RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Long Gong?

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Elevation is not the challenge. Wind is the challenge.
    Yes! I used to shoot out to 300 yds occasionally but only on dead calm evenings. I didn't have my rifle set up exclusively for this purpose so figuring out the hold over was always a challenge. I shot Federal blue box 40 grain from a Savage BTV at a 6" steel plate.

Once I remembered the hold over it wasn't particularly difficult. But variable wind would be a completely different experience.

My hold over was probably more like 30".

Boolit Master
    Exactly who amoung us hasn't shot a 22 across a pond to hit the far bank? That's been a thing since I wore short pants. At distances far in excess of 300 yards.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Exactly who amoung us hasn't shot a 22 across a pond to hit the far bank? That's been a thing since I wore short pants. At distances far in excess of 300 yards.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Used to shoot across a tiny canyon at steel a water tank just to hear it "bong".
    When democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote.

Boolit Master
    I've won some big matches with an Anschutz model 1917. Has a 20 minute base and Burris Signature rings setup for another 20. With the Vortex 6-24 target scope with 60 minutes of elevation adjustment, there are only 4 minutes left on the top end at 300. Eley Match seems to work well too.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Master

One took a shot at a duck on the lake. I was on a hill about 100 feet above the lake and about 2-3 hundred yards from the shoreline. Was much further to the duck, don't remember elevation guess. The bullet first hit the water at about 500 yards out, then skipped about 9-10 times. Last splash was at least 200 yards from the far shore. At the time there were no boats in sight and there were no houses within a hundred yards of the far shoreline. That was about 60 years ago and I have not anything like that since.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

After shooting a Prairie dog town for a while the closer dogs will go down in their holes. The only dogs out will be 500 to 600 yds out. Instead of burning up the bbl's on my larger 6 mm's and 257's I would get out my 22 Hornet loaded with 33 gr bullets (horrible BC) and send them in like mortar rounds. Using reference points as aiming points such as; Yucca plants, cow pies, rock, what ever. Then correct for wind, you would be surprised how close you can get. Alot of time they would run over and sniff where to bullet struck. Keeping the same reference you could usually get them in the next few shots after they sniffed where the previous bullet landed.

Boolit Master
    Interesting responses. I don't currently have a .22 suitable for a scope. I'm going to look around for what's available. I've seen used Anschutz rifles come up occasionally.

Boolit Master
    I won the 300 yard Stage at Lodi-paper match- last August with my BSA Martini MKII/ Unertl 2"-20X Programmer
    and SKLRM ammo. Second overall on X count under a friend shooting his High End Anschutz
    beltfed/arnie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12