RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: air cooled ww lead bullets

Boolit Buddy

air cooled ww lead bullets

I've always water dropped my cast bullets, slugs and round balls out of the mold. Just read "wolfdog's" last post and he and several others mention air cooling cast bullets. How are y'all capturing your cast bullets out of the mold to prevent them from being damaged???
    Thanks for the info
    JAMES
    JAMESGR

Boolit Buddy
    Drop them in a 5gallon bucket with cotton towels

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

I use a rumpled up worn out cotton shirt. I don't worry about dropping them on each other from a couple inches above. Don't think it is any worse than tumble lubing or shake and bake powder coating? Mostly casting for pistols now. hc18flyer

Boolit Master

Layers of soft cotton cloth , I use old worn towels with some old shipping mesh cushion underneath , just let them fall out from close not dropped from distance .

My own set up I use the above with a sloped incline for them to roll slowly down to a cushioned catch basin , drop on flat and as they cool roll them down out of way .

Boolit Master
    I drop in a 3 gallon sieve in e 5 gallon bucket of water. No real reason other than convenience.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I've always used a stack of newspaper. About the thickness of the old Sunday editions. The layers tend to separate and hold air between them to some extent and provide more cushioning that you would think. Also it makes for very easy cleanup of small lead chunks that get mixed in with your bullets when you are done. It's very easy to just sweep them up with your hand to dump back in the pot. I chose newspaper since I really started casting in college and there were always piles of the free campus paper laying around.

Try dropping some on each other right out of the mold.
    They cool so fast you kind of have to work at dinging them up.
    Or, drop a few a short distance apart, then when ya get several, push them off to the side.

Back in the old days, everybody air dropped onto a towel or something.
    Then all of a sudden, a fad came along, (before the powder coating fad) and you had to temper them.

So, after you were done with your batch, you had to put a couple into a oven.
    Run the temp up slowly until they 'slumped'. Then back the temp off a little.
    Put all your boolits in the oven for awhile, then dump them into a bucket of water- tempering them.

Some of us just started dropping them out of the mold into a bucket of water to get to the same place.
    For the shooting I do, I don't know if it matters if they're tempered or not.
    I still drop them in the water because it's convienent.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I always short drop n a folded towel or into a bucket of water, which ever tempering I need. -06

Boolit Buddy
    I should clarify. When I say drop them in a 5 gallon bucket. I have a wadded up towel in the bottom and a towel stretched tight across the top. Bucket is elevated on a stool where I drop them 4 to 6 inches at most. When towel on top starts to sag, I dump them onto the towel in the bottom and repeat.

I ALWAYS water dropped everything before I started powdercoating. Now I try to run everything as soft as I can with plain old range scrap. Waterdropping is way easier. Drop out of the mold and done. I get eaxpansion on game with air cooled softer alloy, but I darn sure hate air cooling. Nothing gets Dinged too much btw.

Boolit Master
    I have a plastic tray from an old tote box that is about 12x12 with 2" walls. I simply place an old folded up towel over it and drop into that. Sure, I might get the occasional ding. But realistically, I drop on a clear area of the towel, and scoot the boolits over once they've had a little of a chance to cool down a bit. Creating a mound of bullets on one side, and a open spot for them to fall on the other. This isn't rocket science. And for the record, I've NEVER water dropped my boolits. I have water quenched them after heat treating in an oven, or after powder coating. But ever water quenched straight from the mold. In my experience with 50/50+2% it has never been needed.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Buddy
    I just drop mine in a old wood box. I'm only casting for hand guns and my alloy is around 14 BHN. At one time I dropped them on a damp towel but I'm not seeing the need any more.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the replies, a lot of good info here. I like the idea of the inclined towel and will fix some way to try this. This will be a new experience as I've always dropped into a 5 gal bucket filled with water and towels in the bottom. I though I'd try a softer BHN. I've always used WW lead, but I bought some pure lead from BIGOX and though I'd try different ratio mixtures.
    Thank you,
    James

Boolit Master
    Cardboard box with a cut off folded up leg from a wore out pair of jeans. Not a problem.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

I drop mine on a worn out pair of blue jeans folded up in a beer flat.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JAMESGR View Post
    Thanks for the replies, a lot of good info here. I like the idea of the inclined towel and will fix some way to try this. This will be a new experience as I've always dropped into a 5 gal bucket filled with water and towels in the bottom. I though I'd try a softer BHN. I've always used WW lead, but I bought some pure lead from BIGOX and though I'd try different ratio mixtures.
    Thank you,
    James
    My understanding is that the increase in BHN is lost in fairly short order. I cast for boolits I may load - but not fire for a year. Hence the reason I drop into a water filled sieve. What's incredible is the amount of slag I apparently drop while (of course casting perfectly.......) dropping boolits. I recover the lost lead when I empty the 5 gallon bucket.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    drop mine on a folded towel
    works famously
    the only trouble is getting out of the house with one
    before the wife finds out what you are up to
    Last edited by white eagle; 01-14-2024 at 01:40 PM.
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Buddy
    I’m another one for just dropping from the mold straight to bucket of water. Not really for any other reason than it’s convenient. I have a sifter that I used to use with my tumbler for separating brass from media, that sits in the top of the bucket. Makes recovering bullets from water much easier. Prolly got the idea on this forum years ago.

Two thicknesses of red shop towel. I put a pencil under each edge to try to prevent the boolits from rolling off when the towels get full.

Jim

Boolit Master
    Where I cast, I have two paint roller pans cushioned with a towel. Let's me run two different molds and keep things sorted. Also, the angle of the pans has the bullets roll down to accumulate.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Quote Originally Posted by cabezaverde View Post
    Where I cast, I have two paint roller pans cushioned with a towel. Let's me run two different molds and keep things sorted. Also, the angle of the pans has the bullets roll down to accumulate.
    Now that is clever.

When this subject comes up again, and it will, I'm going to suggest that,,,,,,,,,
    and since I have no shame,,,, I'll tell everybody I thought of it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast