Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Lee REAL boolits

Lee REAL boolits

Hi All,

Does anyone here use the Lee REAL boolits? If one were to powder coat them, would you still need lube? With all of the other smokeless cartridges that I load, if coated, no need for lube…. Wondering if that applies here, with BP or Pyrodex….
    Just because it’s a bad idea…
    …. Doesn’t mean it won’t be a good time !

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I use the 250's and 300's. Biggest problem I've had is that they come out undersize if the mold isn't hot enough or your casting technique is off. They are harder to load than others too. I now use PRB or Maxi Hunters in mine, so I could make you a deal on the molds if you like. I would be happy to send you a handful of the boolits to try, just let me know.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    I wondered the same, but other threads on here have mentioned that the lube does more than just prevent leading. Apparently it would become more difficult to remove fouling. The consensus was PC if you wish, but still use lube either on the bullet or on an over powder wad. Sorry, I haven't tried as I was convinced it may just cause other issues.

I wonder if a coat or two of PC, lubed or not, would help the undersize?
    Just because it’s a bad idea…
    …. Doesn’t mean it won’t be a good time !

I highly doubt that powder coating would would be at all effective at keeping fouling soft. If the R.E.A.L. bullet were PC'd I'd still slather BP lube into the generous lube grooves. The R.E.A.L. bullets shot well in my rifled musket .58
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn