WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Shipping primed brass.

Boolit Buddy

Shipping primed brass.

I have about 500 pieces of new primed brass that needs a new home. Local post office says nothing doing as far as help from them. I know that UPS will move it but does anyone know how many hoops I need to jump through to make this happen. Only interested in shipping to the lower 48. Thanks Dave

You have to follow hazmat rules, same as you do with gunpowder, primers, etc.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Grand Master

Shipping primed brass is not a problem. No hazmat issues.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...g-primed-brass

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Can't do it through USPS but no hazmat for FedEx or UPS. These regs are still current. Take the regs to the UPS and talk to the supervisor not the front line idiot you spoke too.

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/thr...e-law.3812580/

Hello everyone -

Since this is my favorite forum, I feel compelled to share with all of you the REAL low-down on the laws and regs surrounding the shipment of primed brass.

After a ton of confusion, misinformation (on other blogs) and general assumptions regarding the shipment of primed brass, here are the particulars/facts and the regs that back it up. I have confirmed all of this with UPS and FedEx's hazmat shipping folks and they all confirmed.

FOR UPS AND FEDEX ONLY -

Cases, primed (up to and including 50 caliber) are regulated for shipment by ground only through 49CFR § 172.102 SP(special provision) 50 that states:
    " Cases, cartridge, empty with primer which are made of metallic or plastic casings and meeting the classification criteria of Division 1.4 are not regulated for domestic transportation"
    49CFR § 172.102 (page 312) - http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-201...sec172-102.pdf

Primed cases meet the classification criteria of Division 1.4c UN0379 - however they are exempted and classified as NON-REGULATED (NOT ORM-D, NOT HAZ-MAT, NOT the new "Y" Limited Quantities classification that will replace ORM-D). Some manufacturers (as per the MSDS) classify their primed cases as UN0055, but the same DOT 1.4c classification applies, as does SP50.

Packaging for primed cases is regulated by 49CFR §173.62 - Packaging instruction #136, which specifies that the primed cases have to be in a bag or box, then packed in a UN 4G standard box - which is defined by 49 CFR §178.601 (g)(2). So - you can't just ship them to your buddy in a shoebox, but most of us out here have received boxes of reloading components from various vendors, and most/all of these shipping boxes meet this criteria. For more mind-bending regulatory details, refer to 178.601.
    49CFR §173.62 - http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-201...-sec173-62.pdf
    49 CFR §178.601 (g)(2) - http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-201...sec178-601.pdf

There is no hazmat fee, extra paperwork, no sign-by-adult or other hoops to jump through - BUT - both UPS and FedEX advised me to clearly mark (with a sharpee) "non-regulated as per SP50" on the outside of the box to ensure that no in-transit problems occur..........because I guess their employees can be as confused as I have been on this subject and you don't want your box torn or ripped into.

As per both UPS and FedEx - You CANNOT take packages with primed cases to your local UPS/FedEx store or mom-and-pop drop off service. They must be taken to a UPS/FedEx corporate-run package hub that has walk-in/retail shipping services.

FOR US POSTAL SERVICE -

Prohibited. Period.
    See page 160 at: http://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/pubs/pub52/pub52.pdf
    ***USPS Publication 52, Appendix A, "Cases, cartridge, empty with primer"***
    They don't have to subscribe to all parts of 49CFR § 172.102's special provisions......because they are special I guess.

I hope this clears it up.

Best regards,
    S
    Shooter2112, Apr 16, 2013
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Wow, I was seriously mistaken.

Thanks for the clarification.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wag View Post
    Wow, I was seriously mistaken.

Thanks for the clarification.

--Wag--
    Primed brass is a rule onto itself.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

It needs an ORM-D sticker on the outside of box. Go to a UPS or FedEx shipping center. Not local private shipping center. Contact one of them for specifics.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    It needs an ORM-D sticker on the outside of box. Go to a UPS or FedEx shipping center. Not local private shipping center. Contact one of them for specifics.
    The ORM-D sticker has been obsolete since 2020. https://news.usps.com/2020/12/22/hazardous-materials/

That really makes no difference with primed brass since primed brass is exempt under Special Provision 50 in §172.102

“Cases, cartridge, empty with primer” (UN0055 or UN0379) that are made of metallic or plastic casings and classified as a Division 1.4 explosive material are excepted from regulation (See Special Provision 50 in §172.102) for domestic transportation only.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-13-2024 at 10:02 PM.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

M-Tecs, thank you for finding out this and sharing it with us all.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Thanks M-Tec for clarifying that. I thought that sticker was canceled but my Google foo was not working well.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Buddy
    Read ALL of the above posts and REALIZE that asking questions here or at the post office or UPS store or wherever is subject to mistaken info. Wrap it up, put it in a box and ship it UPS or FedEx; you pay your money and take your chances...

Isn’t shipping primed brass the same as shipping loaded ammo ?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    Isn’t shipping primed brass the same as shipping loaded ammo ?
    No --- read the regs above.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy

Super easy, I do it regularly. Just print off an ORM-D sticker from google, tape it to the box and do everything else regular. Take it to your local UPS HUB, not store and they'll take your money... a lot of it, and ship it.

Boolit Master

Lots of members in Michigan. Maybe sell it face to face and save some money on shipping.

What is it and what area are you in? Hopefully not up on the Keweenaw.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    Lots of members in Michigan. Maybe sell it face to face and save some money on shipping.

What is it and what area are you in? Hopefully not up on the Keweenaw.
    The moderators will scold you if you attempt to sell anything other that in the selling section. Ask me how I know.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by truckerdave397 View Post
    The moderators will scold you if you attempt to sell anything other that in the selling section. Ask me how I know.
    Oh yeah I know just saying when you do sell maybe make that a option.
    I’ve made face to face deals once or twice. Always nice to meet fellow enthusiast members.