RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shooting round ball in centerfire case

Thanks for posting pics of those neat old molds and tools.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Bazoo, how would a person be able to seat a .323” bullet in a 7.5(.308”) case- and how would you get it to chamber as a “8x55”?
    Your last paragraph has me confused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    In 8mm mauser i use OO buck with a 22 lr case full of tite group. Case is not sized but simply hard thumb seat the shot. 25 yard minute of rabbit with my overly long rabbit rifle 38 turk at 300 m setting. Wouldn't want to hunt very long with this rascal

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Bazoo, how would a person be able to seat a .323” bullet in a 7.5(.308”) case- and how would you get it to chamber as a “8x55”?
    Your last paragraph has me confused.

They have excessive diameter in the neck portion of the chamber. I have a friend that loads for one, so I've read about it some as a result.

Here's a post by the OP even on the subject. https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...89-bullet-size
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

I use 00 buck size down to .310 for the 30 cals of 30-30, 308 win and 30-06 and lube them with Alox,, water down with lighter fluid . Make a good small game load also. They also work good in the 32 cal handgun loads when sized down if needed.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    It was/is not uncommon to size round balls through a push through size to get closer to the size desired. Mostly done with common buckshot, 0 Buck sized to .310 for the 30 cals, 000 for 35's, a way to get bullets without casting, usually inexpensive and lots of bullets in 5lb bag. A coating of lube does help.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    It was/is not uncommon to size round balls through a push through size to get closer to the size desired. Mostly done with common buckshot, 0 Buck sized to .310 for the 30 cals, 000 for 35's, a way to get bullets without casting, usually inexpensive and lots of bullets in 5lb bag. A coating of lube does help.
    All of my round ball loads get the end dipped in LLA... don't take much. and, easy!!!

Thanks, Bazoo.
    I see that it was with an 1889 Schmidt Rubin.
    That explains it; I was thinking of the K31 that I had.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Thanks, Bazoo.
    I see that it was with an 1889 Schmidt Rubin.
    That explains it; I was thinking of the K31 that I had.

I know my buddy has several of the swiss rifles, and at one time had one of each of the varieties. They are an interesting gun and evolution. Kinda wonky feeling to shoot though if you're used to a turnbolt.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Just had to chime in, I was shooting my 32 cal muzzleloader today with #1.5 buckshot, .310". So for grins I tried it in the 30-30 over 1.7 grains of Bullseye since I had been loading 32 Long also. Works great! Point of aim at 25 yards and tiny groups. Game warden might have words with me if I got caught hunting squirrels with a 30-30 though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Game warden might have words with me if I got caught hunting squirrels with a 30-30 though.
    in my jurisdiction, squirrels are protected fur bearers... can't hunt them at all without a trapper's license

BUT the workaround, they are so destructive on the farm, you can dispatch them as pests

I am not sure I'd want to eat one though... they eat mostly spruce/pine seeds. could taste... funny.
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

I just had another thought

awhile back, I was trying to get .312 dia revolver bullets to seat in a 30-30 case

they ALL ended up tipped, bulging one side out, and if they DID seat straighter, they buckled the case a bit so as to not chamber

I ended up pulling the mandrel out of my Lee sizer die and ran the whole shebang up into it, swaging it straight

made it straight, easy to chamber, and look like it should. bullet stayed tight in the case also, no noticeable spring back.

I wonder if one could use an M die style expander to allow the round ball to just drop in, then put a crimp to hold it, or using a LEE sizer to bring the diameter back down just so it can chamber
    you could expand it down just enough so the ball seats just below the equator, then crimp over the top?

might work for plinking?
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

You could probably either thumb press or use a mallet to push a ball into the mouth of a fired case and it would stay. At least that's how it worked with my 30-30. I could re-use the same case with nothing but changing the primer, no other sizing. A ball is a lot easier to line up compared to a bullet.

I use .330 roud balls (tumbled in Lee Alox) for my 8x33 K98k.
    Expanding the mouth of the case and crimp carefull, charge is 4,0 grs Bullseye.
    Works fine for me at range of 50 meters...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nanuk View Post
    in my jurisdiction, squirrels are protected fur bearers... can't hunt them at all without a trapper's license

BUT the workaround, they are so destructive on the farm, you can dispatch them as pests

I am not sure I'd want to eat one though... they eat mostly spruce/pine seeds. could taste... funny.
    You need to try one that's lived on field corn and acorns.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12