    geo

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    Back in my walking/hunting days I ONLY wore gloves once, and I cut the trigger-finger glove-tip off. The "choice", imho, would be to have gloves thin enough to enable trigger function but do not much else; or, gloves that keep hands warm, provide a better grip, etc. -- but are just toooo fat for trigger function. I'd be thinking (my favourite!!! sport) "HOCKEY". Most decent sporting goods stores (or, on-line) purvey a tape hockey players use for wrapping about their sticks. This tape I've found more than ideal for revolver/pistol grips. Matter of fact, I used some on my S&W Model 52 when I shot Bullseye!
    Look into this tape? A real added benefit is it comes off, too, when YOU want it to -- with no sticky residue.
    geo
    ...it seems naive, sure not new but, except fast-draw &c., by avoiding completely cutting the trigger-finger glove , instead practicing a half-cut only, it would allow to enjoy the best of both worlds...
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Banned
    Half cut, yes. Unless l can find thin profile fingers with a thick enough padded glove in the palm area.

Moderator Emeritus

...again, I'd try the hockey tape. A range buddy, too, pirated a buffer disc (used for floor maintenance) and cut pieces to apply to his (.45acp auto)grips. Ed touted that ir added the extra sizing with the sand-paper-like texture making it slip-free. Bion, I used bicycle-riding gloves -- these have fingers from centre-knuckle free -- but did not care for them.
    geo
    geo

Banned
    Got houge grips coming tomorrow
    Last edited by castmiester; 01-17-2024 at 07:26 PM.

Boolit Master
    They have been out of production for several years now but every now and then the rubber grips that Uncle Mike's sold for the Redhawk are for sale used on the net.

My RH wears a set and for average large sized man hands they fir me to a tee. I tried the Pachmyers were too narrow for good control.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Banned
    Just got my Nylon Houge grips. Didn't noticed it said on the pack "durable nylon", was expecting rubber. I had to remove the spacer from the stirrup for the retaining screw to reach it. Pretty tight fit too. Nice manipulation decocking it. It has the common drop down part of the grip behind the trigger guard, as of before the gap that would cause the guard to smack your knuckle.