Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: 404 jeffery gas checks

Boolit Mold

404 jeffery gas checks

Happy New year from Australia.
    I am in the process of building a couple of 404 Jeffery rifles, have the reamer, action etc. Bought a bullet mold from another shooter which also came with a sizing die. This mold is a gas check design and for the life of me I haven't been able to find any one who does gas checks in .423, there is a sample bullet with the mold and it has one fitted. any ideas guys?
    Cheers
    Roger

Boolit Master
    There's a sticky at the top of this forum that shows gas check shank sizes in various calibers. Measure your gas check shank. Maybe a 44 magnum check will fit.

Boolit Grand Master

Not sure what is commercially available but you may have to get a gas check maker made.

I have made a couple to Ed Smith's design which is a single stroke check maker and quite easy to make if you have a lathe.

The IDZ design is also a good one and the design is posted on this site.

Not sure whta it would cost to have a machinist make a check maker.

If you don't want to make your own gas checks then I have no idea if 0.423" are available commercially. Did you ask the mould maker where that gas check came from?

CBE makes a 0.423" mould with GC shank so they may be able to advise:

https://www.castbulletengineering.co...1015-423-370gc

It appears that .44 gas checks are a bit large but may swage down during sizing.

Longbow

Boolit Mold
    I have made a gas check die in the past when I couldn't get any .50 checks. I was just going to be a bit lazy and buy them this time. I think from memory the mold is a NEI, so I may as well start there. CBE don't list a check in that size, they sell Gator checks. The company has been sold just lately, new owner is way behind. Previous owner was really good, I have about 12 of his molds, Haven't talked to the new bloke yet.
    Thankyou

Boolit Grand Master

If you plan to make a check maker I can vouch for the Ed Smith design. I chose that one because it is suitable for use with a mallet or arbor press and I am forming checks from thick aluminum (0.019") so didn't want to overstress my press. The Ed Smith design can slo be used in a reloading press. I have a PDF of both the two stroke and one stroke Ed Smith designs. It should be available online too.

The IDZ check maker plans are on this site.

Both are pretty simple to make.

.44 gas checks may work as they are not a lot oversize but annealing would likely be a good idea. Someone may know if they will swage down evenly or not.

Longbow

Your GC shank is bound to be made for 44 cal GCs.
    .006" difference is easily sized with that thin copper. 458 GCs are standard for .451 pistol boolits.