MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Project Remington Model 6 Pump Rifle

Boolit Man

Project Remington Model 6 Pump Rifle

Son gave me a project Rifle for Christmas, a 1980s Remington model 6 in 308 that had been much abused.Previous owner said it would not hit a watermelon at 50 yards. Unwrapped it and looked it over, ruff exterior 75%blue, cheek piece removed from the stock with a hatchet, and sanded with a rock or a horseshoe rasp. Comb of the stock ran uphill from the butt plate towards the receiver. (never a good idea - stock recoils into your cheek). Never had a scope mounted. First part of the bore at the muzzle had visible rust. So Dec.26th I needed some entertainment, went into the shop and stripped the rifle down, put the barrel in my old Navy surplus lathe and cut the barrel at 18 inches, crowned it and called it good. Cleaned the barrel, put in a bore scope and chamber and bore looked good.(a .299 plug gauge would not inter the factory muzzle, after cutting a .300 gauge would slide all the way down the oiled bore to the chamber.) Now the stock, cheek piece still stood proud of the stock between 1/8 and 1/4 inch in places. Rasp, file, and sandpaper cleaned up the gouged off cheek piece, scraped off the finish on the entire stock. Added a couple coats of True Oil, and it became a bit more presentable. Added a 1 to 3x Weaver Scope I had and a dozenish reloads(31141,19.3 grains IMR 4227 - old 30/40 krag load, nlce and mild for test load). Used 7 rnds to zero scope and last 5 rnds went into 3/4 inch at 65 yds(corner to corner of back yard pistol range) guess the old girl has a few hunts left in her. Danny

Now it’s accurate AND handy!
    That’s the one with the cartridge head in the receiver, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Now it’s accurate AND handy!
    That’s the one with the cartridge head in the receiver, correct?

Yes it has a 308 case head in the receiver. Last model of the pump rifle, I think it was discontinued in the mid 1980's. I will be happy with less 2 inches at 100 yards with hunting loads. Also want to put a recoil pad on it, not for the recoil but so it won't slide down when I lean the rifle against the wall.

I haven’t shot many of those Remington pumps- but the ones I did shoot would hang with bolt actions with factory ammo.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I haven’t shot many of those Remington pumps- but the ones I did shoot would hang with bolt actions with factory ammo.

Had an older one(had the round grooved forend) for a short time probably 35 years ago in 270 Winchester and it shot well. Have always wanted another one.

Boolit Master

Remington models are always confusing. The original model 6 was a cheep rolling block 22.

Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    Remington models are always confusing. The original model 6 was a cheep rolling block 22.
    Yes, the headline threw me off for a bit.
    The 742 semi auto in the later time frame was called a Model 4.
    And the 760 was the Model 6.
    I’m thinking that after that they settled on Model 7600 for the pump action and 7400 - then 750- for the semiautomatic until production stopped when Remington went bankrupt.