Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Patmarlins Push Through Adaptor for LEE Sizing Dies

Patmarlins Push Through Adaptor for LEE Sizing Dies

Just talked to Patmarlin and he's coming out with a new adaptor that will allow push through boolit gas checking and sizing rear end first with any standard press using your Lyman/RCBS and Saeco top (bullet nose) punches with all LEE sizing dies.

What I love about this is I cast and shoot PB's (plain base) for all of my firearm calibers, and being able to swage my PB gas checks base first into my LEE dies would be a game changer. All my gas check shank molds too really. I would like to have one for each top punch I use.

I've got several sets of his Checkmaker Gas Check dies. They have served me well and performed great over the years. I've only had to have him rebuild one set, my first in 30 caliber because frankly I beat the crap out of them running 1000's and 1000's of checks. Sent them in and he completely rebuilt them and they work like new.

Moderator Emeritus

Most Lyman top punches measure 1/2" in the middle. I fail to comprehend how that will push the boolit far enough into the Lee size die? But if it does push it far enough, the boolit is still in the die...or is there another part to this tool that pushes the boolit back out of the die through the entrance?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I don't know how it works because I don't have one and will be ordering several if they do work well. He knows what he's doing and makes good tools. I'm looking forward to it...

Boolit Master
    If it does work, why would you need several of them? Wouldn't you need only one adapter?

Will it work with a Lee APP?
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Quote Originally Posted by gloob View Post
    If it does work, why would you need several of them? Wouldn't you need only one adapter?
    Well yes, you would actually only need one but I want once for each of my top punches.

It sounds like this adapter is designed to push BASE FIRST into the die

once it gets in there far enough, the top punch would push the nose in about 0.200 or so

the next bullet would push the first one through
    the first one would create a bit of resistance to the second one so the GC stays on tight and straight

If my thinking is Ok this morning
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Correct..!

Quote Originally Posted by nanuk View Post
    It sounds like this adapter is designed to push BASE FIRST into the die

once it gets in there far enough, the top punch would push the nose in about 0.200 or so

the next bullet would push the first one through
    the first one would create a bit of resistance to the second one so the GC stays on tight and straight

If my thinking is Ok this morning

Boolit Master
    I've tried blocking/pushing on the top bullet poking out of a Lee sizing die in order to put more pressure on the one going thru, to fully seat the check. When you do that hard enough to fully seat a too-tight gas check'd bullet, the nose of the one bullet bends and wrecks the check on the other that was already seated.

There are some ways around this. You could cut the top of the sizing die off, so that you can push the bullet from the top as it goes through, using a rod pressed through the top of the shortened die. Then after it goes fully through, you can knock the bullet over into a bin. But I don't think a top punch would get a bullet even that far through a sizing die.

The best solution I've found is to make the shank smaller to fit the gas check properly, with a custom die. Then the checks go on perfectly, nose first, just like regular bullet sizing.

I think a lot depends on how far down in diameter you're sizing, and how hard your alloy is. Also, you want to lube your bullets and die. if you're using a die ID diameter that's not trying to size down a drastic amount, with lube and a workable alloy that's not hard the process should work well. I use a mix of Lanolin and alcohol for a spray lube when sizing and reloading.

Here it is...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lee Adaptor 1.jpg  

If you're not as yet you can get on Patmarlins email list at:

mail@patmarlins.com

I'm ordering some Adaptors.

From Patmarlins email...

Patmarlins Push Through Adaptor for LEE Sizing Dies

Limited on photos as yet. It’s not up on my website yet.

There’s one size bored for your (Lyman) H&I or RCBS top nose punches.

It’s another way of bullet sizing and installing gas checks.

You place this in your reloading press. Screw in a LEE sizing die up top. Install an RCBS or H&I top nose punch that fits your bullet nose that you want to size, with the brass set screw in your press. Place the bullet on it’s nose with the gas check on then push the bullet (with your ram) up into the LEE sizing die base first.

This installs your gas check and sizes your bullet. Continue to feed your bullets. The last one you’ll need the LEE PIN or a wood dowel or something to push your last bullet through.

If you would like one send me a message and I will send you a PayPal payment request, or you can send me a payment.

mail@patmarlins.com

I’m runnning them now and shipping.

Warmest regards,

Pat

Patmarlins™ -Specialty Products for Casting and Reloading

Can't wait to try one out.
    This tool should work well with my setup. Specially for gas checking my plain base boolits.'