MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Round ball?

Boolit Master

Round ball?

I have a 20gauge trade gun by NSW that Ric on this site built for me. I’ve only use it with shot for squirrels and rabbits but TX has a late muzzleloader season in my county so any quick tips for accurate round ball loading techniques would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    Does your 20 ga have a smooth bore.
    I had a TC .56 SB for a while.
    That is basically 28 ga.
    I had to work up my own loads to determine what patch and if I used over powder cards or actual wads.
    For bird shot and some slugs , I used the 28 ga plastic wads.
    Your loads of powder have to be worked up also , but weren't that complicated.

I've tried everything and in my own particular gun a cloth patch like you'd use in a rifle works best. Yours will probably be different.

Start out with a .600 rb with an .018 patch and 60gr 2f.

Boolit Master

I shoot an old NW trade gun from time to time. To shoot a PRB out of a trade gun and do it well takes lots of practice. 12 years ago I could could explode a half a dozen gallon milk jugs at 75 yds in a row with as many shots. Over the summer I couldn’t do it consistently at 25 yds, because I hadn’t shot anything out of it but #5 shot for 10 years. My suggestion for what it’s worth is if you truly want to hunt a deer and not have it turn into coyote and wild hog food, you practice a couple times a week over the coming year and be ready for next season. Your other option is to buy a good flintlock rifle and try to figure out what load and patch combo it likes rather quickly, because accurately shooting a patched round ball out of a smooth bore is something that doesn’t just happen. It is a hard earned acquired skill learned over time.
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I use 65 gr. 3FFF, round ball, pillow ticking patch.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Thumbs up

Start out with a .600 rb with an .018 patch and 60gr 2f. Freak on a leash or Waksupi's advice work!

Experiment with different thickness patches and lubes, ball size and 2F and 3F. My 62 fowler loves 3 F but my father in laws Tulle preferred 2F.