Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rem 700 Extractor

Rem 700 Extractor

I have a broken extractor in my 700. It's the riveted type, with a 222 bolt face. I've had to replace it once around 20 years ago. The supply seems to be drying up, so I'm looking at options. I'm looking at one of the M16 extractor conversions. Would have to modify the bolt, but that's not a problem. It would certainly solve the supply issue. In researching online, there seems to be a wide swing of opinions on doing any type of conversion, which one, etc.

Any thoughts, opinions, and experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    “The State that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools.”
    ― Thucydides

“The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.”
    ― Thucydides

A buddy had the extractor break on his 700 Sendero.
    After that, I had the one on my .30-06 700 replaced with a Sako style.
    Brownell's sells them, but putting it in requires some precise machining.

If you're not a Master Machinist, I'd encourage sending the bolt out to have it installed.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

The extractor on my 223 Rem M700V which I've had since '72, broke several months ago. I've had the rifle and have shot out the factory barrel, had it set back 2" and rechambered and shot it out again. Replaced it with a new Kreiger barrel and the extractor finally broke. I couldn't find a replacement extractor to save my life. Had a friend I shoot with, who is a very good machinist/gunsmith, do the M16 conversion of which he has done many. It works perfectly and last month I set the club 40 shot 300 yard F class record with that rifle [400 with 35 Xs]. Ed is correct; unless you're a master machinist who knows how the extracort works send it to someone who is and does.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    My Hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    A buddy had the extractor break on his 700 Sendero.
    After that, I had the one on my .30-06 700 replaced with a Sako style.
    Brownell's sells them, but putting it in requires some precise machining.

If you're not a Master Machinist, I'd encourage sending the bolt out to have it installed.
    I've seen several reviews on Sako extractor installs. I pulled out my custom L461 and had a look at the extractor. Interesting way of doing it and some nice machining, as I would expect from Sako. I might have to look at that one.

I agree that it's not a project someone should undertake without adequate knowledge or skill. Good advice for sure.
    “The State that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools.”
    ― Thucydides

“The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.”
    ― Thucydides

Boolit Grand Master

222 Rivet styles extractors are currently available on eBay.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I had a Rem 722 M16 extractor install by LRI.
    A rather expensive job, but absolutely top-notch workmanship; would certainly do it again.
    I can post pics if anybody is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    The extractor on my 223 Rem M700V which I've had since '72, broke several months ago. I've had the rifle and have shot out the factory barrel, had it set back 2" and rechambered and shot it out again. Replaced it with a new Kreiger barrel and the extractor finally broke. I couldn't find a replacement extractor to save my life. Had a friend I shoot with, who is a very good machinist/gunsmith, do the M16 conversion of which he has done many. It works perfectly and last month I set the club 40 shot 300 yard F class record with that rifle [400 with 35 Xs]. Ed is correct; unless you're a master machinist who knows how the extracort works send it to someone who is and does.
    I've had this 700 since 1990. Those older 700's really will shoot, won't they? It's on it's third chambering. It was originally a 222, then was accurized in the mid to late 80"s in a tight-neck 222 magnum. I bought it from a guy in Nebraska who used it as his primary prairie dog rifle, so it had plenty of rounds down the barrel when I got it. The original (I think?) extractor broke around '97 or '98. Didn't have a problem finding one then, but I'm sure having a problem now.
    When the barrel started going downhill, I cut the barrel back again and rechambered it in 223 Ackley. I'm thinking if the barrel goes again, it will be new barrel time.
    The extractor broke about 6 months ago, and I've been trying to locate one since. I figure if a factory extractor will last another 25 years, I should be good to go. If I can find one. Hence the looking at options.
    I've been looking at the M16 extractor seriously. Glad to hear yours works so well. If one of those breaks, I've probably got a dozen on hand here. Supply problem solved.
    Excellent advice on the machine work. I couldn't agree more about having the right knowledge and skill, as well as having the right equipment and tooling, is mandatory for this kind of thing. There's at least 3 aspects of this modification just offhand that could lead to a serious debacle in trying to machine a bolt for an M16 extractor. I certainly wouldn't have let one of my machining students do this, for sure. Errors are too costly.
    ― Thucydides

― Thucydides

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Thank you. I'm looking at them now. Might buy one just to get me back up and running. Just the thought of how long they will be available in the future though led me down this road.
    ― Thucydides

― Thucydides

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel4k View Post
    A rather expensive job, but absolutely top-notch workmanship; would certainly do it again.
    Pics are always appreciated.
    Wish I still had my 722. And my 788's, for that matter....
    ― Thucydides

― Thucydides

I just looked at the LRI website. Looks like they do nice work. By the pics of their installation technique, they have the same mill and probing system that I have. Very handy to have. Although I made a lot of parts over the years without all the fancy doodads, they sure make life easier.
    ― Thucydides

― Thucydides

The cuts for the Sako style look pretty straight forward.
    However; if the bolt is miss cut, Remington won't sell ya a new one.
    The want the barrel & receiver sent back to the factory so they can fit the new bolt.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Wasn't there several months ago or I would have tried one. Oh well, the M16 Extractor is working very well.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

I have install both Sako and M16 extractors, both work fine. The machine work is a bit tricky.Pacific tool and gauge has replacement extractors for the Remington 700 for under $20

The cuts for the Sako style look pretty straight forward.
    However; if the bolt is miss cut, Remington won't sell ya a new one.
    The want the barrel & receiver sent back to the factory so they can fit the new bolt.
    The cuts for the extractor are indeed straight forward.
    My appreciation for the way Sako built everything impresses me every time I look at their work.
    Yep one mistake would be costly as in new bolt time.
    ― Thucydides

― Thucydides

Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    I have install both Sako and M16 extractors, both work fine. The machine work is a bit tricky.Pacific tool and gauge has replacement extractors for the Remington 700 for under $20
    I just looked at their website and the only replacement extractor I saw for a 222 bolt was one of the new style.
    Mine is riveted. Unless I'm missing something, which is certainly possible.
    It's my understanding that the new style snap-in won't work with the riveted bolt head cutout? I could be mistaken about that as well, but that's what I've been told.
    ― Thucydides

― Thucydides

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker TN View Post
    I just looked at the LRI website. Looks like they do nice work. By the pics of their installation technique, they have the same mill and probing system that I have. Very handy to have. Although I made a lot of parts over the years without all the fancy doodads, they sure make life easier.
    Here is the photo album I uploaded with closeup pics of the extractor, as well as the rifle platform.
    https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/e4yij...8jlw582fl&dl=0
    (if a popup window asks you about installing the dropbox software, you can just close out that popup and continue to viewing the pics)

A sample pic;
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230213_200220.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	321691

A comparison of the M16 extractor vs. a Sako, indicates that the modification for the Sako is less than optimum. This M16 extractor is a monster.
    Last edited by Kestrel4k; 01-03-2024 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker TN View Post
    The cuts for the extractor are indeed straight forward.
    If I had the tools & skills, but not having done the cuts before--
    I'd be inclined to duplicate a few bolt faces out of stock to practice on before doing the actual bolt.
    The practice pieces wouldn't need the lugs, so round stock should work.

When faced with the expense of having a custom laminated stock checkered,
    I bought the checkering tools, then practiced on a old broken one and a baseball bat.
    After the practice on simple designs, the new stock came out pretty good.

EVERYONE!

Here is the photo album I uploaded with closeup pics of the extractor, as well as the rifle platform.
    https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/e4yij...8jlw582fl&dl=0
    (if a popup window asks you about installing the dropbox software, you can just close out that popup and continue to viewing the pics)

A sample pic;
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230213_200220.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	321691

A comparison of the M16 extractor vs. a Sako, indicates that the modification for the Sako is less than optimum. This M16 extractor is a monster.
    Thanks for the pic. They've got it up tight to the lug like I figured it would have to be. Did they bush the bolt face as well?
    ― Thucydides

― Thucydides

If I had the tools & skills, but not having done the cuts before--
    I'd be inclined to duplicate a few bolt faces out of stock to practice on before doing the actual bolt.
    The practice pieces wouldn't need the lugs, so round stock should work.

When faced with the expense of having a custom laminated stock checkered,
    I bought the checkering tools, then practiced on a old broken one and a baseball bat.
    After the practice on simple designs, the new stock came out pretty good.
    That's a good idea. Having a set-up piece is pretty standard for any machining job. Saves a lot of grief with valuable parts. Not always possible, but if I can I always do. I turned a couple of blanks today while I was making some parts on the lathe. In a few days I'm going to set up the 4th axis on the CNC mill for a project, might just throw the blanks in when I'm finished and see about the cuts for an AR extractor.

Checkering a stock yourself is certainly an accomplishment. Wood has never been my thing honestly. I would get better at it if I did it more... maybe.
    Metal is my thing. Have only been doing machining, tool & die, mold making, and tooling design for a little over 30 years. Still learning every day. Fortunately, I have access to a full R&D shop will all the cool toys, manual and CNC. Well, maybe not all. I'm looking at getting a water jet, wire EDM, and a couple of new 3D printers this coming year.
    ― Thucydides

― Thucydides

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast