Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mec vs. forester co-ax

Boolit Master

mec vs. forester co-ax

thinking about a new press. the forester has been around a long time, with reviews as maybe the best. the new mec marksman is also getting good reviews that compares it close to the forester as far as making very accurate ammunition. any experience with one or both??

Had the Forester co-ax for years and mostly used it for reloading 257-AI ammo; good press with no complaints making quality ammo. Never used the primer function preffering the old Lee auto prime. The handle stroke seemed long and in my way sometimes. I prefer using my Rockchucker setup that concists of three presses side by side for most all my reloading dies. Recently sold the Forrester for lack of use now. I do think the Forester a very strong and capible press though and if having one press it will do everything. I don't know about the newest offering but if the same as mine you can't loose!

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    For what it's worth, as far as I'm concerned, equipment is only about 30% of the equation when it comes to accurate ammunition. The operator is the other 70%. Years ago I was acquainted with a fellow who won a regional benchrest competition, and loaded all his ammo on a out of the box RCBS Rockchucker press. Admittedly, his dies were costume for the neck diameter he was using, but everything else was otc stuff.

I doubt that any decent quality press and dies will make any better ammunition than another of roughly equal quality. Over the years I have seen some very accurate ammunition loaded using the Lyman tong tool.

I was introduced to the Co-ax press at TSJC when then were first being promoted in the late 60s. One of my fellow students bought one. I was unimpressed. I did not like the long over head handle action and felt if I ever wanted to do things like swage bullets or serious case forming or some such operation, that either I would not be able to, or it would be very awkward.

If all one plans to ever do is just reload cases, than just about any press will work fine, but if one ever decides to do any of the above mentioned operations, it is very difficult to do better than a conventional type press from any of the major manufacturers such as RCBS, Hornady, Lyman, Redding, etc.

Just my two-bits worth.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master
    well, my rockchucker has a little wobble in the unit. allegedly th mec does not. if i were not intersted in the mec; my other choice would be a redding, NOT a hornady or lyman. at this time rcbs is having some products made "offshore" some in china. i will never own anything rcbs again. back to my question : comments on the mec

Boolit Grand Master

I have and use the coax and a rock chucker. I also bought a summit a few years ago.
    I do like them both and both have their strong spots and week spots.
    The coax is interesting is it was one of the first with quick change dies and universal shell holder.
    The slide in dies allow the dies to float to center and square up to the shell holder case body. The die floats in its mounting in and out the shell holder floats left to right. Im not sure how much improvement this makes.
    The top mounted handle is different but depending on what your loading a shorter handle can save on stroke pull length.
    The press is normally very smooth and well aligned. It bolts down well and easily. It does overhang the front of the bench.
    There are some operations that are hard to do on it with the top mounted handle. Pulling bullets, sizing bullets come to mind

The rock Chucker is the "standard" when presses are being discussed. Its a solid heavy press that does almost everything well
    With the newer having the thread bushing a bayonet insert gives quick change die ability. You do need shell holders for cartridges.Normally plenty of leverage for operations.
    The bottom mounted handle works but can be in the way moving around the bench. Again handle length can be changed to personal needs.
    The rock chuckers alignment is what you get with it no float feature in it but pulling bullets sizing bullets are doable easily.
    I started with the rockchucker and added the coax shortly after used. I loaded most my high power and long range match ammo on it. A few ywears ago after many 308,243,223, and wild cats, I overhauled it replacing some pins and adding a wear plate under the shell holder where it was dished out.
    The rockchucker has developed some wear in the ram and linkage but isnt going to be as easy to rebuild.

Both presses have loaded thousands of rounds and are still going strong all said and done I would probably opt for the coax but it is close. Currently the rock chucker is mounted horitontal and set up for sizing and lubung bullets.

Boolit Buddy
    When I first bought someones reloading set up to start reloading myself, came with a Bonanza press which is an old Co-Ax, used it for many years with exellent results, I still have it and use it on occasion, eventually I got me an RCBS chucker and use it a bit more often, I keep certain calibers set for one and others for the second one, don't really prefer one over the other just easier keeping it set up that way.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Boolit Grand Master
    The Co-Ax was my first press. Only added an old RC’er for sizing military cases. Never used the MEC

I like the Co-Ax but I have used it for over 50 years. I may not know any better. We kind of “grew up together”.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

I use my rock chucker mostly. The co-axe idea was to facilitate better bullet seating because the seating dies floats and finds it's own center over the round. Result are more concentric ammo. I think a good Vickerman type die will about match it or better. Or go very slow on the seating stroke and rotate a few times during seating. I know nothing about the Mec.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ascast View Post
    I use my rock chucker mostly. The co-axe idea was to facilitate better bullet seating because the seating dies floats and finds it's own center over the round. Result are more concentric ammo. I think a good Vickerman type die will about match it or better. Or go very slow on the seating stroke and rotate a few times during seating. I know nothing about the Mec.
    My main press is the Redding Boss (the first in the series). For most of my years of handloading I used a RCBS jr and it still is in my use from time to time.

I have never loaded on a Chucker. I do ponder a Co Ax but have not pulled the "trigger" on one.

I have found loaded cocententricity to be largely manageable by the above technique of seating in steps (a series of mini pushes as I refer to them) while rotating the case/bullet as it is being seated, I find that the bullet is more responsive to proper alinement when it is barely entered case neck than when is seated deeper. So I concentrate the stepped seating and rotation early rather than later with each cartridge.

Every once in a while I get a stubborn cartridge with respect to concentricity though and it's likely one with major uneven casing brass thickness issues.

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 01-14-2024 at 01:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Porthos: if you are looking for a new press why not try one of the Buchanan Precision Machine Hand Presses?. They will do anything that any Single Stage Press will do,,, except they can do it anywhere. Totally Portable and fits into a 13x7 Pistol Case.

There is a video on Youtube from Ultimate Reloader where he is sizing .308 "Machine Gun Brass" in one stroke. It takes me 3 strokes to stuff one into a F/L Die on my Bench Mounted Rock Chucker!

You should check it out. I sold the First 50 of these tools in 2 days here I just shipped #397 two days ago. #400 is coming within the next week.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100464191.jpg   IMG_0275.jpg   100464270.JPG   100464176.JPG   100464181.jpg  

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 01-14-2024 at 07:43 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    porthos, I can speak for the MEC MARKSMAN press. Very well built, at least in my opinion, smooth operation, very stout, it’ll resize “ machine gun” brass in one stroke, that’s for sure! I like the primer catcher setup. The ability to position the handle differently is a plus. I bought the stand for it also. Nothing against the Rock Chucker press I’ve been using for the last 35+ years, but I retired it to bottom of the bench, for now. It’s the ONLY single stage press on the bench now. Co-ax press? I tried a friend of mines, mehh, it got the job done. I guess the handle arrangement was foreign to me. I whole heartedly recommend this MEC Marksman press. Good luck to you in whatever way you go.
    Last edited by Budzilla 19; 01-14-2024 at 02:30 PM.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

I have a Mec, as stated above it's wonderful!
    "Hollow Points"-"From Those Who Care Enough To Send The Very Best"

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    thinking about a new press. the forester has been around a long time, with reviews as maybe the best. the new mec marksman is also getting good reviews that compares it close to the forester as far as making very accurate ammunition. any experience with one or both??
    I have BOTH of these, and quite frankly am more than impressed and happy with my MEC Marksman! I am still "blown away" each time I pull the handle it is soooo smooth to operate! I made my purchase as a result of an OCD desire to reduce run-out in loading .221 Remington Fireball. Using a Redding Boss press, this was unacceptable to me; two other presses I have provided similar; and the Forster Co-Ax reduced it greatly -- but I was not satisfied. Using SAME dies (Redding), Lapua brass, etc. -- the MEC provided immeasurable run-out on the very first round I loaded with it! Following rounds did/do show a tad, but -- imho -- none to be significant for firing results at target.
    The Forster is great, and that no shell holders are used seems a great innovation/plus -- but, it is a BIGGER unit than the MEC, and seems to take a much longer arm stroke for each cartridge loaded. (I even purchased their optional short operating handle.)
    If I had to do it all over again, I'd NOT buy the Redding Boss presses (I have two); there'd be a "maybe" re the Co-Ax; but I'd surely have the MEC on my bench!!!!!
    BOTH great presses -- you asked, and these are my thoughts vis the two.
    geo

Budzilla: have you actually Sized .308 "Machine Gun Brass? It's pretty serious stuff. It's not about how stout the press is. A Rock Chucker is plenty stout. It's about the "Mechanical Advantage" built into the tool.
    When I designed mine I drew it up in my CAD Program along with the mechanisms of the Lee Hand Press, my Rock Chucker and several others. It was very easy to see where they were coming up short, and most all of the Bench Mounted tools have similar leverage.

It's all about the distance between the Handle Pivot Points and the Ram. You might say that the Handles on those tools are longer, but Mine has two handles which are working against each other, and two arms pushing against each other are stronger (on most people) than one arm pushing down. That's why Gavin was able to F/L Size .308 Machine Gun Brass in one stroke on my tool.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 01-15-2024 at 01:12 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    thanks george; you have made up my mind!!

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    W.R., yes sir, I have sized 308 machine gun brass. I agree, it’s almighty stout! And, for the record, I wasn’t throwing shade on your press. It’s an awesome piece! I was simply stating a fact, that’s all. No offense intended, if it came across like that, I do apologize.i understand the mechanical advantages of the handle design. RCBS Small base sizing die, super clean brass, and Imperial sizing wax will get the job done. Working on my third thousand round batch now. That Lake City stuff can be tough if fired in a gun with a maximum spec chamber. ( I’ll be glad when it’s all done, I’ll have a lifetime supply of good, useable brass.) Be safe.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

The dies, components and methods used all have more influence on accuracy than what press one uses.

I do like the co-ax but have a number of other presses from other mfg's.

Tell more about this .308 Machine Gun Brass, how does it differ from 7.62x51 Nato military brass?

Boolit Master

I have and had all of them spoken here. (Plus many, many others) I still own and use the RC and reciently added a MEC. I sold the Co-Axe.

I didn't like bumping knuckles and hands using it.

Similar but not as bad with RC. That front post is not aweful but you need to position yourself awkwardly sometimes.

The MEC is very open. Only the handle at times gets in my way. A replacement may fix that. I hold off only because its new to me and I want to be sure before investing more. But I have inline precision handles on the RC and Lyman American 8.

Here is a video I did on the MEC and I REALLY LIKE IT ALLOT!!

https://youtu.be/fTzyD_eRfZM?si=A85D_Bc2Oxn3yp1u

I can see this getting allot more use.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    I have used alot of different presses an still have 5 different brands i use. I really like my Forester for rifle ammo I also likes the looks of the MEC . The way I think now is if you spent a little extra on a press it will be a good investment for ever. One of my best shooting buddies has been loading everything on a Bonaza aka Forester for 50 years an still thinks it is the best. Good luck making a decision.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast