WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Primer pocket cleaner????

I've used mine for lawn mowers, weed eaters, and leaf blowers over the years. Not so much on vehicles anymore.

This experiment with brass will continue once I find some glass beads at some point. I'm not anal about it as my wet tumbling takes care of most of my issues, just was (and still am) curious as the shell holders fit the device.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    I'd think it makes for a more uniformed seating depth for the primers. the carbon is dimensional and since two matters can not occupy the same space, at the same time - it makes a difference. can you make 'em go bang without the effort? Sure. ever get a high primer?
    I mostly use once or twice fired pistol brass where there really isn’t much primer pocket residue, so, no. The only high primers I’ve ever had were caused by the press frame being cracked.

Boolit Master
    I've never left a primer high, but I'm not dead yet. Many headstamps leave the primer seated lower than I like to see.

I wonder how many times I have to reload a case without cleaning the pocket before the crud makes it seat high? And if it finally happens, can't I just clean the primer pocket once and then reload that case for another 30 years?

I would use a garnet media for something like that.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Baking soda was mentioned a couple of times and I plan on trying this.

I'm going to wait until this cold snap breaks.

Slim

With the baking soda, be mindful of it caking with too much moisture. Anti-caking agents such as silicon dioxide(commonly used in food production) or even diatomaceous earth can be added in to minimize clumping .

drill-mounted Sinclair primer pocket uniformer_ large or small on new cases, o.c., but again after any shooting, before tossing any rifle case in the cleaning solution_ (ultrasonic washer, in my case)_
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Grand Master

If you are going thru that much work why not uniform them?
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

o.c.: I do it after any shooting session, because the pocket not only can accumulate crud, but it can also become shallower, so every time with the same step I eliminate residues, if any, and keep the pocket at the same depth_
    Rob

Boolit Grand Master

I believe the glass beads may be to aggressive rounding the edge of the flash hole and a very matte finish stretching the pockets surface. I would try baking soda. Maybe very fine corn cobs.

In the food industry when we had to blast in the production area it was rice. But here rice would plug flash holes badly.

Baking soda is used to blast soft materials like aluminum and fiberglass. The issue will be controlling dust and contaminates same with the glass beads, controlling the contaminated dust will be hard.

What just popped into my mind was a dental water pic.

I uniform my match ammo primer pockets not so much for depth but to get a truly flat square seat for the anvil. This may damage that surface.

Well, I did put some baking soda in my spark plug cleaner bag this evening. Hoping to try it out tomorrow, however, I have no regulator on my air tank so I have no idea what pressure might be ideal for the application. Just playing folks, y'all lighten up and have some fun.

Now to find a waterpix...

Slim

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    ...I uniform my match ammo primer pockets not so much for depth but to get a truly flat square seat for the anvil. This may damage that surface.
    ...fully agree.
    the rest are my fringe benefits_
    Rob

The baking soda did not do as well as I had hoped, however, I could not find (at the moment) a filthy primer pocket to test with. I will look for one when I can. I used a case that was previously washed but had some dark areas that I tried to clean off, which did not happen. The pressure on the tank was at "shut off" pressure, whatever that is, but probably around 80-110 psi. I'll try glass beads if I can find some.

Still playing but somebody try a waterpix, please.

Slim

Just wet clean with pins, brass like new.

Boolit Master
    Sugar sand @50 lb.

Boolit Bub
    I just decap and throw in an ultrasonic cleaner, works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    Interesting idea.
    Yes. Good to know.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    When I first started reloading dirty primer pockets didn't let me properly seat primers. Primers in my Ruger were too high and cylinder wouldn't rotate. Ever since I have cleaned primer pockets. I have used "crickets" both large and small but small flat blade screwdrivers seem to work the best. While cleaning I also inspect the brass. This has worked for me for about 50 years.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by wilecoyote View Post
    o.c.: I do it after any shooting session, because the pocket not only can accumulate crud, but it can also become shallower, so every time with the same step I eliminate residues, if any, and keep the pocket at the same depth_
    I've used the Sinclair tool for decades on all rifle brass every time, chucked in a cordless drill it's simple and quick.

Boolit Master

Yep, the same here PhilC. A Sinclair tool every time. Cleans and uniforms at the same time and using a fixed electric hand drill it is fast. Been doing it this way for over 30 years. james

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast