Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: Who is still cutting one-off molds?

Boolit Master

Who is still cutting one-off molds?

So, I have been looking to have a one off mold cut for a while now. I have attempted to contact the usual players: MP, NOE, and Arsenal. I couldn't even get a response by email from any of them (been over a month at this point). NOE does still have the Custom One-Off 4cavity mold option under specialty molds, but nowhere to upload a technical drawing or specify a stocked mold design. I'm aware of Accurate, but he has a capability limitation which is a bit of a pain in my design. Though this may ultimately be my only option...

With all of the usual names basically stopping further Group Buys after the pandemic started, and basically ceasing custom work, who besides Accurate is still in the custom mold design business? It almost seems like we're back to where we were in the late 2000s when you could buy the stock options, and that was basically it....or risk it with Lee customs...
    Last edited by jdgabbard; 01-10-2024 at 12:05 AM. Reason: adding context
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Grand Master

https://brooksmoulds.com/

I haven't dealt with them but turbo1889 who used to post here had some moulds made and said good things about them.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    https://brooksmoulds.com/

I haven't dealt with them but turbo1889 who used to post here had some moulds made and said good things about them.

Longbow
    I’ve seen that one before I think. Looks like they mostly do single cavity black powder designs. Still useful though. Thanks for sharing.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Today, regardless, it is hit or miss, even the folks offering special order or custom, may not be around by tomorrow.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

My first choice is http://accuratemolds.com/. Tom is fast and makes fabulous molds. You don't say what limitations prevent you from ordering your four or five cavity mold from Accurate. If it is hollow-point pins, there is another company that will modify the Accurate mold to make hollow point bullets.

I won't hesitate to order my next mold from Tom at http://accuratemolds.com/. He is that good.

Boolit Master
    + 1 for Tom @ Accurate. He has always done a great job for me and he is willing to discuss your design needs.

Boolit Grand Master

You might try Old West Moulds in colorodo.

Boolit Master

Tom at Accurate can only cut down to a diameter of .278 - Perhaps that is the constraint of the OP - I wish Accurate could do mold for my .257 & .225 needs. I would like to find someone who could do a one off .260 (or their abouts) mold. Maybe Brooks ? ?
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    My first choice is http://accuratemolds.com/. Tom is fast and makes fabulous molds. You don't say what limitations prevent you from ordering your four or five cavity mold from Accurate. If it is hollow-point pins, there is another company that will modify the Accurate mold to make hollow point bullets.

I won't hesitate to order my next mold from Tom at http://accuratemolds.com/. He is that good.
    The .278" body width, and .180" nose width are definitely concerns for smaller bullet designs. My issue has to do with his shoulder angle requirement, all shoulders must have a 55 degree angle, i.e. no right angle shoulders such as front bands, rear bands at gas check shanks and whatnot. This isn't so much of a "prevents me from ordering from him" as it is a issue with design requirements of a short bullet, and the need to maintain bearing surface - the shoulder angles reduce this a fair amount on this short design. It's still doable, but would be nice if the limitation didn't exist. That said, the purpose behind the thread is to find the other guys out there doing this type of work. Tom may decide next month he doesn't want to do this anymore. Or could fall victim to a fire, such as Veral Smith did. Unfortunately there are no guarantees in life...

But as said above, the .278" body with is a major constraint for anyone looking at calibers under 30cal. I have heard a lot of good things about Tom. I think I heard at one point he bought up a bunch of the equipment that Dan from Mountain Molds had - though I could be wrong about that....it's what I've got in my head anyways. Which, to be honest with you Dan did GREAT work, and I'm sad he is no longer in the business. From what I understand Tom's work is just as good. I've also heard good things about Jared over at Arsenal, I just can't get a response from the guy.