Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uberti 1851 navy vs Uberti 1860 army

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Just curious, how does one document the strength one way or the other? I am only asking. I am not looking to be put in my place ....
    Well Mr. Chill Wills . . . Just kidding . . .

I document it by shooting ammo that can be tolerated by the open-top platform that a particular top strap can't handle. Such as firing 45acp +p ammo in my Uberti '60 with its Kirst conversion cyl that my Pietta '73 Mod.P can't handle.
    The release of the 45acp cylinder for the '60 Army is an excellent setup to explore the possibilities of the open-top platform. That's what I've been doing for the last year and a half. I've always thought the ot was the "better" design ever since I bent my Remington loading/shooting too hard lead balls. Never bent an open-top . . .

Mike

Hey Kevin !!!

Boolit Master
    Never bent the Remy, but, I did used to shoot full cylinders of 3f behind a round ball. Don't remember how many grains that was but it was a lot. Shot really well with that load. So, it was 'strong enough'. But, I suspect a properly made open top would do just as well based on measurements I made of the cylinder arbor a long time ago. The amount of steel holding things together is about equal, as long as the arbor is sufficiently attached to the frame at the rear.

Boolit Master
    It really is not about how the arbor is attached at the frame. The most important part of the equation is how the arbor interacts with the barrel. The arbor must bottom out in the receiving hole or recoil will batter the revolver. 45 Dragoon and others, can explain the details much better than I. The top strap on the Colt came into being at the insistence of the Army.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    I don't think there is any way I can get 60 grs in my Uberti Walker, but it will take 50 with a round ball - and my homemade BP will make about 1200-1250 fps. My top chronograph reading was 1260 but most shots were slightly lower.

I always liked the 1860 Army over any other percussion revolver, but the 1858 Remington is not a bad choice either - although I will agree the Colts just seem to point better.
    Well I got my Walker finally after waiting a week and a half for the USPS to deliver it express priority mail, exactly 183 miles. It is 110 miles to the USPS sorting house in Columbia MO to the sorting house in St Louis MO, and 73 miles to my local post office from the ST Louis Sorting house. Rant over.

The Walker will easily handle 50 gr of 3F with a 200 gr Conical, and 60 gr with a round ball. It is one heck of a side arm. It actually shoots best with a round ball, at 35 yards I was able to put them all in a group of about 3.5 inches. I’m good with that. Haven’t tried the chronograph yet maybe Monday if the weather is decent.
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Mold
    "It really is not about how the arbor is attached at the frame".

To some extent, it is. My Centaure is prone to chainfires. The second time all six fired at once, the arbor became sloppy loose. Even with the wedge tight, when you shake the pistol you can see the barrel wiggling on the frame.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JimCunn View Post
    "It really is not about how the arbor is attached at the frame".

To some extent, it is. My Centaure is prone to chainfires. The second time all six fired at once, the arbor became sloppy loose. Even with the wedge tight, when you shake the pistol you can see the barrel wiggling on the frame.
    Your arbor is poorly attached. You can not blame the design if the builder did not follow the specifications.

If it were mine, I would rebuild it into a first class revolver. Want to sell it?

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12