WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9mm "undersized die, WTH

Boolit Buddy

9mm "undersized die, WTH

I am assisting a friend who inherited all his dad's reloading stuff. No dies are carbide. In searching for new and used stuff on various sites, I came across this 9mm undersized unit. It's carbide, but claims to undersize the case to insure reliable stripping from mags.I could see squeezing the base down a bit, but why the case mouth, it's already to the point one squeezes down cast boolits a bit more than we'd like to see. Is this the way to go now? Just as well get it for him if that is the prevailing wisdom.

Boolit Buddy
    Mayhaps it is to remove "case bulge" at the base of the case, or possibly it would be considered to a type of "small base" die for autoloaders? I have no idea why why one would need to size the case mouth smaller unless you had a very tight chamber and barrel. Good luck with your new reloading friend.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Could be for ammunition used in a blow back carbine?

ACC

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ACC View Post
    Could be for ammunition used in a blow back carbine?

ACC
    Aren't all pistols blowback? Asking for a friend of course. Carbine, pistol, potayto, potawto
    Last edited by la5676; 01-05-2024 at 02:14 PM.

Boolit Master
    I got one of these dies in a deal, no idea what it would be used for. Making a die with the carbide ring set lower to size closer to the base might be useful, but I’m not so sure that these aren’t just regular sizing dies that failed inspection and got stamped “U” and I can’t think of a use for them.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    I got one of these dies in a deal, no idea what it would be used for. Making a die with the carbide ring set lower to size closer to the base might be useful, but I’m not so sure that these aren’t just regular sizing dies that failed inspection and got stamped “U” and I can’t think of a use for them.
    My original thoughts too

Boolit Master
    EGW marketed an undersized die in both 40 S&W, and 9mm. They were specially made by Lee, expressly for EGW.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gbertolet View Post
    egw marketed an undersized die in both 40 s&w, and 9mm. They were specially made by lee, expressly for egw.
    egw

???????

OK, I found EGW gun parts, but they don't really state the reason for he undersize die.

Boolit Master
    Here is what EGW says:
    “EGW offers custom designed, carbide sizing dies that are 0.003" smaller in diameter than typical dies.
    Not only is it smaller in diameter, but the bottom corner is also radiused which sizes the case further down.
    This helps prevent feed failures from cases that bulged near the base during reloading- which is typical of brass fired in loose chambered guns.”

Quote Originally Posted by la5676 View Post
    Aren't all pistols blowback? Asking for a friend of course. Carbine, pistol, potayto, potawto
    No. Most 9mm and up pistols are delayed recoil from a locked breech.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recoil_operation

Blowback are not locked and rely on the mass of the bolt and buffer or slide and spring to slow action/bolt speed.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowback_(firearms)

How it applies is that the brass can be moving rearward in a blowback operated gun as the powder is still igniting leading to brass being bulged due to being outside the chamber--no chamber support.

Here are a few from my AR9. It does this to ~1/20. I need to check to see if I'm getting bullet setback vs needing more buffer weight.

Last edited by steve urquell; 01-05-2024 at 07:02 PM.
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Boolit Grand Master

I am assisting a friend who inherited all his dad's reloading stuff. No dies are carbide. In searching for new and used stuff on various sites, I came across this 9mm undersized unit. It's carbide, but claims to undersize the case to insure reliable stripping from mags.I could see squeezing the base down a bit, but why the case mouth, it's already to the point one squeezes down cast boolits a bit more than we'd like to see. Is this the way to go now? Just as well get it for him if that is the prevailing wisdom.
    It is NOT for cast boolits but rather for the undersized J-word projectiles ...
    Actually any 9mm boolit , cast -plated or whatever that is .355" or .356" diameter , could probably use a undersized sizer .
    I size my cast boolits .357" to get them to work in my regular steel dies ...
    .355" and .356" projectiles just fall into my resized 9mm necks .
    If you cast and coat your boolits ... you don't need a undersized sizer ...you need a good neck/case expander to get the coated boolits in the case undamaged .

My advice ...buy the undersized sizer only if loading .355"-.356" projectiles and your regular sizer wont size the case down enough to hold the boolit firmly .
    Neck tension is important to have and boolit/bullet size will indicate what die is necessary .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    It is NOT for cast boolits but rather for the undersized J-word projectiles ...
    Actually any 9mm boolit , cast -plated or whatever that is .355" or .356" diameter , could probably use a undersized sizer .
    I size my cast boolits .357" to get them to work in my regular steel dies ...
    .355" and .356" projectiles just fall into my resized 9mm necks .
    If you cast and coat your boolits ... you don't need a undersized sizer ...you need a good neck/case expander to get the coated boolits in the case undamaged .

My advice ...buy the undersized sizer only if loading .355"-.356" projectiles and your regular sizer wont size the case down enough to hold the boolit firmly .
    Neck tension is important to have and boolit/bullet size will indicate what die is necessary .
    Gary
    That was exactly the reasoning I was wanting to hear. I cast, coat, and size most everything to .358, and encouraging him to also. I have sold all my lube sizers anyway.

Thanks

Boolit Master
    I’ve been handloading since the early 80’s but never bothered with 9mm because it was such a pain to retrieve brass so I sold my S&W model 39(big regret) and only shot my .41 mag up until about 15 years ago when I added a couple .38sp, .357mag, and several 9mm’s. So when I finally started loading for 9mm I had a few problems since it’s quite different than straight wall revolver cartridges. I won’t go into all my trials and tribulations but basically once I started using an undersized sizing die all my problems disappeared. But, I don’t shoot lead in my 9mm’s, strictly copper plated so them being undersized a bit wasn’t a problem. Just lately I’ve added the NOE powder through expanders to my regimen and I bet they would eliminate any undersized case mouth problems since you can get them in the proper size not to swage a cast bullet and they are implemented post sizing. The only issue with these expanders is they’re only designed to work with Lee powder through dies, for me it’s not an issue since all my pistol reloading is done using the Pro Auto Disc powder measure.

Boolit Bub
    I had the bright idea to buy some 90 gr jacketed hollow points to load some screaming 9mm. Those things were so short I couldn't get enough neck tension to hang onto them with "thin walled brass". I bought a Lee "U" die and it seemed to solve the problem. YMMV

You'll find the small base dies for several popular cartridges, including .223, .308, 9mm, .45 ACP, etc. I've got one for .45 ACP (all of those mentioned, actually...) and its main function is in ironing out the bulge near the base of cases fired in Glocks and recovered from the range. It does a good job, but one need a sturdy, solidly mounted press like a Rockchucker and even then it requires a lot of effort on the handle. You'll need to then run the cases through a neck/mouth expander before attempting to seat the new bullet. You may then see a slight bulge where the base of the new bullet is located inside the case, but as long as it will pass in and out of a Lee Carbide Factory Crimp die you're good to go.

DG

Boolit Master
    No, not all of them. In fact, not even most of them.
    There ARE blowback pistols in many major pistol calibers, but the majority of pistols use a locking system of some sort to prevent the action from opening until chamber pressures have dropped well below their peak. This is in contrast to blowback actions, which use only the recoil spring tension and the bolt mass to resist the highest chamber pressures generated by the round.
    If memory serves, the inexpensive but remarkably effective Hi-Point pistols are blowback actions, but they're the only ones I can name, off the top of my head. Conversely, I think the majority of Pistol-Caliber Carbines (PCCs) currently available operate on blow-back actions. The only exception that I can think of is the SIG MPX in 9mm.

As for the use of a sizing die that sizes the cases too small at the case mouth, I can think of no real reason for it. I guess it COULD be to provide extra friction between case and projectile when loading base-jacketed projectiles, but that is all I can come up with. If the die IS a reject, a bit of polishing in the case neck area might make it less troublesome.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Don't forget the Astra pistols....400, 600/43....blowbacks in 9mm Largo and Luger.

DG

Most .380's and lower power centerfire autos are blowback. It takes too much slide weight to slow the slide speed of larger calibers down. That's why Hi-point has such a huge slide on theirs--made of zinc to save on cost.

Actually my 380 Astra(star) was like a 1911.
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Actually my 380 Astra(star) was like a 1911.
    It is better if they are. Less recoil spring to overcome when chambering. I've always felt my wife's blowback Bersa was ridiculous because of the high effort required to chamber a round. That type of gun is intended for someone recoil sensitive who may not be super strong and it has just about as much recoil as a regular locked breech gun and is hard to work the slide.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast