Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: .45 (long) Colt versus .45 ACP heads

Boolit Mold

.45 (long) Colt versus .45 ACP heads

Hello. I accidentally purchased a box of 200 gr .45 (long) colt cast heads to be loaded as acp. I noticed that the cannelure do not exactly match the .45 acp that I have been using. Are the ok to load in the ACP?

Thank you

Boolit Grand Master

Check dia 45 colt could be .454 or slightly bigger. 45 acp is .451-.452. The larger dia might cause function issues making the neck to tight in the chamber.

More info please:

When you say “heads”, I assume you mean bullets.

I believe, 200 grains is the original weight John Moses Browning used for the ACP, so that weight would be fine.

What is the shape of the bullet? Will it fit in the gun?

As mentioned above, the diameter is important. If they are too big, they can be sized down.

If you don’t have that equipment yet, (sizing die) then I recommend you trade them with someone on the forum.

BNE
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Mold
    They are sized .452 and are RNFP, the same as the bullets I have been using.

The weight (grs.) is no problem, assuming the correct amount of powder for that weight (refer to loading manual). Whether or not you crimp into, or load to the groove on the bullet is of little matter except when it comes to holding the bullet into the case under recoil. Of some concern might be the diameter of the bullet itself, as for many years .45 Colt was .454" and .45 ACP was .452", but this has changed to where today both are a nominal .452"-- again, of not much concern in the bullets are cast and not jacketed; although shooting the .452" diameter might give you poor accuracy in the bigger bore. Terminology: "Heads" are called bullets or boolits here, and head refers to the base of the case where the rim and primer are located. Good luck with your project.

DG

Boolit Mold
    Thank you all for the advice and the clarification of boolits on your forum.

Boolit Master

Remember that 45 acp cartridges head spaces off the case mouth - So crimping too much into a cannelured bullet may cause rounds that will improperly head space - as in to far into the chamber
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Total Safety View Post
    They are sized .452 and are RNFP, the same as the bullets I have been using.
    200 grain, .452 RNFP is what I use for .45 Colt. Those boolits DO work in my 1911 .45 acp, but they need to be seated deeper than the recommended minimum COL. I tried just a few that way, and they shot just fine, but then I got a mold to make 230 grain round nosed. I like it better.

Boolit Master

Loaded plenty of the 200 grain rnfp in my PT1911and Llama. Functioned perfectly. Just size the bell out of the case mouth, no crimp.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by square butte View Post
    Remember that 45 acp cartridges head spaces off the case mouth - So crimping too much into a cannelured bullet may cause rounds that will improperly head space - as in to far into the chamber
    You beat me to it!

Boolit Mold
    Thank you all again for the info. I understand the affect of crimping has on head space. The taper die that I use holds the boolits tight. I will load a few, shoot one and check the col of the next one remaining in the magazine. I will repeat until empty. If one has changed I will remove the cartridge that is in the barrel.

Boolit Master
    bullets, bullet, bullets!!!

Boolit Master

A HEAD IS FOUND ON A BOAT, AND IT IS NOT HEAVY METAL. Caps Lock was on accidentally but I think it is appropriate.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Grand Master

There is a "head" found on a cartridge and it is not the bullet. It is found on the other end of the cartridge where the cartridge identification is found, i.e. the "headstamp".

To answer the OP's question; If the 200 gr 45 Colt bullets he purchased are of "RF" style, when seated to an appropriate length to pass a "plunk" test, they may be too short to give reliable feeding in some 45 ACP semi autos. This is especially the case with pistols having feed ramps integral with the barrel. What is referred to as a "three point FTF" is the result. Most often with the first couple rounds out of a full magazine or with the last round. For example, my M1911s with standard linked barrels will feed cartridges loaded with Lee's 452-200-RFs all day long and into next year w/o a single hiccup. However, my P14 with integral feed ramp will not get through a single magazine w/o 2 - 3 three point jams. The difference is simply the P14 has a sharper and short angle to the feed ramp along with the bullet profile is hitting the top of the chamber to soon so the bullet doesn't pivot forward raining the rim sufficiently to feed, thus the FTF jam.
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 01-03-2024 at 10:27 AM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla