WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Description of Reloader 7 rifle powder

Boolit Master

Description of Reloader 7 rifle powder

I never used or saw this powder. Yup, I am from the backwoods. My question is what does it look like? I have found info on the powder but none describing its appearence. Is it ball, flake, granular, I would like to know. Thank you
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Buddy
    Here's Reloder 7
    https://www.ilrc.ucf.edu/powders/sam...hp?powder_id=7

Main page
    https://www.ilrc.ucf.edu/powders/search.php

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jreidthompson1; 01-10-2024 at 09:52 AM.

Boolit Master
    Note; The Old Reloader7 had Red Flecks in it....New??? IDK

Boolit Buddy
    I've only had two jugs of Reloader7. I bought the first in 1987 and second about 2012. The powder in both of them was dark gray, not gold, as shown at the first link above. I just had a thorough eye exam yesterday and my color vision is excellent. (Perhaps the current product is gold colored.)

I have used this powder in my .222 with very good results. Lots of dead woodchucks.

Boolit Master
    Thanks so much this answers most of my question. I have a friend drop off some powder from his late father. It is flakes with some red particles in it. The flakes look kinda like Imr 700x.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Buddy

Nice charts on the various Alliant propellants. I have been using Reloader No.7 since it was introduced in the late 1980's. My guns are much older than I am. 45-70 and 50-70 Springfield Trapdoors as well as original Sharps 50-70's have always kept me reloading and shooting my cast boolits. Shooting an original 50-70 Sharps I have noticed how much protrusion occurs of the primer and extraction of fired cased. Now this is just my observations. The greater the chamber pressure the greater the fired primer obturates into the large firing pin hole in the Sharps breech block. The force required to open the sliding breech block increases as the chamber pressure increases. I always observe the fired primer. Black powder pushes the primers into the firing pin hole also but not as much as when loading smokeless/ cast lead boolits. Have tried many, many smokeless propellants: IMR 4227, 4198, SR4759, 2400, WIN 680, 5744, Unique, & Reloader No. 7 Out of all of them, the comparable velocities achieved using Reloader No.7 resulted in lower lever/opening force required to open the breech block of my Sharps rifles. Newer Shiloh Sharps 1874 cannot be used as their breech blocks have a small firing pin and breech block hole. My heavy hunting loads for bustin' Bambi that resulted in fine accuracy and low pressure was with Reloader No.7 It is my favorite go-to propellant.

Boolit Master

I keep a couple of lbs of Rx7 for a wide variety of calibers from 300blk/277wlv to larger rifles.
    Very versatile & cleaner too, kinda pricy nowadays though
    Last edited by Sig556r; 01-10-2024 at 02:45 PM.
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Master
    I have a pound that I intend to work up in 7.62x39, in which it seems to work just fine. Two friends who shoot .45-70 absolutely swear by it for loads of all power levels. Since I still have not opened the bottle I bought, I can't comment on the propellant's appearance. Sorry.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    Note; The Old Reloader7 had Red Flecks in it....New??? IDK
    I don't remember any RED FLAKES in mine when I used it. Sounds like someone put Red Dot in a Reloader 7 bottle. Haven't used it in years.

ACC

nekshot, My, recently made and consumed, can of RE-7 had dark gray powder sans any colorants other than the powder itself. Moreover, I would describe it as a short cut extruded powder, something like broken mechanical pencil leads in appearance.

Boolit Master
    I relooked at this powder and it looks as you said short broken pieces of pencil lead. The flecks of red are very remote but occasionally you see one. I wander what I was looking at last that I could have sworn was flakes!!!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nekshot View Post
    Thanks so much this answers most of my question. I have a friend drop off some powder from his late father. It is flakes with some red particles in it. The flakes look kinda like Imr 700x.
    Very Most Probably Early Reloader 7
    I like it Bunches in my 35 Remington!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ACC View Post
    I don't remember any RED FLAKES in mine when I used it. Sounds like someone put Red Dot in a Reloader 7 bottle. Haven't used it in years.

ACC
    Nope....Been that way since Hercules...newer than 2010 or so??? I Do Not have any!!!

Boolit Master
    I use it in 32-20 and 44-40 - a favorite in both.

Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    Very Most Probably Early Reloader 7
    I like it Bunches in my 35 Remington!!
    My old Dad used it in his (now my) .35 Rem. Marlin 336.

Back when the .222 Remington was still the hot ticket for benchrest, RL-7 was the go-to powder.

There's a poster here who uses it to good effect in the tiny .35 Stevens.
    Cognitive Dissident

Moderator Emeritus

Alliant reloder 7 doesn't have markers.
    Hercules reloder 7 has brown markers...that probably look somewhat red to old eyes.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Hercules RL-7, is this Hercules reloder 7?
    Two versions, one appears to have red and green, one just red.

https://www.ilrc.ucf.edu/powders/sea...splay_image=20

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

been using it for decades [ both Hercules + Alliant ] + never had any with colored dots - personally i would err on side of caution + not use it for anything but fertilizer -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
    been using it for decades [ both Hercules + Alliant ] + never had any with colored dots - personally i would err on side of caution + not use it for anything but fertilizer -
    Great...send it to me please...I am more than confident!!
    BTW Just double checked...what little I have left, definitely has Red Flecks in it!!!

In the 1970s, Hercules Reloader 7, 11, and 21 were double based powders with colored bits mixed in with the grey- black bits. They came in a square metal can with a pop off lid.
    Re 7 was the only one reintroduced in later years.
    At least that’s how I remember it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just checked 2 sealed cardboard 1 lb. containers by Hercules + 1 sealed 1 lb. plastic container of Alliant RL7 - none had any colored taggants at all - jmho imagine the severe legal jeopardy the manufacturer would face if someone loaded red dot pistol powder into any rifle cartridges using RL7 specs -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast