Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just ordered a Ruger super wrangler!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Just ordered a Ruger super wrangler!

Santa Claus gave me a couple hundred bucks and it’s been burning a hole in my pocket. lol. I had my eye on a Ruger super wrangler before they even came out and hit the market. I remember when I bought my wrangler I wanted adjustable sites and a cylinder that would shoot 22 WMR. I’ve been reading online that some people have been buying them from Cabela’s for $269 which is cheaper than what I’ve seen by the time I order something online and have to pay for an FFL paperwork transfer. I was over on the rimfire central forum and a member messaged me to tell me there were some sitting in a store in Utah Cabela’s. I called my local Cabela’s like I did right after Christmas and they still did not have a listing for them or any in-store. Because my Cabela’s is a distribution center. Told me to call the Utah store and I could buy one on the phone and they would ship it to my store. Told me if I had cold feet, buyers remorse, or something was wrong with it. They would just refund me once I stop in for inspection. Yeah I didn’t know the Utah store had them in stock since November since they had 15% off member Mondays and I could’ve took advantage of it…darn it. It’s still a better price than what I’ve seen. They only had bronze and black. Just debating on either black or silver so I guess black is coming home again and will match my original wrangler. I plan on ordering a scope mount for it so I can put on a red dot. Main reason I wanted it was for long range small game hunting with the 22 WinMag. Hopefully it’s pretty accurate at long range. I always have fun shooting my 22 LR Browning buckmark at 50, 75, and 100 yards with red dots. Anyone buy one of these yet and how do they shoot? Are they accurate longer ranges? I like my regular wrangler for trap line use but after 15 yards it's not minute of small game.

See the regular wranglers have come down to about 200 bucks on sale here and there. I think I paid $269 or $279 for my regular wrangler three years ago that was a Christmas present.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Awesome, I just put a Super Wrangler in layaway jail today. I'm amazed at what a good deal this gun is. Adjustable sights, both cylinders, made in the USA by Ruger, what's not to like? I may even try my hand at reloading .22 Magnum for it!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I'll have to pick your brain on how to reload 22 magnum cuz I toss my cases. It shocks me how cheap they are too. I think I paid the 10 to $20 more for the regular Wrangler if not even more than that. Think I would have liked silver but since I already have a black one and mine still looks like new after hundreds of raccoons and about 100 possum I know the Finish holds up

What's crazy is, my local one man shop gets 259.00 for a super wrangler, and the big box store down the road gets 329.00. Which, is still a very reasonable price for that gun, but 259.00 is an incredible bargain!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

How I wish that they would offer the Super Wrangler in .32 H&R!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And a hornet!

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    What's crazy is, my local one man shop gets 259.00 for a super wrangler, and the big box store down the road gets 329.00. Which, is still a very reasonable price for that gun, but 259.00 is an incredible bargain!

Cabelas $269, Scheels $279, Theisen’s farm and auto $329. Prices are all over the board. I’ve seen on line prices as low as $248 bur even with free shipping it’s $40 for FFL paperwork form all the LGS. They all have told me they have to make a profit somehow and I can’t blame them. I won’t order guns online anymore either. The last four in a row with low ball great prices all came scratched and banged up like they were used or floor models that more handling than a $2 lady of the night.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    How I wish that they would offer the Super Wrangler in .32 H&R!

I'll take three in .38 Special. Even as a five shot, even if not +P.

Boolit Buddy
    Checked one out yesterday in a local shop, it looked very nice. I didn't know I needed one. It was #289 there, I'm seeing them for $229 online.

I'm also very happy to see that Winchester now makes the 45 grain Dynapoint .22 magnum ammo again. I'll be interested to chrono them side by side with Aguila Interceptor 40 grain .22 LR. The Single Six I had loved Dynapoints. I wonder how well the various .22 magnum defense rounds would work out of the Super Wrangler? When I'm out in the woods I always carry at least a handgun that will be reasonably effective at close distance on four and two legged threats.

.22 magnum is a roll of the dice out of a handgun barrel, many loads merely approximate .22 LR or just a bit more. The self defense loads in this article were just barely faster than Aguila Interceptor 40 grain fired from my little Ruger LCP II.

https://www.ammoforsale.com/ammo-clu...l-22-mag-ammo/

According to this article, the 40 grain JSP from either Fiocchi or CCI would be a solid choice. In a bullet this small I'll take penetration over expansion any day.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/poc...results/#22Mag
    Last edited by FergusonTO35; 01-18-2024 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by badwolf View Post
    Checked one out yesterday in a local shop, it looked very nice. I didn't know I needed one. It was #289 there, I'm seeing them for $229 online.
    Yep, I saw them that cheap on line to. The issue here is it’s $40 to $45 for the FFL paperwork at all the LGS. So the same price as Cabela's by the time I have to jump through hoops mailing and faxing paperwork. Then if it shows up scratched, dinged, or damaged I’m stuck with it. That’s happened before to me. At least at Cabela’s they told me I can inspect it before I do paperwork and if I don’t like it I don’t have to take it and they refund my account. We also pay another $10 governor pistol tax in our state. My pistol came in on Monday. I just haven’t had a chance to make the 2 Hour drive back-and-forth to get it along with the couple hour wait after the paperwork by itself, I’m sure.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-18-2024 at 12:16 PM.

After enjoying my .38 Specials today, I'm more convinced I want a Super Wrangler so chambered. I don't shoot .357 out of handguns and so don't want the bulk or expense of a Blackhawk.

Boolit Master
    The super wrangler is just a ceracoated single six, doesnt require all the hand polishing to blue etc.

Hopefully I’ll get there in the next couple of days and get it picked up. I’ll post a picture when I do. I have some family stuff going on which is preventing me from getting down there and picking it up.

Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    The super wrangler is just a ceracoated single six, doesnt require all the hand polishing to blue etc.
    Which is just fine with me. For a gun I'm actually going to use, I'll take durability any day.

Guess what? I finally picked up today!!!

It’s pretty sharp! There are some casting marks just like my other one but what do you expect for $269 dollars. Some thst could have been filed off and a few little craters like my other wrangler. It’s basically on the trigger guard and on the bottom of the butt plate just like on my other wrangler but a lot more noticeable. The steel receiver could’ve been sanded down a lot better too before they coated it. It weighs a lot more than my regular wrangler that’s for sure. Like pretty good quality other than it’s got a few cosmetic blemishes, which I expected to see for its price point, and from the original round of Ruger wranglers that people were showing, casting marks from the generation one. Looks like it’s gonna be a fun one! Swap the grips from my original wrangler, which I put Rosewood on. Rips that came with it. Don’t even come close to being flush with the frame. Hopefully the Rosewood grips will be a little bit bigger. I know I’m always picky and expect a $250 pistol to be the quality of a $3000 pistol. lol. I’m excited to play with the 22 mag cylinder and throw a red dot on it.

As cheap as they are, I wouldn’t mind buying another one and experimenting, stripping all the coating off and trying to polish it and then clear over the top. Either that or do a distressed finish on it to make it look like an old worn cowboy pistol. All I can say is for $269 It’s a lot of pistol for the $$$ in my opinion.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-26-2024 at 10:05 PM.

That looks pretty good!
    I’m surprised that both cylinders are unfluted, though. Single Sixes .22 LR cylinder is fluted, the Magnum cylinder is not.
    Despite popular opinion, the Wrangler’s grips are just a titch longer top to bottom than Blackhawk/Single Six grips.
    I’m a Wrangler fan,I have two.
    Now I want a Super Wrangler!

I knew you'd be all over this one! LOL...I remember your post on the original Wrangler and had to get one for my trap line. I bet I've shot over. Trap line over 200 raccoons and over 100 possum with it along with a couple of close range rabbits with my wrangler. It still looks like brand new yet. The finish has held up awesome. The crazy part is the Wranglers have dropped to $209 as soon as this one came out. I paid $269 for it which is what I think I paid for the Wrangler 3 years ago...if not $20 more.

I just remember, I sold all my red dots off! The little prism style ones with the windows anyways. I do still have a deltapoint pro set aside for my Glock 20 but don’t want to use it for this project. I remembered I have a Holosun 403 green dot laying around I took off my turkey shotgun. I have it stored away and I haven’t been over there to dig around for it…but I know it’s there. I’m positive it comes with low profile mount as well. Started shopping around for optics mounts. They seem like they’re 50 bucks to 100 depending on which one I want. I bought this old Tasco on eBay this morning for $15 made for the single six. Didn’t come with screws so I’m sure I’ll at the hardware store looking for some to mount it. It looks like it has one cross slot for micro optics. I remembered the vortex I sold came with a single universal mount and also my 403GR did as well. I like the round style tube enclosed dots better than the reflex style for some reason so I am Sure the 403GR will be right at home on it.

Sounds like the all Ruger revolver rear sight configurations are the same so I’m sure it will fit? When I started googling gp100 and Blackhawk optic mounts it had Ruger single six listed cases the same fitment. The two I’ve seen with reflex style sites on said the used gp100/black hawk mounts. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-27-2024 at 01:49 PM.

Well, good thing I went on Midway USA even though I’ve had super horrible bad experiences with them. I remembered I ordered my Rosewood grips from them for the regular wrangler and I got my birthday pricing one time purchase, so I figured it was cheap enough. I’d roll the dice. If I remember right, the grips ordered were shipped loose in an unpadded envelope and scratched up. They replaced them with a set wrapped in bubble wrap the second time around and in a padded envelope for the second time. The second set came undamaged. Oh well I’ll roll the dice again for a $23 purchase. it only cost five dollars for shipping too so I couldn’t beat it since the next cheapest option was Ruger for 38 bucks +8 to ship. Saves robbing the grips from my regular wrangler and trying to figure out what I was gonna put on it. If Midway would just get their shipping department straightened out, life would be good because their prices are always good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast